Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options
  • 05-06-2010 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed abit of a hike in alot of things with tesco? Have being going to the 24hr tesco extra in drogheda now not long just after it opened but for the first time in all the years I've done food shopping I was actually short forcing me to leave stuff behind albeit I probably did get the few extra things but I do always keep a close eye on prices as am soo used to getting about the same list as we all do but I have to say some of the products have took some jump soo much soo am thinking of doing half & half aldi/tescos, its a disgrace this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Bang on... Only saying it the other day... Even there own brand stuff is gone up...

and in some cases a lot.

I now shop 70% lidl 20%tesco and 10% local spar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Bang on... Only saying it the other day... Even there own brand stuff is gone up...

and in some cases a lot.

I now shop 70% lidl 20%tesco and 10% local spar

Think I'll follow suit joey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I have actually heard numerous people saying this, They advertise bargains
    then rise the prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I noticed it recently.

Hardly ever shop in Tescos anymore.

Lidl and then supervalu for whatever Lidl don't have

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

miss5 wrote: »
    They advertise bargains
    the best bargains in tesco are not advertised, I have noticed this ever since the change for good campaign.

I still find them far cheaper than other supermarkets, though I NEVER have a shopping list and have very little brand loyalty. A few weeks back I had to keep going back putting back stuff on the shelves as the deals just got better and better going around the shop.

6x330ml stellas & a large chicago town pizza for €6. Many ice creams are on offer too. Recently it was 74cent for 5 full size bounties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 no panic

Prices in tescos have defo gone up overall, but as said, bargains can still be had in the store. I suppose it depends on the products you buy, are you brand loyal etc? I shop probably 50/50 Lidl and Tesco and weeekly shop seems to be about the same each week. Obviously boils down to what you purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

no panic wrote: »
    Prices in tescos have defo gone up overall, but as said, bargains can still be had in the store. I suppose it depends on the products you buy, are you brand loyal etc? I shop probably 50/50 Lidl and Tesco and weeekly shop seems to be about the same each week. Obviously boils down to what you purchase.

God bless Aldi and Lidl is all I can say!
    Was up home at the weekend (co Derry) and popped into Lidl for curiosity, 6x Perlenbacher beer was 5.50 in sterling, it's 6.29 here in Naas, no massive price differences like some of the other stuff!

Tescos? Mmm they do me for some stuff I can't but anywhere else, but on the whole I find Aldi and Lidl (especially Aldi) to have much better value, and in most cases superior quality to Tescos!
    Aldis fruit and veg just can't be beaten, and if you ever eaten a sirloin from Aldi (all Irish meat beef btw) you'd be v reluctant to go back to Tescos!

Just popped into Tesco today for some egg noodles (tescos own brand) as I think their unbeatable stir fried with chicken, ginger, honey and Chinese five spice.
    Noodles costing me €1.99, now I couldn't swear this on the bible, but I am almost certain that these cost 1.80 just last week (could be wrong though)

HOWEVER........

Looking at Tesco.co.Uk website and the same noodles sell for a pound (1.20€)
    what happened to the change for good Tescos?

Giving us so called Bargains in one hand, and fleecing us in the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

too right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Tesco have hiked the price of branded products as well.

They have put up nappy prices by about 10% in the last week or so.

Shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Fungus wrote: »

Shocked.

With the drop in the value of the Euro, to be expected tbh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

K-9 wrote: »

It still pays to go north.

K-9 wrote: »

But how come when sterling was weak, products didn't go up in price to the UK costumers?
    We Irish tend to find any way we can to justify price increases and ripoffs instead of challenging them!

As I've posted earlier, (just a tiny example) egg noodles on tescos.ie €1.99
    same product on tesco uks site = £1 (1.20 €) but sure it's only 80cent difference, us Irish don't mind! Sure it's only 40% More were being charged!

Gucky wrote: »
    But how come when sterling was weak, products didn't go up in price to the UK costumers?
    We Irish tend to find any way we can to justify price increases and ripoffs instead of challenging them!

As I've posted earlier, (just a tiny example) egg noodles on tescos.ie €1.99
    same product on tesco uks site = £1 (1.20 €) but sure it's only 80cent difference, us Irish don't mind! Sure it's only 40% More were being charged!

More too it than just exchange rate as well, higher cost to operate here. I find most of the stuff I buy competitive compared to the North, but yes, you need to be careful with them.

As for rip offs, didn't Asda increase their prices in the North?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

rubadub wrote: »
    the best bargains in tesco are not advertised, I have noticed this ever since the change for good campaign.

I still find them far cheaper than other supermarkets, though I NEVER have a shopping list and have very little brand loyalty. A few weeks back I had to keep going back putting back stuff on the shelves as the deals just got better and better going around the shop.

6x330ml stellas & a large chicago town pizza for €6. Many ice creams are on offer too. Recently it was 74cent for 5 full size bounties

I definitely find this to be the case. I think if you're prepared to go with the offers, so to speak, and not stick rigidly to a list, you can do a very reasonably priced shop in Tesco.

diddledum wrote: »
    I definitely find this to be the case. I think if you're prepared to go with the offers, so to speak, and not stick rigidly to a list, you can do a very reasonably priced shop in Tesco.

I think were Tesco catch us out, is by displaying certain brand products that are on offer with them (half price offers etc) while they stealthily increase other, everyday items without us noticing.

I personally recall one week when I was charged 3 different prices on the exact same pack of tesco rashers (no special offers etc applied)
    I think prize rose by twenty cent, then restored to previous price and was increased again.
    How many times a week/month need to do sneaky things like this without us noticing, while at the same time making fanfares about their other halfprice offers for them to still end up with huge profits!

Aldi all the way!

Incidentally I was in Aldi today and got Broccolli, Courgettes, cherry tomatoes and Ginger for less than 4€!

Try that trick with Tescos! It would prob come to seven or eight euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Full_TiltKeith

Fungus wrote: »

Shocked.

Baby formula has gone up about 15% also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

If I may play Devil's Advocate here, but if we as a country want to continue to be paid high wages compared to other countries, charge more for utilities and rates, then we can continue to expect high prices.

Tesco are entitled to charge what they wish for a particular product in a free economy, they are entitled to make a profit and I'm sure shareholders are entitled to see a return on their investment. They are after all subject to one of the highest minimum wages in Europe. It's whether or not people will buy it that will make the difference. I do notice price fluctuations in Tesco, but I find it hard to believe that Tesco are alone in the practice or are the only ones ripping people off. If you don't want to pay for the price, you are entitled to shop elsewhere, incl. Northern Ireland.

That said, I don't find either Aldi or Lidl ever have a satisfactory range of products and I would struggle to do a weekly shop there without needing to augment my purchases elsewhere, especially fresh food.
    Gucky wrote: »
    Incidentally I was in Aldi today and got Broccolli, Courgettes, cherry tomatoes and Ginger for less than 4€!

Try that trick with Tescos! It would prob come to seven or eight euro!

Just a quick check on tesco.ie gives:

Root ginger loose (0.27 kg): € 1.00
    Value cherry tomatoes (250 g): € 1.19
    Courgette loose: € 0.57
    Tesco Broccoli (335 g): € 1.39

TOTAL: € 4.15

(No need for the hyperbole)

bryanw wrote: »
    If I may play Devil's Advocate here, but if we as a country want to continue to be paid high wages compared to other countries, charge more for utilities and rates, then we can continue to expect high prices.

Tesco are entitled to charge what they wish for a particular product in a free economy, they are entitled to make a profit and I'm sure shareholders are entitled to see a return on their investment. They are after all subject to one of the highest minimum wages in Europe. It's whether or not people will buy it that will make the difference. I do notice price fluctuations in Tesco, but I find it hard to believe that Tesco are alone in the practice or are the only ones ripping people off. If you don't want to pay for the price, you are entitled to shop elsewhere, incl. Northern Ireland.

That said, I don't find either Aldi or Lidl ever have a satisfactory range of products and I would struggle to do a weekly shop there without needing to augment my purchases elsewhere, especially fresh food.

The courgettes I bought (note, courgette's) was a pack of two for 89c
    Tomatoes 300g, 89c
    Broccoli 500g, 1.29
    Ginger, I didnt weigh, and to be honest cant remember the price (bought it was 3 x thumb sized pieces (should last me a month)

So, all in all Tescos dont really compete?

Tesco are entitled to charge what they wish for a particular product in a free economy

Of course they are!
    But its a bit contradictory launching a change for good campaign and STILL charging us way over the odds compared to folk in the north.

bryanw wrote: »

Oh, and also....

I presume this is ALL from Tesco Market value range?
    Whereas the products I bought were all Aldis normal range. (2 xHUGE courgettes for 89c?) granted the courgettes and cherry tomatoes were part of Aldis super 6, but on a weekly basis the size and price of Aldis goods is much better.
    And there is noone in Ireland will tell me, ALDI's fruit and veg is inferior to Tescos, quite the contrary actually!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

But to Aldi have a "value" equivalent? I don't see how the value range in any way diminishes the quality of the vegetable, whereas a "value" tag may indicate a not so great processed product. I don't see much difference between lets say a Tesco "value" pack of tomatoes grown in Ireland and a "normal" Tesco pack of tomatoes of the same variety grown in Ireland. Usually supermarkets will request veg which are reasonably appealing in terms of appearance etc. even for their value range. The difference with the value ranges is that not so much money goes on the bells and whistles associated with the product.

I would bet Tesco have a much larger product range in terms of fresh veg at various price points. Fair enough if you can source your item cheaper in Aldi, I'm afraid there isn't an Aldi close to me. I'm not trying to be an apologist for Tesco. I mean I have yet to discover the logic behind Tesco (previously) charging € 2.15 for a 200 g box of Carr's table water biscuits and € 3.00 for a 125 g pack, or charging € 1.19 for a pack of biscuits that have 99c printed on the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

2 different examples

Tesco Own Brand Soups (4 x Satchets)
    3 months ago : 29 cent
    2 months ago : 35 cent
    now 49 cent

Tiger Bread : 1 euro since forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Lidl's beside me in the North has been doing 18 x 330ml Stella for 6.99 STG.
    Now thats value!

Churchy wrote: »
    Now thats value!

That's is bloody cheap. Tesco are doing 6 bottles and a nice Chicago town pizza for €6, but that is hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ccyy123

I went to Tesco (Limerick) this morning to get some stuff, I was buying some bananas I didn't put them the clear plastic bag (you know those small clear plastic bags that are for vegs and fruits) but I had one in my hand, was going to put my loose bananas in it after I checked out. So, when I was paying for my stuff at the self-service checkout, the woman station at the checkout area saw the bag in my hand, came over and told me that they are charging for those bags now!!! Anyway, I gave the bag back to her, didn't know if she was being a b*tch, or Tesco really are charging for them.

Anyone knows anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tesco prices definitely increasing - even their special offers have become less "special" - they were doing finest sausages @ 2 packs for €5, now its 2 for €6, ditto Kilmeaden cheese. They've changed the packaging on all the Tesco Brand salamis and have at the same time raised the prices (chorizo which was €1.20 a pack is now €3.50!) - there's examples all over the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Tesco have clearly made a decision to hike a large amount of their prices.

Dunnes have not yet matched the price increases. In fact, there are some vast price differences to Dunnes at the moment.

Time to shop with your feet.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Tesco prices definitely increasing - even their special offers have become less "special" - they were doing finest sausages @ 2 packs for €5, now its 2 for €6, ditto Kilmeaden cheese. They've changed the packaging on all the Tesco Brand salamis and have at the same time raised the prices (chorizo which was €1.20 a pack is now €3.50!) - there's examples all over the store.

I emailed and called Tesco demanding an explanation on how the vast price differences on grocery goods can be explained, still no answer!

Anyone registered on tesco.co.Uk and tesco.ie should open both sites at the same time, and check out some examples! one that has still got me a bit annoyed is tescos own brand soft egg noodles.

Up north, £1
    tescos in Naas €1.99 (£1.65)????? 65% more here?

No doubt someone will come running to their defence, vat rates operating costs and blahdy blahdy blah! But is it REALLY 65% more expensive to operate in the south Tesco?

changed for good my @rse!

Churchy wrote: »
    Now thats value!

Mmmmm

heading up home (north) for my Dads birthday party this weekend, suddenly Aldis Staroslav at 1.09 a bottle just doesn't sound as good anymore lol!

Though it is dam good beer and it's in 500ml bottles!

• Advertisement

Found these brief examples after a 10 minute search on both websites.
    Were getting a deal alright folks, pity its a raw one!

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Beansprouts 335G €1.99
    Tesco UK, Tesco Beansprouts 335g £0.50p :eek::eek::eek:

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Rocket Salad 100G €1.98
    Tesco UK, Tesco Rocket Salad 100G £1

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Thin And Crispy Oven chips, 1.81Kg €1.89
    Tesco UK, Tesco Thin And Crispy Oven chips, 1.81Kg £1

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Value Cheese & Tomato Pizza 150g €1.09
    Tesco UK, Tesco Value Cheese & Tomato Pizza 150g £0.48p :eek::eek::eek:

Thats just a very brief example lads.
    Im gonna enjoy your defence of this......................

Tesco SHAFT the Irish man! Not on EVERYTHING, but on a LOT of stuff.
    TBH I'm still in shock at the beansprouts 50pence versus our two euro like WTF?

Is their vat on beansprouts or what?

Oh, and btw NONE of the items from Tesco UK are on special offer before you ask. Seems everyday normal pricing by tesco UK

Advertisement