Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I was in there yesterday, in the booze aisle...

"Special offer" of 4 500 ml cans of Kopparberg Pear Cider for €7.00. Yellow "offer" sticker affixed to shelf.

I was just about to grab some instead of the more expensive Bulmers version when I noticed on an adjacent shelf 4 500ml cans, this time with a cardboard sleeve around them (much handier to carry) for €6.00! :eek:

Be careful out there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Gucky wrote: »
    BUT, my issue is with Tescos CONSTANTLY fecking around with prices on everyday items!
    I'm on a mobile here so forgive me If this isn't accurate (can't scroll up while typing) as a previous poster pointed out earlier Tescos OWN BRAND wine guns went up from (something like) 57c to over a euro?
    I didn't know inflation in Ireland had hit almost 90%?

I don't get why Tesco (my biggest gripe is with these shower of sneaky fux) think they can poop all over us in the South.
    !

most supermarkets worldwide use the same practice - its not just tesco.

Check the Asda ads in the UK advertising that they have x number of product cheaper than others and tesco & sainsburys have y number. Every week these numbers change, becasue every week prices are changed up / down depending on time of year, promotions, general price changes & market positioning.

That's the way the supermarket beast works.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I didn't know inflation in Ireland had hit almost 90%?
    Neither did I, nor did I see anybody even remotely suggest it had -did you?
    Tescos OWN BRAND wine guns went up from (something like) 57c to over a euro?
    Why the big capitals for own brand? I checked online and 57cent seemed an extremely good price for them, the maynards are on offer at the moment and still more expensive than the own brand tesco ones. Sometimes shops will increase their own brand, or other brands to make the one they want to sell seem like a really good deal. -they might want to shift the maynards so increase their own to close to that price. These are all very common marketing tricks, used by ALL supermarkets.

As I have said time & time again most of the best offers in tesco are not advertised as such, but if you know the value of products you can see you are getting good value or not. So some people do not even know a good bargain when they see one, or they do not appreciate it until the price goes up and then they should RIPOFF.
    Things shouldn't be allowed to just shoot up in price by so much at one time the way they do.
    Do you think there should be a law introduced to stop this practise? what sort of increase/decrease do you think is reasonable. I am always amused at some of the OTT wording and phrases in these threads, like the "outraged citizens", and the price went up 145% OVERNIGHT!!!!, -think of the children, surely it could have been spanned over 2 days.
    But some of the price hikes here are unbelievable!
    In all cases I have read here it seems the original price was just very low, it was an undeclared/unadvertised offer, often going on for months. I have yet to see a price increase that I thought was very expensive, you can use all the tatics of saying "overnight", 300% increase etc but if the original price was not mentioned there would be no shock at the current price. All the increased prices seem to be pretty much inline with other supermarkets or other brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Lol @ above.....:rolleyes:

The capital letters were merely to emphasise that it was Tescos wine gums.....

That would make me believe that no supplier increased the price they have to buy at....

Tesco just thought fcuk it! Double the price this week!

They're a robbing shower of 'see you next Tuesdays', and I for one won't darken their door again! (and I use to be a 80-100€ a week spender there)

I also noticed in bargain alerts today....

Tescos now selling 24 x 330ml bottles for €17.
    Thats great.........
    They've been selling 24 decks of Stella for over a year now for €15!!! so Infact another LIE from them!

17euros still a good deal, don't get me wrong, it's the way they take us for idiots I don't agree with!

And as for my comment on price hikes, many folk dontheir weekly shopping in Tescos and (rightly or wrongly) presume that item a costs x amount.

Don't know if you take a drink or not rubadub, but if your pint of Guinness suddenly cost €8 in your local, where it had previously been €4 for the last year, I'd imagine you'd be up in arms too?

Ah, actually from reading your previous posts, you'd prob shake the barmans hand, praise him on being such an entrepeneur and then tell him to keep the €2 change from your tenner you just gave him?

Cos afterall......

That's business sir!

Glad you are amused, I find your posts hilarious too.
    That would make me believe that no supplier increased the price they have to buy at....

The supplier could have increased the price, I doubt tesco own actual sweet processing plants. Whether it did increase or not is not important to me, the original price was very low, could have been a loss leader to them. Offer it low for months with no mention of it being an offer so most people do not stock up on the loss leaders, then when they have a customer who has developed a liking for the product they increase the price so now it is more profitable while still in line with other shops selling similar items. Pepsi have been doing this for a long time now.

There are still many items in tesco that are very low in price, I remember a fridge ready meal chicken breast curry was something ridiculous like €1.20 for ages, no mention of it being an offer. I think it is now €2.50 which is still very good value compared to other brands and supermarkets.
    17euros still a good deal, don't get me wrong,
    Exactly the point I was making. Even when the prices go up they nobody can claim they are very expensive, they only hide behind these percentages, OMG it has gone up 200% -so what price is it now, emmm errr still cheap...

And as for my comment on price hikes, many folk dontheir weekly shopping in Tescos and (rightly or wrongly) presume that item a costs x amount.
    I make no presumptions, I generally buy what is on offer and my weekly food bills are quite low because of this. I never go in with a shopping list, if there is one particular item I want there is usually one brand on offer, or I stock up when it is on offer.
    Don't know if you take a drink or not rubadub, but if your pint of Guinness suddenly cost €8 in your local, where it had previously been €4 for the last year, I'd imagine you'd be up in arms too?
    But the original prices are low, so it is more like saying if my local had guinness for €2 all year and increased it 100% overnight to €4, then I would not be up in arms, I would just shrug my shoulders and say it was good while it lasted. If it doubled in price compared to other pubs I would drink in the other pub. If the tesco products I buy doubled in price compared to other supermarkets I would buy them elsewhere. But I have yet to see these overly expensive tesco products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The capital letters were merely to emphasise that it was Tescos wine gums.....

They're a robbing shower of 'see you next Tuesdays', and I for one won't darken their door again! (and I use to be a 80-100€ a week spender there)

I also noticed in bargain alerts today....

Tescos now selling 24 x 330ml bottles for €17.
    Thats great.........
    They've been selling 24 decks of Stella for over a year now for €15!!! so Infact another LIE from them!

17euros still a good deal, don't get me wrong, it's the way they take us for idiots I don't agree with!

Ah, actually from reading your previous posts, you'd prob shake the barmans hand, praise him on being such an entrepeneur and then tell him to keep the €2 change from your tenner you just gave him?

Cos afterall......

That's business sir!

This thread?
    Groceries: Tesco Beers - leaflet in the indo - boards.ie

Some great deals there. They don't have to keep it at €15. Are you as eagle eyed about Dunnes etc.?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    This thread?
    Groceries: Tesco Beers - leaflet in the indo - boards.ie

Some great deals there. They don't have to keep it at €15. Are you as eagle eyed about Dunnes etc.?

Not being rude K9, but I don't care about Dunnes, this thread relates to Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not being rude K9, but I don't care about Dunnes, this thread relates to Tescos.

Obviously.

Is it coz they are Brits? :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Obviously.

Is it coz they are Brits? :D

Lol!!

No!

(seriously)

It's prob just the fact that their currently isn't a Dunnes in Naas, so don't be in one odten enough to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Think this picture says it all :eek: :pac:

IMAG0017.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

CombatCow wrote: »
    Think this picture says it all :eek: :pac:

I think that just might be an error - probably some eejit in a computer room saw 15.8c and thought, "thats wrong - it must be 1.58"

May be best to let tesco know rather than have some poor parent paying 1.40 eatra for a marshmallow!

Those show as 15cent online, shame the money back trick doesn't work when the price is too high, could have cleaned them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

My (honestly) only ever email of complaint to a retailer whohappens to be Tesco

Hello

I'm just mailing to question why
    Tesco Finest* Chicken And Beech Smoked Bac Pasta Bake 800G

has had it's price changed so often. If you look at it's price history for the product at Tesco Mahon point you will see where I am coming from. Several weeks ago I purchased this product at 5.60 and it has now been increased to 7 euro! I could understand if it had been on special offer but it was never much more than 6 euro. When I purchased the product at 5.60 it had been changed and included a pasta which was in my opinion, inferior to the previous pasta. I assumed that with a new lower price, there was a reduction in the ingredient quality but I was still happy to buy what I believe to be a fantastic product. My wife and I used to call to Tescos purely to buy this product and as a result we would always buy the usual extras like garlic bread etc but because it has increased to the price it is now, we feel it's not worth the price considering, by the time you factor in the extras, it no less expensive than a decent takeaway. Is the new price and current ingredients here to stay?

Regards

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

It was actually me who brought up their own Brand winegums 128% price increase :D Actually all their confectionary went up as I used to go out of my way to get my sweet tooth satisfied.
    Now I go to Lidl/aldi - haha stick that Tesco you are missing out on my €5/6 a week :p Missus still does main shop there though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I think there is a bit of confusion here around promotional prices and normal price.

Tesco are here to make money for the shareholders in the City of London at the end of the day. The cost of bringing in the "change for good" campaign has to be recuperate so the profit margins they have budgetted for can be returned to Tesco Multinational. So if you slowly raise prices in certain sections you start to increase your profit plus it has the added bonus when you slash the price for a promotion you may very well have a promo price that is at or above the original price after the change for good campaign. Like i know by reading your comments that there are a good few diligent shoppers here but the vast majority of people dont retain there receipts from 6 months ago. Tesco prob do another hyperbole price cutting campaign before Xmas before doing the same price rise by stealth campaign.

I try to avoid shopping there myself due to the fact they source most of there products from outside Ireland rather than go through distributors here. I rather pay that little extra to keep jobs in Ireland rather than in warehouses in england.

Advertisement