Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOLOGY!!!!!!!

Options
  • 05-06-2010 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

anyone tell me what the enzyme catalse substrate is?? cant remember.......sodium hydroxide was what i thought but i did an experiment with celery in it for some reason......help is appreciated!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Hydrogen peroxide

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

lallychops wrote: »
    anyone tell me what the enzyme catalse substrate is?? cant remember.......sodium hydroxide was what i thought but i did an experiment with celery in it for some reason......help is appreciated!!!!:confused:
    Yeah it's hydrogen peroxide. The celery is in the experiment because it contains the catalase.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

• Yep the catalase is in the celery.

• Substrate is hydrogen peroxide. H2O2

• The catalse decomposes the hydrogen peroxide to release water and oxygen.

• The rate of activity is measured by the increase in volume of the bubbles from the washing up liquid.

• If measuring effect of temp you use different water baths and use a pH buffer to keep that constant

• If measuring effect of pH you use different pH buffers and the same water bath at constant temp

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

• Yep the catalase is in the celery.

• Substrate is hydrogen peroxide. H2O2

• The catalse decomposes the hydrogen peroxide to release water and oxygen.

• The rate of activity is measured by the increase in volume of the bubbles from the washing up liquid.

• If measuring effect of temp you use different water baths and use a pH buffer to keep that constant

• If measuring effect of pH you use different pH buffers and the same water bath at constant temp

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks a million really appreciated that

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

lallychops wrote: »
    Thanks a million really appreciated that

No problem :)
    Enzyme experiments are pretty likely apparently! Guy on radio said to focus on them. Good luck with the study! Cramming english myself today =[

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Victoria. wrote: »
    No problem :)
    Enzyme experiments are pretty likely apparently! Guy on radio said to focus on them. Good luck with the study! Cramming english myself today =[

yeah i was listening to that aswell its actually a handy programme so i thought id better get my act together and start looking at them again :pac:

hopefully english wont be too bad.......:(

Advertisement