Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 1 help?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

In the mocks (DEB) there was a question on styles of writing in the journalistic piece. Does anyone know where i could get a list of examples of such styles? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

dynamot wrote: »
    In the mocks (DEB) there was a question on styles of writing in the journalistic piece. Does anyone know where i could get a list of examples of such styles? Thanks in advance

Did ye not learn about that? Styles like Informative, persuasive, use of rhetorical questions, short sentences. Do you have the book Key Notes 2010? If you have any sort of notes book then it will be on the section of paper 1. Sorry I couldn't help more.

P.S I don't think you should take a journalistic question. A speech or letter always averages the higher marks awarded because its easier and simpler to write. Oh and ALWAYS look at the 3 different comprehensions and question B's first. Pick and choose the simplest combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

ok thanks. We never went over ANY paper 1 stuff! Are there many others apart from the one's you've mentioned already?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

The B types are usually something like
    • short speech to class
    • informative article
    • article for school website
    • text for a radio speech
    • letters
    If you have a revision book like revise wise or something like that or could get one it's worth a look. I used to think that there was no technique to paper one and it'll be alright on the night type of thing but there are actually guidelines and ways to get through it the way the marking scheme allocates the marks.

Good luck

Advertisement