Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Gucky wrote: »
    Im gonna enjoy your defence of this......................

Tesco SHAFT the Irish man!

Thank goodness we have supervalu and dunnes stores ever driving prices down, ensuring that healthy competition in this capitalist market of ours continues to go strong?

EDIT: On a more serious note, what I see from your post is that Tesco UK is probably cheaper than every one of our supermarkets (including lidl/aldi).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

ccyy123 wrote: »
    I went to Tesco (Limerick) this morning to get some stuff, I was buying some bananas I didn't put them the clear plastic bag (you know those small clear plastic bags that are for vegs and fruits) but I had one in my hand, was going to put my loose bananas in it after I checked out. So, when I was paying for my stuff at the self-service checkout, the woman station at the checkout area saw the bag in my hand, came over and told me that they are charging for those bags now!!! Anyway, I gave the bag back to her, didn't know if she was being a b*tch, or Tesco really are charging for them.

Anyone knows anything about this?

She's not being a b*tch. Staff are supposed to charge for any bag which isn't used for loose fruit and veg, baked goods, meat, fish or poultry.

I know you had yours for your bananas so it's possible she never realised and made a mistake but anyone who uses them for washing powder, firelighters etc. is supposed to be charged. You shouldn't have been though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Lets get a few things right about pricing & groceries

1. NOBODY is forced to shop in Tesco. They DO NOT have a monopoly. (I far prefer the local owner & convienence of supervalu)

2. Ireland has 4.2 million people. Economies of scale come into play. If a product does not sell in large quantities retailers will buy it from a local distributor. - Same happens in most countries especially those with smaller populations. This can add 30% to costs - if you wnat added choice, you need to pay for it.

3. NOBODY is stopping anyone from shoping in NI, moving to NI or moving to britain. - Though if you do move expect lower wages, lower social benefits and higher direct & indirect taxes. Though NI gets the benefit of being park of UK and having the same pricing as a country of 60million - if this wasn't the case, prices would be higher.

4. NOBODY is stopping anyone from opening their own store - it is not a secretive trade and you can even find wholesale prices online or by dropping into Musgraves or any other wholesaler.

5. Despite what the rip-off merchants want you to believe, costs of operating a business IS more expensive in ireland, always has been because of our tax system which make business pay very high commercial rates instead of residents paying council taxes. - On one of my businesses I pay approx 5% of my turnover in council rates, if I had the same store in NI, it would be less than 2%.

6. Many Irish bsuinesses sell to NI & UK - Why - because we offer value. In the past 2 weeks, the bulk of my sales came from the UK. Why? - Because I'm cheaper than my UK competitors for a product thats made in China. - On another product that is about 30% of my sales, I'm cheaper (as are msot retailers of the product) than stores in USA where the product is made.

7. - Of course there are price differences - up and down. The UK has had 7% inflation over the past 18 months - we've had 8% defaltion. Official figures not crap taken from mid air. So prices have changed, but UK product are rising in price, products sourced in US dollars are rising in price, local produced products are falling in price.

Shop local, buy local produce.

p.s. - I have no business in the grocery trade or any trade associated with groceries / alcohol / foodstuffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

91011 wrote: »

Shop local = pay more = Rip-Off = vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

But is it REALLY 65% more expensive to operate in the south Tesco?

Just to play devils advocate a bit.

Vat difference 4%
    Wages difference (minimum wage) Ire £7.22 UK 5.80 Difference 24.5%
    Rates Multiplier Ire 59.92 UK 41.40 Difference 44.73%
    Exchange rate Ire 1 UK 83.527 Difference 19.73%

So I mean it could easily overall cost 25-35% more to do business here and when you add in 20% for the exchange rate there are going to be huge differences between Irish and English prices . Obviously anything costing £1 in England and E1.99 in ireland is a rip as if things were right it should be Maybe E1.59 but the Irish group is a separate entity and they can charge whatever they want.

• Advertisement

g32 wrote: »
    Shop local = pay more = Rip-Off = vote with your feet.

Are you unemployed?

If not, then you are paid Irish wages which even after recent reductions would be at least 25% higher than the UK.

Do you have kids? - If you do your childrens allowance is 40% higher than the UK

At some stage you'll be over 65 - then you'll have free transport nationwide & a pension that is 30% higher than the UK.

I presume you drive a car - your petrol & diesel whilst expensive is far cheaper than NI.

In exchange for all the extras including your higher salary, your company and other companies must charge a little extra to ensure you and others are paid a good wage.

Its all swings and roundabouts - if you want to buy UK produced stuff and buy up north and refuse to contribute to the local economy, then go ahead. But when the comapny you are working for decided to outsource your job becasue they have to rediuce their prices further you may look at it differently.

There will always be a small premium to buy locally produced product as its usually of a higher quality, you'll always pay apremium for convience too (same in EVERY country.) If your time is cheap and you are close enough to the border you might save a tenner on your weekly shopping, but is it REALLY worth it????

P.s. - I see you have still not responded to any post that proves both your wrong quotation of irish prices and proves the higher costs of operating here. - Is this because there is no response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Mactard wrote: »
    Thank goodness we have supervalu and dunnes stores ever driving prices down, ensuring that healthy competition in this capitalist market of ours continues to go strong?

EDIT: On a more serious note, what I see from your post is that Tesco UK is probably cheaper than every one of our supermarkets (including lidl/aldi).

Its funny because tesco in the UK are seen now as expensive. Asda are dirt cheap compared to them. Lidl and Aldi well they speak for themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

91011 wrote: »
    Lets get a few things right about pricing & groceries

1. NOBODY is forced to shop in Tesco. They DO NOT have a monopoly. (I far prefer the local owner & convienence of supervalu)

2. Ireland has 4.2 million people. Economies of scale come into play. If a product does not sell in large quantities retailers will buy it from a local distributor. - Same happens in most countries especially those with smaller populations. This can add 30% to costs - if you wnat added choice, you need to pay for it.

3. NOBODY is stopping anyone from shoping in NI, moving to NI or moving to britain. - Though if you do move expect lower wages, lower social benefits and higher direct & indirect taxes. Though NI gets the benefit of being park of UK and having the same pricing as a country of 60million - if this wasn't the case, prices would be higher.

4. NOBODY is stopping anyone from opening their own store - it is not a secretive trade and you can even find wholesale prices online or by dropping into Musgraves or any other wholesaler.

5. Despite what the rip-off merchants want you to believe, costs of operating a business IS more expensive in ireland, always has been because of our tax system which make business pay very high commercial rates instead of residents paying council taxes. - On one of my businesses I pay approx 5% of my turnover in council rates, if I had the same store in NI, it would be less than 2%.

6. Many Irish bsuinesses sell to NI & UK - Why - because we offer value. In the past 2 weeks, the bulk of my sales came from the UK. Why? - Because I'm cheaper than my UK competitors for a product thats made in China. - On another product that is about 30% of my sales, I'm cheaper (as are msot retailers of the product) than stores in USA where the product is made.

7. - Of course there are price differences - up and down. The UK has had 7% inflation over the past 18 months - we've had 8% defaltion. Official figures not crap taken from mid air. So prices have changed, but UK product are rising in price, products sourced in US dollars are rising in price, local produced products are falling in price.

p.s. - I have no business in the grocery trade or any trade associated with groceries / alcohol / foodstuffs

lol, I take it your just Tescos 'pal' then, and doing the pally thing by not letting anyone slag them, or tell it how it Really is?
    The fact you went to the trouble of logging on to the Uk website and use different weights as an excuse to justify their much higher costs would suggest otherwise to me.

As you said your self, it costs a lot more to operate here than Tescos in Newry.

But Beansprouts in Newry at 50p vs our price in Dublin of €1.99????

Could it really be THAT more expensive?

I agree, vote with your feet! I bought cheese and 7up today from my local Spar, rather than Tesco!
    Did it cost more? Probably.
    But at least I know that by supporting my local spar it's going to a family run business, not to a multi BILLION pound empire like Tescos who are STILL shafting the Irishman!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Did it cost more? Probably.
    But at least I know that by supporting my local spar it's going to a family run business, not to a multi BILLION pound empire like Tescos who are STILL shafting the Irishman!

So, you prefer to get shafted by Irish businesses instead?:P

lol, I take it your just Tescos 'pal' then, and doing the pally thing by not letting anyone slag them, or tell it how it Really is?
    The fact you went to the trouble of logging on to the Uk website and use different weights as an excuse to justify their much higher costs would suggest otherwise to me.

As you said your self, it costs a lot more to operate here than Tescos in Newry.

But Beansprouts in Newry at 50p vs our price in Dublin of €1.99????

Could it really be THAT more expensive?

Personally I don't like shopping at Tesco, but I won't attack them just because I far prefer a mix of Supervalu / Aldi.

Tesco is a public company and has a huge number of shareholders including hundreds of thousands of Irish people via their pension funds. TBH, dunnes are the worst as the profits stay within a single family who just like amassing loads of money. Supervalu are by far the best as their pricing is very competitive, are VERY convienent and in most of them, the owner himself / herself is around the store ensuring good service.

You seem to have targeted one single produt from a line-up of in excess of 30,000 products stocked in a standard tecso store. - Maybe, just maybe its a pricing error as from memory, beansprouts are a cheap product and sell for under a euro. I might even drop by a tesco to check.

Pricing errors work both ways too. - A while ago a tray of mixed veg (mangetout, brocolli & babycorn) was price marked at £1.79 but was priced at 99c. It lasted about 2/3 months before it suddenly changed to €2.39. On the other hand at the same time Frozen Cumberland sausages were price flashed at £2 but were being charged at €3.80, then these changed to €2.50 ish.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »

Gucky don't like to be shafted by anyone!

(except my Mrs Gucky, occasionally!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

g32 wrote: »
    Shop local = pay more
    +1 People are asking for "defence" of standard sound business practice, are they insane?
    Tesco would be fucking idiots not to charge inline with what other shops do, it doesn't matter what nationality the owner is. FFS I understood this when I was 7 years old and spent my pocket money in the supermarket rather than the newsagents, I knew fine well how newsagents could get away with charging more.

If I won a dvd player in an auction for €2 should I sell it for about the same?
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some might well do, and not just particular to Ireland. I bought a device for weightlifting, it is made by a single company in the US and I bought direct from them, €35 incl delivery, shipped from the UK. On a UK forum lads were saying not to buy from the actual company, but rather buy from a UK shop, telling them to "support their own". So this company was charging about £70 incl delivery, the UK company was obviously buying from that shop in the US anyways, no doubt getting a bulk discount and lads were just glad to line the pockets of this UK business as it was "local". Utter madness, the price difference was huge, instead of paying £70 they could have bought it for about £30 delivered, and then sent a donation of £30 to the shop if they consider them to be such a charity case, they would have saved £10 in the process too.

Gucky don't like to be shafted by anyone!

(except my Mrs Gucky, occasionally!)

well Gucky, the bad news is the beanspouts are 1.99 in Ireland, the good news is you are getting Irish grown beansprouts:D

My guess is simple economies of scale on this one as beanspouts are not exactly the most popular veg on the aisle over here.

One of my part time students needed a project for a college course, so she is going to do up a typical shopping list of 250 grocery items and do a unconfirmed order online with tesco irl, tesco uk and sainsburys, find out info about business costs in both juristictions including costs of transport etc and come up with a result.

- Don't hold your breath for the result as she's off on hols next Tuesday for 2 weeks, but I'll post it when she's finished.

Students - loads of time, nothing to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Definetly noticed prices going up - I buy far too much confectionary - homebrand winegums gone up from 57c to €1.30!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Why do Tesco in Carlow charge more than Tesco in Letterkenny????
    "Because they can" is the simple answer. Irish consumers are being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Glenalla wrote: »
    Why do Tesco in Carlow charge more than Tesco in Letterkenny????
    "Because they can" is the simple answer. Irish consumers are being ripped off.

I've heard or read somewhere that Tesco can and will charge different prices depending on the outlet.

The Tesco express is supposed to be more expensive than a Tesco extra - based on overheads as they tend to be on "high street" destinations rather than an extra which is either out in a retail park/industrial estate type setting which costs about 80% less per square foot to rent than high street or shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Definetly noticed prices going up - I buy far too much confectionary - homebrand winegums gone up from 57c to €1.30!!

Don't allow those prices go up - don't buy from Tesco. Otherwise, you are feeding into their predatory prices. I believe Lidl, Aldi or Asda will offer you more value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Head and shoulders shampoo, last time I bought it was 4.69. Was 5.49 when I was in yesterday

Looks like I may have to return to bulk buying toiletries in the North

I think what we all seem to be forgetting here, is that it's not Tescos who control the pricing, ultimately it's us, the consumers!
    If they put toiletries up in price, don't buy them in Tescos!
    If they put confectionery up in price, don't buy your confectionery there either!
    Less people buy the stuff from them, the more they'll be forced to lower prices!

Tescos are not just ripping us Irish off, they're actually trying to take the piss out of us!
    You can just imagine them....(ah sure let's bump the price away up by 80c this week To the Irish consumers, while we knock 50p of the same product in the UK Market... The Irish still buy it regardless)

Vote with your feet folks, let's show them who exactly is boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Head and shoulders shampoo, last time I bought it was 4.69. Was 5.49 when I was in yesterday

€1 = .83p Stg now, what was it then?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The 400ml bottle is still €4.69, the 500ml bottle is €5.59. The 400ml is £4.49 and the 500ml is £5.35 in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The 400ml bottle is still €4.69, the 500ml bottle is €5.59. The 400ml is £4.49 and the 500ml is £5.35 in the north.

400ml is ST£3.80 in Sainsburys

Last time I bought one up North was £3.69

If you are that concerned about prices would you not think of using own brand products? I think many supermarkets price some brands highly to exaggerate how inexpensive their own brands are.

I was looking for sudocrem the other day, I was in dunnes early in the day, a small jar was some mad price, the 250ml tub was €6.65 which I thought was expensive. They had no own brand, there was another brand of zinc oxide based cream but it was even more expensive. Went to tesco and the 250ml was the exact same €6.65, 135g was €4.19 but they had a tesco brand zinc oxide 150ml which was €1.25!

I have said before that many of the best offers in tesco are not advertised, they were selling various packs of ryvitas for 99c for several weeks with no notice that it was an offer or anything. Now they are back to €2.59 (overnight!:rolleyes:) A lot of people do not even realise they are getting a good bargain and so think the "increase" is massive and might use % to try an emphasis it. These same people are probably the ones I see loading the trolley full of stuff they are TOLD is on offer, when in fact it is non-offer.

I have seen this in supervalu too, they currently are selling donegal catch cod for around €2.50, with no mention of it being an offer.

K-9 wrote: »
    €1 = .83p Stg now, what was it then?

Why exactly does that matter?
    I've read loads of folk of the pro rip off Ireland defending price hikes by way of saying the Euro has slipped in Value?

Could someone please please PLEASE give an example of when things went UP in value in the UK when sterling was the same value as a euro?

I think I'll be waiting a while...........

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've read loads of folk of the pro rip off Ireland defending price hikes by way of saying the Euro has slipped in Value?

Could someone please please PLEASE give an example of when things went UP in value in the UK when sterling was the same value as a euro?

Prices did go up in NI. There was a thread in the Consumer section about Asda charging higher prices in NI than anywhere else.

Did you not notice Asda hiking prices in NI?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Prices did go up in NI. There was a thread in the Consumer section about Asda charging higher prices in NI than anywhere else.

Did you not notice Asda hiking prices in NI?

No.

I've never been in an Asda in my life.
    Besides, my rant is to do with Tescos in the South, increasing prices very stealthily here and there, what exactly has Asda in 'NI' (I presume you mean the North??) have to do with it????

Retail Price index UK - Increased by 13% from January 2009 to May 2010. (UK Government fihures)

Retail price index Ireland (using same methodology as UK index) decreased by 6.8% in Ireland in the same period.

Basically - there were sh1t loads of bargains to be had in December 2008 when prices had an average 25% difference. - Even I shopped up north then as it was well worth it.

Now the combination of 17 month UK inflation & Irish defaltion along with stronger sterling means on average, prices in UK & Ireland are much the same. - We can all find one or two products cheaper both sides, the same way that even within the same town north & south you can find different prices. But taking average retail spending on a basket of goods purchased in an average month (including clothing, hardware, food, alcohol etc etc) prices between UK & Ireland no longer have the massive gap they once had.

my rant is to do with Tescos in the South, increasing prices very stealthily here and there
    Yes they are sneaky underhanded bastards, they should really outlaw this dodgy practice. At least supervalu, dunnes & superquinn take out full page ads in the press to highlight what has gone up in price, how much and the % increase too. In the shops dunnes have big signs around all the products highlighting how much they have gone up too -now WTF can tesco not do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Carlsberg export 15*440ml cans have been €15 forever.

Now they have special price :rolleyes: of € 17 :(

• Advertisement

Some folk here are totally missing my point!
    I understand inflation and deflation issues, I GET that some items are subject to price increases...
    BUT, my issue is with Tescos CONSTANTLY fecking around with prices on everyday items!
    I'm on a mobile here so forgive me If this isn't accurate (can't scroll up while typing) as a previous poster pointed out earlier Tescos OWN BRAND wine guns went up from (something like) 57c to over a euro?
    I didn't know inflation in Ireland had hit almost 90%?

I'm not attacking Irish retailers in general, overall I GET operating costs are higher/higher wages and blah blah blah.....

I don't get why Tesco (my biggest gripe is with these shower of sneaky fux) think they can poop all over us in the South.
    Things shouldn't be allowed to just shoot up in price by so much at one time the way they do. Inunderstand that half price and special offers can't be held forever, and when they revert to their standard price they go up in value.
    But some of the price hikes here are unbelievable!

Tescos Caesar salad kit ( from memory one example)
    Went in one week and it was 1.99 euro.
    Went in to get same salad kit a week later, it was 2.99.....

Changed for good my @rse in parsley!

Advertisement