Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Assigned IP Problem on Mac OSX

Options
  • 04-06-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem that I've been having for a long time. I've tried various forums, including the Apple forum, but haven't found a solution that works.

My MacBook is running OS X (Snow Leopard). On my home network, it no longer connects to wifi. Instead I get a message saying I have a self-assigned IP address.

I have tried the following:

- Rebooting the router (Telsey) and wifi extender (Cisco Linksys) and MacBook
    - Turning off the Firewall
    - Flushing the Firewall Settings
    - Setting a manually assigned IP and DHCP with a manual IP address

There are thousands of threads about self-assigned IP address, and I think I've gone through them all at this stage. My thread at the Apple forums is here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2372986&tstart=0

Apparently my router is not providing my MacBook with an IP address, or it's being blocked by the wifi extender.

Sometimes (maybe 2% of the time) the wifi connects, but the rest of the time it doesn't.

I'd be grateful for any advice you might be able to offer.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Have you tried setting a manual ip address and dns etc?

Mac can have problems with some dchp servers. Setting the ip address manually often does the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 madasastick

Repairing permissions worked for me.

I saw some people say on apple discussion forums that turning off airport, then deleting airport from network preferences, restarting pc, adding airport again and restarting again worked for them.

Advertisement