Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bermingham Cameras

• 04-06-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

hi i know this an old post but rang birminghams today for info on a lens all the chap did was grunt at me on the phone said yes they had the lens in stock and hung up on me,the lens in is nearly 100 cheaper in there than most places and cheper than it was on line but there is no way they are getting my cash.:mad:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Over priced w****** end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I'm not sure what the general opinion here is on boards but I've had a very good 1st experience in Conns over the last 2 days. Rented a Sigma 10-20mm lens for the day. Staff couldn't be more helpful. I've been considering buying a Canon 550d and even though the price on Ebay is nearly €200 cheaper it seems like it would be worthwhile buying it in there for the after-sales service i.e if anything goes wrong they will lend you one until its fixed.

That said, I'll probably try and save a bit of money by buying my lens on Ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Really bad service, but they have been that way for 20 yrs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

golfman wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the general opinion here is on boards but I've had a very good 1st experience in Conns over the last 2 days. Rented a Sigma 10-20mm lens for the day. Staff couldn't be more helpful. I've been considering buying a Canon 550d and even though the price on Ebay is nearly €200 cheaper it seems like it would be worthwhile buying it in there for the after-sales service i.e if anything goes wrong they will lend you one until its fixed.

I like Conns too. Excellent service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

golfman wrote: »

Conns have great aftercare service - but products are expensive.

Gunns (from the limited times I've been in there) ... are always helpful and expensive products.

popped into Berminghams once.... so cant really comment on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Maybe it's changed over 5 years but I find the 2 guys in Hall Cameras to be extremely friendly and helpful. Only bought Lowepro bags in there but they're generally cheaper than others by a few Euro.

Plus 1 for Conns. Was buying a cheap lens wiper and he just gave me a cleaning pen that had come loose from a pack. Will defo use them again.

Only been into Birminghams once and they hadn't got what I needed but the young guy working there was pretty friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Brought a Sigma 70-200 f2.8EX back with a loose mount and I was accused of having the lens on a tripod without the tripod collar before they reluctantly agreed to fix it under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

i think i will get it in conns or halls rang them today and very good service over the phone, i am new to photography so i was in need of help with what lens to get for my camera 100 times better than that f**k i was talking to in birminghams.cant stand bad sales people.i know it will cost me nearly 70 euro more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Birminghams need a flash mob shouting "you're Sh~te"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i shop almost exclusively in the camera exchange and gunns. have little comment on conn's, because i've never had an experience worth remarking on there, but i found both halls and berminghams unhelpful. the former insisted a lens i now own did not exist, and got annoyed with me when i claimed it did, and the latter were just unhelpful to the point of it being bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

As ever your milage may vary ...

I was shopping around for a D90 this week. Called into three shops in the city; Berminghams, Conns and Exchange. Never been to Gunns, it's just too far for lunchtime visits.

Here are my personal experiences -

Camera Exchange: brusque, didn't have D90 in stock and didn't really want to know me. No offer to follow up. When I enquired about a third-party lens (Tamron) he suggested I buy a magazine and look for good mail order in the UK. Were willing to take a trade-in on a D60 kit for €200-250.

I have bought there in the past and had good service.

Conn's - had stock, wouldn't budge an inch on price - 800 for body, 630 for 16-85 lens - €1430 total, take it or leave it. Insulted me by reluctantly offering 125 for D60 kit. Should have just said no trade-ins.

Shop always very busy and staff are like hawks swooping on you.

Bermingham's - two visits, both (young) assistants courtious and helpful. Second visit neccessitated a couple of phone calls to get a discouunt, was kept entertained with relevant small-talk while waiting. No stock so promised to phone when new stock arrived the following day. They did. €1200 for D90 and 16-85 - I cannot commend them highly enough.

I like the space there too - but not much stock to handle.

They also offered €200-250 on a trade-in, but got a better deal with crisp notes.

NB - I'll have a d60 on adverts soon if you're interested :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like its down to whoever you get to talk to in the shop.

conn's were more than happy to talk prices on trade in with me; was an older assistant who called over another older chap, who seemed to be in charge of haggling on trade-ins. he was to the point, but polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

my 2 cents,
    i shopped exclusively in Birmingham for a while.. nice guys , good prices, but i ventured in Conns recently and have to say the guys there a super helpfull.
    Bimingham gave me discounts on more than one ocasion - Conns are more expensive but imo the service nearly makes up for the difference ..
    Depends on the type of buyer you are - if you want advice/great service Conns it is, if you know what you want - dont mind the rude old guy (owner ?) - head to Birmingham :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Opening a new thread as these posts were added to an old thread from 2005.

Please do not revive old threads from the archives unless it's very relevant. Let the old ones rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 att73

My experience is that all the staff there, bar one chap is the rudest salesman you will ever encounter. I bet you talked to him when you rang! He thinks he knows all & is very condescending and I did actually have to reprimand him for his tone once!

Their prices are on the slightly higher side but they do haggle, but this guy is totally avoidable. You will know him when you visit.

Having said all that, it doesn't stop me from having a look-over there once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I rung up, Asked them about info on their stock of used lenses, I explained how I didn't have access to the internet ( Well I did, Dial up, But I had free calls to all of Ireland so decided I'd make the most of it ) he responded, "Yes they're on the website" and hung up. Talk about no training what so ever in dealing with enquiries from the public!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Talk about no training what so ever in dealing with enquiries from the public!

One doesn't require training to be polite to your fellow people. Goto Gunn instead, they are polite and their prices are very competitive.

Advertisement