Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike relationship issue.

• 05-06-2010 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

This thread should probably be posted Personal Issues but I know people here will be a lot more understanding.

I could be imagining this but my bike seems to be making a lot more noise lately. The noise seems to be originating from the rear derailleur/cassette area. It is a relatively new bike(8months old), all gears change crisply, the chain is regularly cleaned and it is lubed before each spin. The chain is not rubbing on the front derailleur.

Could this be a case of OCD towards my bike? I have been cycling for over six months and have probably become slightly obsessed with my bike (I know this is not uncommom around here). Am I starting to become paranoid in our relationship? Is it revenge for not keeping the frame as clean as other bikes that I encounter on trips?

Hopefully this is just a small issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know all honeymoons come to an end.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Have you readjusted the gears since you bought it? The cables need tightening every now and then.

Other than that I just woke up and can't think of anything funny to write for the rest of your post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I know all honeymoons come to an end.

You can keep the spark alive by regular spoiling.-Expensive accessories work well in my experience.
    A good service is always appreciated too.
    Long trips away might help in your mutual voyage of rediscovery.

Other than that all I can suggest is check your chain isn't stretched.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

How much milage have you done? It could be a case of wear on the casset and/or stretching in the chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

On a serious note: Put your bike on a stand, rotate the pedals and if the clicking is like it wants to shift cogs, then it is an indexing issue. Turn the barrel adjuster until the noise goes (it is the plastic knob where the cable enters the rear derailleur). Check that the chain stays in all gears properly. It will take 5 mins of trial and error and is down to the cable stretching with use. The adjuster adds a bit of tightness to offset this. Only a 1/4 or 1/2 turn should be enough.
    Outside of that, I've generally found that you might need a new bike with full carbon frame and dura ace groupset and shouldn't cost more than 4 or 5 grand.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/

This link is excellent for repair help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Maybe excessive cleaning?

Try a dirty weekend away. Just the two of you. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Gunth

ashleey the bike changes through the gears with no problems such as trying to shift into other cogs. I am at a bit of a loss as to what it could be, that's why I am thinking that I am imagining things.

It's had an easy life so far. I have clocked about 3000km max and it stays indoors when not in use. No garden shed for this bike! No more Mr. Niceguy maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Sometimes they just need a bit of rough handling

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Ever listen to Ray Darcy's SEXperiment - maybe you should try that!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

give a give a give a garmin .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

3000km max
    Chain stretch a definite possibility if on original chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

yeah you need a 12 inch rule or measuring tape too see if your chain is stretched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Gunth

papac wrote: »
    Chain stretch a definite possibility if on original chain.

I will measure for chain wear later and see if this will show up anything. Did a quick google on chainwear and the lifespan of a chain. I can't believe it is so short. Some people must be changing their chains 3 or 4 times a year!

Didn't hear that piece on the Ray Darcy show.

Advertisement