Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hong Kong

• 05-06-2010 9:35am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Having a stop off in Hong Kong on my way back to Australia. Hope to have a look at a few Camera Shops here as well as taking a few photo's around the place.

The first day here I mainly saw just the inside of my room.

0C68C894C044412B8393C62A2D5C8D7E.jpg

Got an Upgrade from a Standard Room to a Harbour View Suite. :D

Last night there was some music from downstairs & lots of people arriving at a park below. It seemed like some sort of Rally. It turns out that they have a Vigil in this park each year on June 4 to remember the massacre in Tiananmen Square in 1989. I took some shots from the room but was way too tired to go down.

3DD51765019A46ACAD9991B88BC102A2.jpg

Today went on the MTR over to Stanley Street, where there was supposed to be Camera Shops. Did not find many there, but took some photo's on the MTR on the way over.

5F0B5E84F2A8445F95279816540447C3.jpg

Hopefully some more to follow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I was there a good few years ago and thought it was amazing. You should have great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

buy buy buy !!!

wish I could go (with an ever expanding budget)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

enjoy hong kong, its an amazing city, as for camera shops, go to Mong Kok, that should be a good place to start if you're looking for gear, theres also another place, but I can't remember the name of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Wow,that second picture is amazing I think,captures the city in a way.

Good luck anyway,I'll be awaiting more pics..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

love no.3 fantastic shot,enjoy the trip:)and spend spend spend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Went into a few places in Mong Kok today getting prices on the SB900 & D700. They all seem to have the same tag price & when asked all come down to the same discounted price too.

Went into a smaller shop & asked & they said the SB900 was HK$2600. As this was way cheaper than other shops I confirmed, twice, that it was the SB900 & not the SB600 he was quoting. Yes ... it was the SB900 for HK$2600 (that's about €280) so I said I would take it. There was a delay of about 15 mins while it was brought to the shop, where we went through the box & confirmed it worked. Then he added 2% to the price for using a Credit Card onto the price of HK$3600. Hold on ..... you said it was HK$2600 .... Oh you must have misunderstood me ..... Now I am 100% sure of the price he gave. The price of HK$3600 is €386 which is a lot cheaper than Dublin but I was annoyed at this charade & left.

The D700 is quoted at HK$17300 which is €1855 but I am not sure if I want to go there just yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A couple of street shots from shopping in Mong Kok. Guess what I was looking for?

A1A47A308FB8425F8B5AF37161A3827B.jpg

1974EEBB316242C89DF4964A06D1F43B.jpg

This brings a whole new meaning to the "Good Shepherd" ;)

0E1930B8E3F141188E37FCFEE90A645F.jpg

One of the Local Police .... just to tick another Tourist box.

51CAB30FB3E046E7B4206C58D84F581F.jpg

Off to the Cable Car in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

CabanSail wrote: »
    Off to the Cable Car in a few minutes.

If there's any bit of a haze around don't bother, it get's foggy half way up and you can't see anything, Disneyland is on the way, Don't kick yourself like I did, complete waste of a day, say hi to budda if you can see him;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

Half way up Nathan Rd there is a Mirador bllboard. Nearby was an Arcade FULL OF SECOND HAND CAMERA SHOPS. It is a mini heaven- hongkongites like the latest gear, but don't use it, so they trade in nearly new hardly used equipment. A lot. Great cameras and lenses, latest gear and real classics- Pentex 67s caught my eye, along with Hasselblad, Mamiya, and Leicas. But bear in mind - even if you get a guarantee will you be able to come back if there is a problem?For new gear watch for IXUS IXY switch- you are shown the ixus, but the camera in the box is a local version- same camera, but the guarantee isn't valid in europe.Fred is gone to the store to get it- just a stall to distract you so you don't check the box contents, or give an opportunity to sell you something else. be realistic- why doesn't he have stock in the shop?Big shops all offer similar prices and discounts- they have little leeway on these, but can offer extras like memory or cases as incentives. Check for worldwide guarantees. I bought 2 second hand lenses there 6 years ago. One got extensive use until I dropped it in a river, the other (a 20-35mm) is still in use. no complaints on either. I liked the trams, loved the night and hated the haze.Enjoy

• Advertisement

Near the Cable Car station there was an amazing fountain. It was very humid, so kids being kids, it was playtime. A couple of them were quite theatrical.

706634220560484CB5C3061A4715F11B.jpg

41736E122D3F4356B464C3ED393C1B83.jpg

8627D95B678F40B0BA1DA7BEA5086E41.jpg

5E4F92126B234C7AACA3B70C33790AA6.jpg

There are few more on my Pix.ie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Near the Cable Car station there was an amazing fountain. It was very humid, so kids being kids, it was playtime. A couple of them were quite theatrical.

There are few more on my Pix.ie

Hey, are you sure these are your shots? Kid? Rain falling? Hong Kong? :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The first day here I mainly saw just the inside of my room.

0C68C894C044412B8393C62A2D5C8D7E.jpg

Got an Upgrade from a Standard Room to a Harbour View Suite. :D

Sorry to hear you are slummin' it :D

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jtang

i highly recommend you go to "sham shui po" which is the old part of the city, lots to snap there. btw have fun in my home city ;)

Ohhh are we supposed to post our own photo's here? Why am I always the last to know!

Was in Sham Shui Po yesterday & then again today. Got a charger for my EN_EL4 batteries, but it did not work. Took it back today & tried a different one, same story. Went up the road & got the Genuine Nikon one for twice the price but it worked. Lots of shops selling camera bits & pieces. Picked up a few. I now have a Ring Flash. Drooled over the Studio Lights here too. Also some loverly used Film SLR's. Have also got a Sat Nav for Australia (well just about the whole world as they put on a load of data for HK$20) which has a camera for Reversing in the car. Handy for the Landrover!

At the Hair Pot now on the Free WiFi waiting to board the next leg to Brisbane. May be away for a while as I have to organise Phone & Net connections at home.

.... and yes Tommy .... I really did it rough in HK!!! Cya's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

And get to macau if you have a chance, fast ferry leaves from the docks in Kowloon IIRC. It's similar to HK in that it's another ex-european colony. Portuguese though instead of british. The old part of macau is cool as well.

-edit-
    At the Hair Pot now on the Free WiFi waiting to board the next leg to Brisbane. May be away for a while as I have to organise Phone & Net connections at home.

.... and yes Tommy .... I really did it rough in HK!!! Cya's

Woops !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

jtang wrote: »
    i highly recommend you go to "sham shui po" which is the old part of the city, lots to snap there. btw have fun in my home city ;)

In Mong Kok, go to Sai Yeurng Choi street to the markets, also check out ocean park instead of disney as its ment to be awesome! Oh and take a trip on the trams around Hong Kong island, damnit, I really really want to go back again!

I am in Brisbane now. Will have to visit HK again as it's a grear place for a stop-over. The choices seem to be Hong Kong, Singapore & Bangkok. The first two have Camera Gear on sale. My next trip I will be travelling light too.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Im going to be in Hong Kong in October for 5 days as part of my honeymoon. I was looking forward to it already but after reading this thread I cant bloody wait!!

Advertisement