Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oklahoma City hail storm May 16

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Serious looking weather!! :eek::eek::eek:. Great vids and thanks for posting. The pool one is my personal fave. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

:eek:can you imagine that in here in dublin,APOCALIPCTIC :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

The swimming pool one is crazy. Looks almost like a geyser getting ready to erupt or something. Pity we don't get some of the extreme weather of the American plains. Miss it a lot. I actually have a scar on the back of my head since i was a kid when i got caught in a hail storm. Started off small and rapidly turned to sliotar size. Split the back of me head open just as i made it into a shop front.

I lived in Texas for 8 years, we got these kind of storms a lot, I loved sitting out watching them, coming from Dublin I had never seen the likes. We used to run out grab the biggest hailstones and freeze them and show them off to our visiting Irish relatives :)

Id love a storm like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

does hail like this cause serious injury/death?? surely a few of them to your head could cause serious damage, or if you were driving in it it could smash windshields, cause drivers to lose control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

df1985 wrote: »
    does hail like this cause serious injury/death?? surely a few of them to your head could cause serious damage, or if you were driving in it it could smash windshields, cause drivers to lose control?

They more so cause slight injury although i remember reports of kids getting concussions on the news from when i lived in Kansas. The one i got hit with hurt like hell but required nothing more than a few stitches. Any of the storms i've been in with large hail started as normal sized hail. So you have time to run for shelter unless you are way out in the open like i was when i was a kid. In the US deaths from hailstorms are quite rare but in other parts of the world they are more frequent. I imagine they would be in poor areas with not much shelter and those who live in shacks. I remember somewhere recording double figure deaths from one hailstorm. Think it may have been China.

And yeah they very much smash windshields. Mostly with big cracks. You'd just slow down and stop. Visibility is usually very bad so you can't see where you are going anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

They more so cause slight injury although i remember reports of kids getting concussions on the news from when i lived in Kansas. The one i got hit with hurt like hell but required nothing more than a few stitches. Any of the storms i've been in with large hail started as normal sized hail. So you have time to run for shelter unless you are way out in the open like i was when i was a kid. In the US deaths from hailstorms are quite rare but in other parts of the world they are more frequent. I imagine they would be in poor areas with not much shelter and those who live in shacks. I remember somewhere recording double figure deaths from one hailstorm. Think it may have been China.

And yeah they very much smash windshields. Mostly with big cracks. You'd just slow down and stop. Visibility is usually very bad so you can't see where you are going anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

can hail cause acne?

incredible videos, especially the swimming pool.
    AntiRip wrote: »

Advertisement