Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweet nuts sold around Europe?

• 04-06-2010 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

So anyone who has been to Europe on holiday should have come across those people going around selling bags of nuts. I think they're peanuts. They're roasted in a sweet, kind of sticky coating, like a sugary syrup, but it has hardened so they're pretty crunchy.

Does anyone know what these are actually called? I have bought so many bags of these while on holiday... they are absolutely delicious and very more-ish. I really want to know how I could make them myself :o unfortunately I have forgotten the name, and won't be returning to Europe for a good while :mad:

I've bought them in southern France on the med and the atlantic, and a number of different parts of Spain so I reckon they're not uncommon. The vendors would usually be found on the beach but I've met a couple walking through the busier parts of towns etc. too. They are definitely more common during the holiday season.

Surely someone knows? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Yeah I know the ones you are talking about, I not sure what the name is either. I have seen them in europe and USA but not here. I got them once in Ireland I cant remember where, some touristy place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Like Honey Roast Almonds?
    honey-roasted-almonds.jpg

almonds.jpg

There's a few slightly different ones I think. My neighbour who is from Spain used to bring back large bags of them. Can't say I've seen them in Ireland, I guess places to look would be the likes of Donnybrook Fair / Fallon&Byrne in town / other gourmet stores.

Just noticed your location OP - you're over Galway side are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

star-pants wrote: »
    Like Honey Roast Almonds?
    honey-roasted-almonds.jpg

almonds.jpg

There's a few slightly different ones I think. My neighbour who is from Spain used to bring back large bags of them. Can't say I've seen them in Ireland, I guess places to look would be the likes of Donnybrook Fair / Fallon&Byrne in town / other gourmet stores.

Just noticed your location OP - you're over Galway side are you?

Kind of, but it's not the same flavour... same kind of colour though. I don't think they were almonds, I want to say they were peanuts but thinking back on it I'm not sure... The coating is dry and quite hard, seemed to be a sugary coating because it would shatter and then dissolve in your mouth.
    I'm in Kerry actually, that location thing has caused confusion before so I'll change it a little :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

You can get honey roasted peanuts in Dunnes but I dont think its a hard coating. Might be slightly crunchy but its been a while since I've had them; I think they do have the same colour as those almonds posted above (second pic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeah sorry they were the only ones I could think of off hand. The ones my neighbour used to get crunched they way you describe cuz I used to near break a tooth on them.

I'm sure you can get those type with different nuts. I've had honey roasted peanuts before, Lidl or Aldi used to do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I think I might have a solution for the OP

At the recent powerboat festival in Galway there was a stall selling a range of candied nuts and other produce, olives etc. Was wracking the oul grey matter there to remember the name of the company...and I think I've found them!

http://www.thenutcompany.ie/nuts.html

They had a seriously good display...tasty.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

OpenBake wrote: »
    I think I might have a solution for the OP

At the recent powerboat festival in Galway there was a stall selling a range of candied nuts and other produce, olives etc. Was wracking the oul grey matter there to remember the name of the company...and I think I've found them!

http://www.thenutcompany.ie/nuts.html

They had a seriously good display...tasty.

Hope that helps!

I love you :eek::D

Candied nuts. So simple :o

Thankyou all for your help, I'm off to buy a 5kg bulk bag off that site :pac:

EDIT: And the name came back to me after looking at those pictures... they're called chouchou nuts in france/spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

You already found them, and you're not even in Dublin, but I was in Dublin for the day last week and I noticed they were being sold in George's Street Arcade for anybody else who's interested.

Advertisement