Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Park - Travel And Accomodation Advice

Options
  • 05-06-2010 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My football team (Sunderland AFC) are playing a friendly against a Munster XI, in Thomond Park, on the 13th of July.

I've never been to Thomond or the surrounding area, so I'm looking for some travel and accomodation advice please.

I'd be travelling down on a Bus Eireann bus, so would be arriving at the Bus Eireann station in Limerick. I haven't got a clue where this is, is it far from Thomond Park?

Also, I'll need one nights accomodation. Is there any decent and cheap (no more than €60 for a twin room) accomodation around near Thomond Park itself?

Thanks all :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Hi,

Everything is within walking distance to thomond park, though I wouldnt stay in a hotel in the raheen, roxboro or castletroy area as they would be too far, but from the city centre and the ennis road you would be close enough to thomond park. Try the travel lodge at coonagh roundabout for cheap accomodation although it is at the edge of the city and away from the nightlife.Also the greenhills have special deals at times.Along the ennis road there are some guest houses too.

Just a word of advice book now, as the costs of hotels usually go up in times of a match and it can be hard to secure decent accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

By Thomond park the nearest hotel is the clarion suites but is on the expensive side then you have greenhills nice bit away though.

You would be better trying to get a good rate in a hotel in town and just getting a bus out to thomond park which there are loads off just get caherdavin bus 302 runs lik every twenty mins, and at least then you would be in town in ya fancy going out for the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

All From Lastminute.ie You should use http://www.lastminute.co.uk

You can get Patrick Punchs for €49 Room Only

http://www.patrickpunchshotel.com/

You can get the George Botique Hotel for €69 Room Only

http://www.thegeorgeboutiquehotel.com/

You can get the Clarion Suites - One bedroom Deluxe Apt for €69 Room only

http://www.clarionhotelsuiteslimerick.com/

If I were you I would pick the George Hotel. Its central location would be perfect for you. It would take you 15-20 minutes to walk from here to Thomond Park.

Directions to Hotel from Bus Station/Train Station. Come out of Bus Station and walk east along Parnell St until you get to the top of Roches Street. Turn Left and walk down here crossing over two junctions and you're there. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Oh no, Therokerroar is coming from the football forum to the town I live in.:D

In terms of price and comfort for the price, Punches would not be a bad shout.

It is about a mile out of the town, on the opposite side to Thomond Park, but it has a bus stop to town literally beside it, plus it has Punches pub and restaurant as part of it's complex as well as a fitness club.

The 304 bus would take you from Punches to town and back.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1251473934-304.pdf

and the 302 bus would take you from town to Thomond Park and back. You would catch this bus beside the Dunnes Stores on Henry street.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1251473892-302.pdf

If you do want to stay in the town centre, then Berty is spot on to suggest the George hotel, and you would still use the 302 bus if you wanted to get to Thomond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Why not get the train- the bus from Dublin is hellish (assuming thats where you're coming from) Train is 10 euro each way for off-peak services if you book it on irishrail.ie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

thumbs up for the train, a lot less stress and you still arrive at the same station as the bus, plus you can pee, have tayto sandwiches and walk around!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Why not get the train- the bus from Dublin is hellish (assuming thats where you're coming from) Train is 10 euro each way for off-peak services if you book it on irishrail.ie!

I'm coming from Wexford mate, so unfortunately, the train is not an option, due to the fact I'd have to get a train from Wexford to Dublin, then Dublin to Limerick. The Bus Eireann will be a direct journey from Wexford to Limerick, and will be about three hours quicker in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Go for the George, theroakroar, you are about 15 minutes away as said, there'll be crowds walking in the direction of the match anyway and at least after the match if you fancy dinner or a night out, you are in the centre of the action. The hotel is lovely too, stayed there with some American Air Hosteses on a couple of occasions, even though I live in Limerick ;-)
    Have a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Go for the George, theroakroar, you are about 15 minutes away as said, there'll be crowds walking in the direction of the match anyway and at least after the match if you fancy dinner or a night out, you are in the centre of the action. The hotel is lovely too, stayed there with some American Air Hosteses on a couple of occasions, even though I live in Limerick ;-)
    Have a good one

You Slut. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Berty wrote: »
    You Slut. :D

Ha ha ha, pity the airline they worked for finished up :( i'm sure there were more for me to get through!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Well, I've booked my tickets and a night at Punch's Hotel :cool:

The hotel was only €39 for a Twin Room because of the Internet Saver Rate :D

Advertisement