Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigel Havers hates you !!

• 04-06-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Havers wrote an article in 2004 the Daily Mail, criticising cyclists:
    "Today's pedal-pushers... appear to think they are above the law... [and are a] new army of Lycra-clad maniacs... I am heartily sick of the lot of them."[3] He added in 2006:
    "I was asked what annoys me most. I said cyclists, because they are all bastards, and since then it just hasn’t stopped".[

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i hate nigel havers . Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

James Martin yesterday, Nigel Havers today, ................ tomorrow.
    Who gives a sh*t anyway?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've never particularly liked him either, although to say I hate him would be taking it a bit far, as I've never met him

Not sure why we are digging up "news" from 4/6 years ago though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I like pie Nigel Havers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What do you expect from the Mail anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Who's Nigel Havers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

coolbeans wrote: »
    Who's Nigel Havers?

A bit part actor from "Chariots of fire" a good film made before most of ye were born :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Was watchin Coranation St few weeks back

he was playing a male gigalo in it! Chasing Audrey Roberts!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    A bit part actor from "Chariots of fire" a good film made before most of ye were born :rolleyes:
    Ahem ... was at University when that film was released!

The Honorable Nigel Havers is, of course, son of former Tory Lord Chancellor, Michael Havers

Never thought the guy had any natural acting talent - always gave me the impression he got to where he is through who he knows rather than what he knows ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Ahem ... was at University when that film was released!

1983 I believe I was in 2nd year of secondary school.
    From a previous thread when Sy, BCMF , I and a few cultured others were discussing 80's music gathered there are alot of late 20/early 30s out there (and a few teens as well).

I sincerely hope you attended the Hacienda at least once ;)

• Advertisement

1983 I believe I was in 2nd year of secondary school.
    From a previous thread when Sy, BCMF , I and a few cultured others were discussing 80's music gathered there are alot of late 20/early 30s out there (and a few teens as well).

I sincerely hope you attended the Hacienda at least once ;)
    Going way off-topic now, but as I can't suss out what the topic is, I feel justified in doing so!

Chariots of Fire was released in 1981. I moved away from Manchester between 1982 and 1985 (kept the season ticket though!), and the Hacienda only opened in 1982. By the time I went back it was definitely not my scene!

I did see Slade at Rotters night-club round the corner on Oxford Road in about 1980 though! (and also can admit to not only being back-stage with Bad Manners (their support, UB40, failed to turn up), but seeing Paul Gadd at Manchester University Student Union around the same time:o)

Class act :D

Lip up Fatty;) (at least you didn't post a Paul Gadd video:eek:)

The really worrying thing is Buster Bloodvessel is only 2 years older than me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Beasty wrote: »
    Going way off-topic now, but as I can't suss out what the topic is, I feel justified in doing so!

Chariots of Fire was released in 1981. I moved away from Manchester between 1982 and 1985 (kept the season ticket though!), and the Hacienda only opened in 1982. By the time I went back it was definitely not my scene!

I did see Slade at Rotters night-club round the corner on Oxford Road in about 1980 though! (and also can admit to not only being back-stage with Bad Manners (their support, UB40, failed to turn up), but seeing Paul Gadd at Manchester University Student Union around the same time:o)

Think we must have been seperated at birth. I left Manchester the same time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Brilliant. You can say what you like, but the Wiggles ain't a patch on them lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mr_staggerlee

tony parsons - journo/author/complete arse wrote
    “Bicycles are for children…[they are] like masturbation - something you should grow out of. There is something seriously sick and stunted about grown men who want to ride a bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

all these guys are English, does it really matter what they think? There is some water between us.
    Bryan

yes they are indeed english but also influence opinion, they have been recent threads on the abuse meted out to cyclists on our roads.
    Could it be they are sheep following an anti-cyclist media colomunist agenda making it ok to abuse us.
    include in this list jeremey clarkson a long standing hater of the cyclist
    matthew paris who suggested that cyclist should be garrotted by piano wire strung acoss trails.
    put it altogether and you get a disturbing picture.

l even read an academic piece by a feminist suggesting all male cyclists are closet gays

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jimm wrote: »
    James Martin yesterday, Nigel Havers today, ................ tomorrow.
    Who gives a sh*t anyway?

It wasn't today, it was back in 2004 and 2006 according to the OP. Why the **** we have a thread about it now, I couldn't say.

edit - ah I see, OP read it on his wikipedia page and decided it was worth a thread..

We have own own cycle hating "journalists" as well.......

Google the tosser that is Michael O'Doherty

• Advertisement

l even read an academic piece by a feminist suggesting all male cyclists are closet gays
    Do you have a reference ?
    Would be interested in reading it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tony parsons - journo/author/complete arse wrote
    “Bicycles are for children…[they are] like masturbation - something you should grow out of. There is something seriously sick and stunted about grown men who want to ride a bike
    This is the same Tony Parsons who in the 70s affected to hate all country music, but claimed after Johnny Cash's death that he'd always been a big fan. I'm sure when cycling becomes very fashionable he'll write about how he's always loved cycling to Brighton in the summer.

sorry can't find the reference but on looking for it found this humorous article :D

don't blame me only the messenger :eek:

http://gaydarnation.com/UserPortal/Article/Detail.aspx?ID=18656&sid=45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

yes they are indeed english but also influence opinion, they have been recent threads on the abuse meted out to cyclists on our roads.
    Could it be they are sheep following an anti-cyclist media colomunist agenda making it ok to abuse us.
    include in this list jeremey clarkson a long standing hater of the cyclist
    matthew paris who suggested that cyclist should be garrotted by piano wire strung acoss trails.
    put it altogether and you get a disturbing picture.

Surely the sharing of bodily fluids doesnt stop at snot rockets and yellow jerseys?:D:D:D

Advertisement