Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing the border

Options
  • 04-06-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure this is a common query and I know its usually ok, but I've just been invited down to Mexico from California for the weekend (well past the border) and I'm trying to plan to go. However, I'm pretty sure if I have to get my DS-2019 signed, I don't have enough time to do it.

Anyone have any reassuring stories or even horror stories to help me on what to do? My visa is a multiple entry.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭alcon1984

Dono if this helps but when I was in Cali on a J1 we went to mexico at least once every week and never had any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

will you be driving or flying ?

driving .... you wont even need to show your passport when leaving USA, but will need to show it to cross the boarder going back into USA (they dont mind people leaving....but are picky about getting into the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I'll be driving. My room mates used to go down once a week two a few years ago to Tijuana and never had issues (until one lost his passport!). I just don't want to run into any issues not having the correct paper work. Hopefully the fact that I have my visa and a Cali drivers license should suffice!

Thanks guys!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I'll be driving. My room mates used to go down once a week two a few years ago to Tijuana and never had issues (until one lost his passport!). I just don't want to run into any issues not having the correct paper work. Hopefully the fact that I have my visa and a Cali drivers license should suffice!
    Since the Great Recession, it is recommended that you do not drive at night through TJ or other Mexican border towns. If your car has a flat or breaks down at night, you would be increasing your risk needlessly in border towns now having problems?

Not only that, we like your posts to the North America forum, and want you well and safe to continue posting in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Thanks Blue :)

I'm going to Rosarito nice and early, parking in a private parking lot and leaving the following afternoon, won't be going anywhere on my own or driving at night for any reason! Just going down to do some sight seeing and try some real Mexican food. I'll be back before you know it :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement