Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to UPC

• 05-06-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I am using eircoms so called next gen broadband with the 10GB download. This connection maxes out around the equivalent to a 2MB line. Needless to say keeping under the limit is kinda challenging. I was thinking about switching to the 15MB UPC phone and broadband (already have digital).

Could anyone tell me if its worthwhile switching to UPC....like is there any big issues with the companys service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

dermo1990 wrote: »
    I am using eircoms so called next gen broadband with the 10GB download. This connection maxes out around the equivalent to a 2MB line. Needless to say keeping under the limit is kinda challenging. I was thinking about switching to the 15MB UPC phone and broadband (already have digital).

Could anyone tell me if its worthwhile switching to UPC....like is there any big issues with the companys service

I have been with UPC for years now and the only major issue I had was when I took the free upgrade from 20meg to 30meg for a few weeks my connection was dropping to 5meg or so at peak times.

Before the upgrade I always got full speed around the clock and a few weeks after the upgrade the hiccups were sorted.

I get this around the clock now.

837684690.png18243876.png

250gig fair usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

We've started to get letters from UPC about switching to their digital TV and phone services though nothing about broadband. I live in North Dublin and their was some talk about NTL coming to my area quite a few years back but someone said it wasn't feasible because we were situated behind a hill that was blocking the signal and there wasn't enough of an interest to warrant putting in a reflector. I wonder what's changed if anything? Do you need some sort of aerial or dish to avail of UPC's services or a cable connection or both? How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

I have been using this service for 2 years with no complaints...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

briany wrote: »
    We've started to get letters from UPC about switching to their digital TV and phone services though nothing about broadband. I live in North Dublin and their was some talk about NTL coming to my area quite a few years back but someone said it wasn't feasible because we were situated behind a hill that was blocking the signal and there wasn't enough of an interest to warrant putting in a reflector. I wonder what's changed if anything? Do you need some sort of aerial or dish to avail of UPC's services or a cable connection or both? How does it work?

That was just MMDS (The ariel tv service).
    The Digital TV/BB/Phone are only available via cable, so hills, and line of sight, and beam benders, have nothing to do with it.

When UPC bought out NTL/Chorus they spent millions laying new cable neworks.
    NTL/Chorus nevre had the money to do this.

So what's available to you know is a lot different to what NTL weren't able to offer.

They have cables running up to the area now it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 baldybohs

we are building extension and UPC put their digital cable over the roof and in the back wall, the router is connected to this and there is an ethernet cable from this into the computer. Question: can I still have broadband (to use laptop) even though this ethernet cable will be disconnected until build is finished? :confused: Also the phone seems to be connected to the router??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I've been with them for a couple of years and the connection has been great I regularly get 10-15 MB down in the evenings and about 1-1.5MB up constantly.
    The only issue is their customer service is rubbish my speed test is below

838733542.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

UPC : When the service works, it is brilliant and great value for money. When it doesn't work....welcome to support hell.

Advertisement