Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing old threads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It might be handy to have some auto-generated notification indicating that the thread was over a year old or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Earthhorse wrote: »
    No one is making digs at you. The point is that, regardless of who you addressed your original post to, anyone can reply to you.

Thanks Earthhorse, I was slow on the uptake there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Thanks Earthhorse, I was slow on the uptake there.

I didn't get it at first either, tbh. Took a minute for the penny to drop. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

RopeDrink wrote: »
    That wouldn't be handy at all in my opinion - To implement that would take a lot of work for absolutely no reward.

A script to send a PM to the appropriate Mods/CMods stating, yo yo, that thread over there 40 pages down that you can't see is now 2 years old, keep an eye on it!

Not particularly handy considering old threads are absolutely harmless and don't need any Monitoring at all unless bumped - It doesn't do anything that a simple 5 second judgement call from a Moderator can't do *IF* an old thread is bumped and requires a decision to either be left alone or locked.

I can't honestly believe that there is anything out there that needs to be considered when it comes to dealing with old threads... Nothing.
    I understood that to mean you get notified if you try to post on such a thread. Same as you get a notification screen if you try to enter a forum youre not allowed in. Except this could let you past if you choose to post anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Strike 2, same mod as in my earlier post. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055793493&page=3
    I fail to see the reason for closing this thread. Ok, it was from January of this year but it's the sort of discussion that could carry on as the OP's idea progresssed. It wasn't doing any harm, nor was it bumped for trolling or non sensical reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Often a simple PM to the closing mod will be enough for them to reconsider. I know I have on occasion.
    Maybe instead of "OMG you closed the thread you ****" try "If you don't mind, please reopen thread because I think it still has value."
    When you start with "Why" you risk getting people's back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Its beginning to get me, nevermind a blanket lock on threads > X time. Discretion or relevance should be brought into the equation by a mod. a thread informing or asking a question should be the last to be closed. Someone might be asking about a service in an area, a thread like that should never be closed. An informative thread should never be closed unless it goes off track.

To me on some boards its like a script is being ran checking new posts against thread start time and threads are closed without discretion or checking for relevance.

Case in point, to me it was informing the limerick area of an Arsenals supporters club for a meet up. Post it on the soccer forum and it'd be on the 2nd or 3rd page in an hour and lost. I don't see the point in someone finding that thread having to start a new thread and say "hey about that thread you started a few months back."

Discretion and common sense is needed not blanket closing. Yes zombie threads can be annoying but locking thread without discretion is more annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Its beginning to get me, nevermind a blanket lock on threads > X time. Discretion or relevance should be brought into the equation by a mod. a thread informing or asking a question should be the last to be closed. Someone might be asking about a service in an area, a thread like that should never be closed. An informative thread should never be closed unless it goes off track.

To me on some boards its like a script is being ran checking new posts against thread start time and threads are closed without discretion or checking for relevance.

Case in point, to me it was informing the limerick area of an Arsenals supporters club for a meet up. Post it on the soccer forum and it'd be on the 2nd or 3rd page in an hour and lost. I don't see the point in someone finding that thread having to start a new thread and say "hey about that thread you started a few months back."

Discretion and common sense is needed not blanket closing. Yes zombie threads can be annoying but locking thread without discretion is more annoying.

That thread was not closed for being a zombie, it was closed to prevent the OP bumping it imperpituity when it wasn't going to get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sorry getting it mixed with the olds i was kinda going for closure in general.The thread was doing no harm and it was the first i saw of it and was genuinely interested in the subject. Any newcomers could miss out on it. I'm too lazy to search stuff 90% of the time(as i'm sure others are too) but if i see somethn that peeks my interest i'll look at it, like that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Sorry getting it mixed with the olds i was kinda going for closure in general.The thread was doing no harm and it was the first i saw of it and was genuinely interested in the subject. Any newcomers could miss out on it. I'm too lazy to search stuff 90% of the time(as i'm sure others are too) but if i see somethn that peeks my interest i'll look at it, like that thread.

The rule on the closure of old threads is clearly there in the charter of the Limerick city forum. I wrote the rule when the charter was created and have applied it fairly.

If more people read forum charters before posting then it would save a lot of unnecessery angst.

I can't help it if people are too lazy to read the forum rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm aware of the irony of bumping this thread, but last night there was an old thread (from 2007) on malapropisms bumped and it was first locked, then deleted. Locking it with a "Start a new thread" message would have surely sufficed - it was pretty rude and off-hand towards users imo for it to be made just vanish with no explanation. And it's an example of a non time-sensitive topic - what difference does it make that it was started in 2007?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The 'malapropisms' thread wasn't deleted, only the "bump" post was deleted. That has the side-effect of meaning its last post was in 2007, so in the listing of the threads, it appears way down the list.

Sharpshooter's explanation is in the Help Desk thread here. Could probably have been handled with a little more care. Given it was apparently the reviver's first post, they may not have realised what they were doing, so locking it with a message to start a new thread, or even just an on-thread admonishment without locking it would have seemed sufficient.

OTOH, you couldn't pay me to mod AH, so what do I know

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The AHs mods have no problem with new threads but dragging a thread from 2007 just to get your first post is not on.

Absolutely a ridiculous thing to say, is it a requirement of boards.ie that your first post be a brand new thread?

Ridiculous

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I deleated it as it was from 2007 and by the OP's admission should have been posted in Humour.

Is retrospective moderation allowed? Locking a thread because of a mistaken post three years ago could set a ridiculous precedent.

Rule for the sake of a rule tbh. I see the point in rules, I don't see the point in rules that serve no purpose other than to exist.

Just saw the Help Desk thread - wrong forum? Bull**** frankly. It's totally an AH type thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    Just saw the Help Desk thread - wrong forum? Bull**** frankly. It's totally an AH type thread.

Some mods get AH and some don't.

Some also get it when it suits them and then don't when it doesn't.

Anyway, my opinion would be that most threads should be fine when bumped.

A thread from 2005 like:

"Will we ever get a decent national football stadium"

.. should be closed and a new thread started as most points on the thread are most likely now redundant.

However, a thread like:

"What's your first ever post on Boards?"

.. should be left alone in my eyes as the replies are timeless and will always be relevant and worth reading.

A good moderator should be able the difference, shouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Some mods get AH and some don't.

Some also get it when it suits them and then don't when it doesn't.

That's it in a nutshell really.

Every thread in AH could be shipped off to another forum, but AH has its own
    'tone' as such when it comes to its content and your thread would certainly fit the bill.

The moderating of AH is baffling at the best of times, and while there are some really great mods of the forum, there are a couple who provide head scratching on a regular basis.

I won't name names as it's been done before and we all know them at this stage but it would be nice if those in question took at a look at themselves and did the best thing by the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's simple. It doesn't need any indepth analysis.

If the bump in on topic and relevant, then leave it open. If it's not, then close it.

No ifs and buts. Just as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Terry wrote: »
    It's simple. It doesn't need any indepth analysis.

If the bump in on topic and relevant, then leave it open. If it's not, then close it.

No ifs and buts. Just as above.

Thats a fair point, but so is this. The option is there to start a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Was the thread actually deleted? That's way out of line, imo. Moderators don't own threads and should not be given free reign to enforce their own rules at whim, at least without strong justification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Quick mod note here:

This is a feedback thread on the closing of old threads.

This is NOT a feedback thread for people to vent and complain about particular moderators. I'm going back over this thread to remove posts that are aimed at a particular mods abilities or behaviour not directly connected to the locking of an old thread.

I would really like Feedback to be just that, feedback where you can give the good and the bad without fear of reprisal or at the worst end up with a good debate on your hands, but if people are going to insist of turning every thread into a soapbox to air personal issues or opinions of particular users or mods then I'm going to have to start using the infraction/ban options available. If you have a complaint about a mod, take it up with the mod, their co-mods, their cmod or if justifiable, an admin. DO NOT just take any opportunity to post negatively about them wherever you see an opening.

Fair point LoLth, and I'm not having a go at the moderator - just a-hatin' the game, not the player.
    28064212 wrote: »
    The 'malapropisms' thread wasn't deleted, only the "bump" post was deleted. That has the side-effect of meaning its last post was in 2007, so in the listing of the threads, it appears way down the list.
    It would have to be deletion of the "bump" post plus all of the posts that followed it for the thread to drop way down the list though.
    Terry wrote: »
    I'd add to that: if the topic is one that is always timely and the date stamps on the posts have no bearing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tallon wrote: »
    Absolutely a ridiculous thing to say, is it a requirement of boards.ie that your first post be a brand new thread?

Ridiculous

No, but it could at least be on a thread that hasn't been dead for three years.

Also, since when is it appropriate to quote a Helpdesk post in feedback, just so you can have a go at the poster. Why not post in the Helpdesk thread? Oh that's right, you can't, and you know it. Now that's ridiculous, or as the #1 rule of this site might say, that's being a dick.

jor el wrote: »
    Doesn't make a blind bit of a difference - and locking/deleting it without saying a word (thus causing people to go to the moderator - any moderator - to ask why) is only creating needless extra work for the moderator, not to mind being dismissive of the posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Also, since when is it appropriate to quote a Helpdesk post in feedback, just so you can have a go at the poster. Why not post in the Helpdesk thread? Oh that's right, you can't, and you know it. Now that's ridiculous, or as the #1 rule of this site might say, that's being a dick.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Doesn't make a blind bit of a difference - and locking/deleting it without saying a word (thus causing people to go to the moderator - any moderator - to ask why) is only creating needless extra work for the moderator, not to mind being dismissive of the posters.

I will always lock a zombie thread while I am deleating bumped posts, did you not do that Dudess, when you modded AHs?

It saves posts being left there after I have unlocked it and let it fall back into boards history.

I wasn't being dismissive of the posters, just deleting posts that answered a bumped zombie thread.

locking/deleting it without saying a word (thus causing people to go to the moderator - any moderator - to ask why) is only creating needless extra work for the moderator.

No one queried it with me, via pm, including yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Are you having a laugh? You don't need to talk to me like a dick yourself.

Nothing to do with the user/moderator, mearly pointing out that if thats the reason old threads are not allowed be brought up then it's a retarded one.

If you would kindly point me to the rule that says i'm not allowed quote a HD post then please post a link, or are you just talking out your....

I will always lock a zombie thread while I am deleating bumped posts, did you not do that Dudess, when you modded AHs?
    When the threads weren't time-sensitive? Not that I remember.
    I wasn't being dismissive of the posters
    Not intentionally so, but it left posters wondering wtf was the story, and in my opinion, posters should have been given an explanation in the form of the thread being locked and a message posted to it (that is, if the thread HAD to be locked - in my opinion it didn't).
    No one queried it with me, via pm, including yourself.
    There was a Help Desk thread and an After Hours one (ok, I admit, wrong place, but I genuinely thought it had been deleted by accident and a Help Desk thread probably would not have been seen til a long while later).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

@jor el : if you have an issue with a post, please report it.

@Dudess: similarly, if you have a problem with a mod decision, report it to the mod in question or the co-mods to discuss it. I think Sharpshooter has kindly answered enough questions on this matter and I am sure there are more important issues to attend to.

To get from the specific to the general:

Should zombie threads be locked?

Should they just have the bump post deleted?

Would a mod note not just leave the thread bumped?

should a mod not make a judgement call on the relevance of both the bump post to the original thread and the original thread to the current time (ie: a "me too" on "who do you think will win Big Brother 1" would not be as relevant as a "me too" in "I was seperated from my twin in the coombe hospital in 1970 on December 20th")?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

LoLth wrote: »
    @jor el : if you have an issue with a post, please report it.
    Sorry, shouldn't have kept that going.
    LoLth wrote: »
    Should zombie threads be locked?

Should they just have the bump post deleted?

Would a mod note not just leave the thread bumped?

should a mod not make a judgement call on the relevance of both the bump post to the original thread and the original thread to the current time

It should be a judgement call, with no hard and fast rule. If a bump is for spam, then the spam is deleted, and any mod note would be irrelevant and only serve to keep the thread at the front. If the post is completely irrelevant, then it could be deleted and the the thread locked. It would be easy enough for the poster to PM the forum mods to ask why their post disappeared, if they even noticed. In a lot of cases, a 1 post old-thread bumper will never be heard from again anyway.

If the thread is not time specific, then it could be left open, but an old thread will inevitably bring a host of IBTL and Zombie Thread posts, which only destroy the thread. Hence the majority of thread drag ups are simply closed in an attempt to pre-empt this.

I don't think there's a need to change the rules surrounding this issue. Mod discretion used, and any issue can be discussed in PM. The thread can always be re-opened anyway, or a new thread started with a link to the old closed thread for reference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement