Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Geography

• 05-06-2010 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I'm talking the risk of only learning one irish region - GDA, one european region - Mezzo and one subcontinental region - India.

Im leaving out Paris and BMW, anyone think its a major risk?

They've never specified a specific region before...

anyone with me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Yeah, IMO you'll be grand. But... you should probably just look over the other regions just so if the worst came to worst you could at least attempt the question! But realistically i think you'll be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'm talking the risk of only learning one irish region - GDA, one european region - Mezzo and one subcontinental region - India.

Im leaving out Paris and BMW, anyone think its a major risk?

They've never specified a specific region before...

anyone with me??

I'd say that will probably be fine but once I remember a question on 'an urban region in Europe not Ireland' so in that case you wouldn't be able to use Mezz. Plenty of choice on the paper though so shouldn't be a problem is there is one odd question thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

What i've done is studied:
    Primary:
    BMW
    Mezzo
    India
    Secondary:
    GDA
    Paris
    India
    Tertiary:
    GDA
    Paris
    India

I think this pretty much covers nearly everything that can be asked on economic processes. And then culture, urban growth and impact of EU expansion will cover you for the rest of the regional topic. I got 96 in the mock btw;) hoping for anything even near that in the real thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Examine the growth of an urban area in a european region you have studied-not ireland

how would the mezzogiorno fit that question for 30 marks? i personally think the paris basin offers more information for a long question but thats just my opinion.....id just swap the mezz for paris but it may be too late now......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

trogdor wrote: »
    What i've done is studied:
    Primary:
    BMW
    Mezzo
    India
    Secondary:
    GDA
    Paris
    India
    Tertiary:
    GDA
    Paris
    India

I think this pretty much covers nearly everything that can be asked on economic processes. And then culture, urban growth and impact of EU expansion will cover you for the rest of the regional topic. I got 96 in the mock btw;) hoping for anything even near that in the real thing!

trogdor, what are you preparing for the physical section?

• Advertisement

dynamot wrote: »

Hey I know I'm not trogdor but I got this list from a few sources of info so should be pretty accurate and it's all that I'm doing:

• Landform development -I'm doing waterfall and meander
    • Humans and rocks - oil and gas
    • Humans and natural processes - dam
    • (those two human questions usually appear with landform dvlp)
    • Formation of igneous rocks
    • Formation of sed rocks and resulting landscape
    • Plate boundaries
    • Theory of tectonics focusing on earthquakes
    • Diagrams of folding and faulting, world map with plate boundaries, coastal, glacial, rivers, volcano, earthquake.
    That's it! Physical geog is by far the easiest to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Victoria. wrote: »
    Hey I know I'm not trogdor but I got this list from a few sources of info so should be pretty accurate and it's all that I'm doing:

• Plate boundaries
    • Diagrams of folding and faulting, world map with plate boundaries, coastal, glacial, rivers, volcano, earthquake.

Hmmm can you tell me what the human processes is all about? I don't know anything on it what you mean by dams??

Can someone tell me if Egypt is ok to do as a subcontinental region??? I found leaving cert notes for it online so was wondering If I can do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

• Plate boundaries
    Thanks Victoria! Thats very comprehensive.

fufureida wrote: »
    Hmmm can you tell me what the human processes is all about? I don't know anything on it what you mean by dams??

Can someone tell me if Egypt is ok to do as a subcontinental region??? I found leaving cert notes for it online so was wondering If I can do it?

The human questions are like how humans interact with rivers and the coastline. It's a pretty important question and comes up basically every year. An example of how humans impact the river (could be asked fluvial processes) is by building a dam. You would talk about the dam, its purpose and impact on the river, for example its processes of transportation, erosion and deposition.

There is also the question on humans and the rock cycle, for that you could write about quarrying or oil and gas exploration.

Not sure about Egypt, I'd say it could be, can't see why not anyway. Most people do India or sw usa.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jack67

can anyone tell me what exactly you need to write about for the rock cycle and the human interaction wit mining,oil/gas exploitation .
    i know they come up every year so if anyone could let us know it'd be a great help thanks.

• Advertisement

jack67 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what exactly you need to write about for the rock cycle and the human interaction wit mining,oil/gas exploitation .
    i know they come up every year so if anyone could let us know it'd be a great help thanks.

For the rock cycle I'm going to know the different categories of rock igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic. How each are formed and the landscape formed by them. Two examples of where each can be found in Ireland.

For my oil and gas question:
    • How oil and gas are formed
    • How reserves are located
    • How they drill for oil and gas
    • Examples of main oil and gas producing nations
    • Importance of fossil fuels to our society and industrial development and a sentence about their impact. Not too much on this because the majority of the answer should be what they are, how they are created and how humans get them to surface.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jack67

ye thats a great help would i find all that in my geography text book as with my teacher we never really worked from the book but would all the info be in there about how would drill it out ?
    thanks a mil

jack67 wrote: »
    ye thats a great help would i find all that in my geography text book as with my teacher we never really worked from the book but would all the info be in there about how would drill it out ?
    thanks a mil

It should all be there yep.

It might have lots of other stuff on quarrying but just ignore it you only have to do 1 thing, there's kinda two things that people do, the quarrying or oil and gas. You will never be asked directly on one of them they give a list with all of the options on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

dynamot wrote: »

Victoria has it pretty much covered:)
    What i have is:
    • Plate tectonics
    • Earthquaks
    • Volcanoes
    • Human interaction with river/fluvial processes (dam, canals, flood control etc.)
    • Human interaction with rock cycle (Tara mines)
    • Lanform development (waterfall)
    • Distinctive landscape (burren)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ahsure!

hey anyone have any idea whats expected in economic geog? ahhh its on friday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PatrickP123

If any of you are on, could you tell me how the LC went for you after studying specific amounts? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

If any of you are on, could you tell me how the LC went for you after studying specific amounts? Thanks!

4 years later i doubt they care :p

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzmurph

where is everyone getting the case study on India? We haven't done it and I can't find it in either of my geography books!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

lizzmurph wrote: »
    where is everyone getting the case study on India? We haven't done it and I can't find it in either of my geography books!?

Did you do brazil maybe? For a contintental/subcontinetnal region question you can talk about Southern USA, brazil or india. Im doing india for my subcontinental region, most schools pick india! But that doesnt matter. Did your teacher not do a region outside europe with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

• Plate boundaries
    For human interaction with the rock cycle will they ask you for a certain type like quarrying or can you choose between oil/gas,quarrying, mining etc.

• Advertisement

For human interaction with the rock cycle will they ask you for a certain type like quarrying or can you choose between oil/gas,quarrying, mining etc.

No just interaction with the rock cycle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Catherinem1616

ahsure! wrote: »
    hey anyone have any idea whats expected in economic geog? ahhh its on friday :eek:

Hey are teacher mentioned tourism or a footloose industry as it hasnt been up in two years or so! and also the usual things like MNC, colonialism, conflict, the policies and globalisation of Ireland as that hasnt been up in years also!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

• Plate boundaries
    Thank you so so much

Thank you so so much

Every single thing on that list bar the last two came up :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah jaysus, this was a thread from 2010 before someone bumped it!!

There's a geography thread!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement