Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Cooper is happy with senator Ivor Callelly

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Talk about stating (or deliberately NOT stating) the obvious!
    I was residing in my residence in West Cork when I was appointed to the Seanad. My expenses were initiated to reflect that position. But due to the way this controversy has been presented, I can relate to and acknowledge the level of public annoyance.

When was he appointed ? August 2007
    When had he moved to Cork ?
    Did he move to Dublin as soon as he got the job, like most people would if they had the luxury of two houses ?

The obvious question is when did he move to Dublin, and why didn't he inform his employer that the expenses were no longer applicable ?

If there was a month or two overlap, I'd say something, but €81,000 ????

That'd do me for 4 years, and not as "expenses" either - as gross untaxable income!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hopefully the Independent will keep the preesure on Jackie Healy Rea to explain his many years of expences and shanigans: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/healyrae-bullish-over-expenses-2209830.html

Next in line? About bloody time!
    JACKIE Healy-Rae has admitted that up until recently he has been driving to the Dail from his south Kerry constituency in the company of another Oireachtas member -- but he cannot say if they both claimed mileage expenses for their journey.

The 69-year-old politician -- who regularly travels to the capital by train for Dail sittings, claiming €72 for his ticket on each occasion, despite being entitled to free travel by virtue of his age -- similarly refused to identify the politician with whom he had been car pooling.
    Asked if he might at least consider the purchase of a €10 train ticket, as opposed to the more expensive option of €72, so saving the taxpayer €62 in the process, he responded by asking what concern his travel arrangements were to the Sunday Independent.

...And he qualifies for free travel anyway given his age!
    I suspect that he's just using the price of a ticket to justify his claims - yet again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Matt Cooper is an idiot.

Unethical action is unethical. Stealing money from the state to do the state a service is stealing from the state, which is never doing a service.

At the age of 30, Matt Cooper became the youngest ever editor of a national newspaper in this country.

He is anything but an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Personally, I think expenses should be paid from the constituency office to the Dáil because at the end of the day, if he wasn't going to the Dáil, he'd be going to his constituency office anyway.

So he'd have to travel from Cork to Dublin all on his own, every morning, to his constituency office, claim-free.

Third Fianna Fáil senator 'asked to explain expenses'
    A third Fianna Fáil senator has reportedly been asked by the party to provide an explanation of expense claims.
    The Sunday Business Post says Dublin-based Senator Ann Ormonde claimed expenses from a holiday home in Waterford for a period of time.

source: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/third-fianna-fail-senator-asked-to-explain-expenses-460580.html#ixzz0q4uQQNyr

The words "here we go again..." spring to mind.
    It seems she is not the only one however as others are listed too as questionable. Including from the other said of the Dail too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'd also like to see Jackie Healy Rea explain his expenses, far more explicit than Ivor's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

gandalf wrote: »
    Of course it is. Now when people all shakes their fists at FF and say reign your Senators in they can say "but they aren't our senators".

Its disgusting, immoral and wrong and both those men should resign if they had any honour (yes I know I am hoping for the impossible!).
    Well Brian Cowen should resign and dissolve the government and call a general election but that's so impossible not even Jim Phelps could accomplish that one!

Well Brian Cowen should resign and dissolve the government and call a general election but that's so impossible not even Jim Phelps could accomplish that one!

+1

• Advertisement

I'd also like to see Jackie Healy Rea explain his expenses, far more explicit than Ivor's.
    So far this year €70,000: 166de7k.jpg

Last year: €90,000 on top of other expenses.
    xq2w3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Biggins wrote: »
    So far this year €70,000: 166de7k.jpg

Last year: €90,000 on top of other expenses.
    xq2w3.jpg

I hope to christ this sparks the beginning of the end of the current regime. It's one outrage that almost all people can get angry about, with luck media and public pressure will mount to an unbearable degree on clueless Cowens shoulders.

There can be no justification for those figures, none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

moonpurple wrote: »
    ivor decided to resign today

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0605/callelyi_butlerl.html
    breaking news:eek:

Pity he didn't do it with the help of a lynch knot.

Line these cnuts up against a wall and kill them, simple. And i'm not taking the piss either. Kill them. Make an example of them. They are contributing to the indirect deaths of others. Extreme? YEa, but fcuk them, scum of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

scum of the earth.

If I were an algae coating on a pond, I'd object to that on the grounds that I was far more useful and less corrupt than those you are referring to.

Pity he didn't do it with the help of a lynch knot.

Line these cnuts up against a wall and kill them, simple. And i'm not taking the piss either. Kill them. Make an example of them. They are contributing to the indirect deaths of others. Extreme? YEa, but fcuk them, scum of the earth.

don't be sitting on the fence now will you:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Ivor's back in the news, arrested by the Gardai today. This follow's on from the investigation into the documents he submitted for new Mobile Phones claims to the Seanad, and the sending of a file to the DPP, & decision to prosecute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement