Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing old threads

Options
  • 04-06-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭

I just tried to do a search of this forum to see if there was anything about old threads being revived, but the search would not allow 'old' so I didn't get very far.

So apologies if this has come up before, but I have recently seen a few instances where someone has put a reply on an old thread, and a mod has asked them not to revive old threads, and has closed it.

This could be a bit off-putting to a newbie, and even an oldie who somehow got onto a thread and didn't realise how old it was. So would it not be a better idea to close threads after a period of time rather than waiting for them to be revived? Is that possible?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Try searching using the word zombie instead of the word old. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Seriously, old threads that get 'brought back to life' are known as 'zombie threads'.

Search the forum with the term 'zombie' and you'll get a load of results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No it would not be a good idea to autolock threads after a certain time imo, especially in the All Things Retro forum, as many threads get revived and attract new users to the site via googling snippets of information that they may harbour from their humble pasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

javaboy wrote: »
    Try searching using the word zombie instead of the word old. Honestly.

Sorry, I read your 'honestly' as meaning 'are you stupid or what' when you really meant 'its true'.

But whether they are zombies or what ever they are called, I think if they are going to be left open then it should be possible to ressurect them without being 'told off' and the thread closed. The thread gets closed either way, so why not do it before people make the mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I dont see any issue with reviving old threads. If the new post is relevant to the original topic, whats the problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally, I'd feel if the topic is more than say a year or two old, it's worth starting a new thread. If something from 2006 is bumped - and I always find it odd how much work sometimes has to be gone through search-wise to bump said thread! - well then the original posters in the thread are probably not going to retort for plenty of reasons (quoting a four year old post doesn't guarantee a response from the OP!), and the information could be outdated. They're best closed. No-ones going to complain about a new thread discussing a topic that hasn't been mentioned in five years. Yet four year old posts on a subject - especially in technological areas - aren't going be all that relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Autolock would suit for some forums, but not for many of them tbh...
    WindSock wrote: »
    No it would not be a good idea to autolock threads after a certain time imo, especially in the All Things Retro forum...

Stop thinking about yourself all the time... For you, It's all me, me, me........ :p

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The only problem with old threads is you dont always realise they are old. So you go to comment on some discussion about poor service in x shop and you realise that the OP was made in 2005. :o

Sometimes resurected threads are just a waste of time, some are ok, but should really have a post within them to say 'bumped from the year whatever'. Only threads where the subject is pretty much dead and buried should be closed imo.

Oryx wrote: »
    Only threads where the subject is pretty much dead and buried should be closed imo.

Or just moved to Dev's new condolence forum. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

looksee wrote: »
    Sorry, I read your 'honestly' as meaning 'are you stupid or what' when you really meant 'its true'.

Truthfully, he probably meant both.

Nah I was being sincere. Wish I'd used that word instead. Honestly sounds pretty sarcastic. Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Nah I was being sincere. Wish I'd used that word instead. Honestly sounds pretty sarcastic. Really.

Yeah, right.

Autolock would suit for some forums, but not for many of them tbh...

Most things like these are generally site-wide.

Stop thinking about yourself all the time... For you, It's all me, me, me........ :p

I am not my (moderated) forum ;)
    Yeah, right.

Of course! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Here's a nice example of a necrobump'd thread that should have been left open, imo

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055294586

I just happened to venture into the Philosophy forum and noticed it, thought I'd post it here while it was being discussed.

Just because it's an old thread doesn't mean that it isn't relevant today, and given the fact that the poster was new to the site; it isn't going to instill a sense of ease in them or make them find the place very welcoming. It's not rocket science, there should be some discretion in moderation instead of the concrete idea that any bumped thread is a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Some mods definately take the cleaning up process too far. This thread was closed in the Limerick forum recently for being a zombie thread, even though it was only 9 months old.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055663728&page=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Once it's not "time sensitive", don't see the need to lock/delete it tbh. Wildly out of date though, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

looksee wrote: »
    I just tried to do a search of this forum to see if there was anything about old threads being revived, but the search would not allow 'old' so I didn't get very far.

So apologies if this has come up before, but I have recently seen a few instances where someone has put a reply on an old thread, and a mod has asked them not to revive old threads, and has closed it.

This could be a bit off-putting to a newbie, and even an oldie who somehow got onto a thread and didn't realise how old it was. So would it not be a better idea to close threads after a period of time rather than waiting for them to be revived? Is that possible?

In some cases, you get posters who start arguing with people over things they posted years ago. Like here - Hobbes posted that in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

WindSock wrote:
    No it would not be a good idea to autolock threads after a certain time imo, especially in the All Things Retro forum, as many threads get revived and attract new users to the site via googling snippets of information that they may harbour from their humble pasts.
    And there is NOTHING WRONG with when a thread was last replied to!

I have found alot of good threads since being here with last replys from 2004,etc and i am glad the staff doesnt cut me down for replying to them...

I mostly find this problem on USA run sites,sites with staff from other countries (such as this) dont make such a big deal about nothing!!

Dude111 wrote: »
    And there is NOTHING WRONG with when a thread was last replied to!

I have found alot of good threads since being here with last replys from 2004,etc and i am glad the staff doesnt cut me down for replying to them...

I mostly find this problem on USA run sites,sites with staff from other countries (such as this) dont make such a big deal about nothing!!

So say for example someone digs up a thread from say 2004 from someone asking "What's the best phone/mp3 player out at the moment".
    You think this thread is going to be relevant in 2010 given how many models of phones and mp3 players come out every month?!

• Advertisement

Magenta wrote: »
    So say for example someone digs up a thread from say 2004 from someone asking "What's the best phone/mp3 player out at the moment".
    You think this thread is going to be relevant in 2010 given how many models of phones and mp3 players come out every month?!

Obviously not. So a mod will probably close it if that happens. What's the problem?

Obviously not. So a mod will probably close it if that happens. What's the problem?

My post was directed to Dude111.

Perhaps a PM would have been more appropriate? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

But this is Feedback, I thought Magenta gave good feedback there, why suggest a Pm?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Here's a nice example of a necrobump'd thread that should have been left open, imo

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055294586
    Aidric wrote: »
    Some mods definately take the cleaning up process too far. This thread was closed in the Limerick forum recently for being a zombie thread, even though it was only 9 months old.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055663728&page=8

I cannot understand thread locks like this, personally.

What harm were these resurrected threads causing?

It kind of defeats the purpose of a public message forum... And I don't use PMs, except for mods and admins. If I have something to say, I say it in public ;)

It kind of defeats the purpose of a public message forum...

Uh huh.

Oh sorry, I guess that last post was directed at javaboy, maybe I shouldn't have replied ;)

Uh huh.

Oh sorry, I guess that last post was directed at javaboy, maybe I shouldn't have replied ;)

Someone gets it. :)

Uh huh.

Someone gets it. :)

Is this a thread about resurrecting old threads, or a thread about making digs at me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Is this a thread about resurrecting old threads, or a thread about making digs at me?

No one is making digs at you. The point is that, regardless of who you addressed your original post to, anyone can reply to you.

Advertisement