Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to South Africa - any advice?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

There is a strong possibility I'll be moving to South Africa (with the husband!!) in the Autumn. Most probably Johannesburg...

It might be for just a few months or might run to a year, but woud appreciate any tips or advice on areas to live, go out, shop...

What's the healthcare system like? And dentists? I need a bit of dental work done so should I get it done here in the UK before I go or would it make more financial sense to get it done in South Africa?

And as I'm a cheese addict, is there anything close to chedder there?!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I just asked my OH for you. He is from Johannesburg but emigrated to New Zealand where we're living now.

He always waits until he goes home to Joburg to visit his family to get dental work done. It's much much cheaper. He saves it all up and waits! He says you'd be much better off to wait.

Also, he says cheese is nice in SA and yes, there is cheddar. NZ cheese is crap (don't get me started on that!) and he says SA is much better.

Not sure about areas to live as he is from Lenasia which is outside Joburg and was an Indian township, so probably not the best place! Malls are really big in SA for shopping and everyone drives everywhere because it's safer and there's no public transport so mall shopping is what everyone does. He says the shopping is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks a mill watna! That's a great help! And so glad to hear about the cheese! :D

My niece is in NZ and don't think she is too happy about the cheese situation there! But I think the snowboarding is making up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Hey I'm from dublin and have lived in Joburg for the past 2 years. Love the place and the country overall - it has its draw backs.

PM me if you'd live to chat.

Ian

Advertisement