Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I replace my garden shed with a block one easily?

• 05-06-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I have a garden shed that is coming to the end of it's life. Rather than replace it with another wooden one, I was thinking of alternatives.

The shed sits on a flat poured concrete base of about 10 ft by 8 ft.

Would it be possible to build a simple block shed with a durable roof and have a light and sockets fitted into it.

Would it need a proper foundation or would the concrete base do the job. The concrete is about 6 inches deep on good ground.

Is something like this feasible as regards waterproofing from the ground etc?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah if the base is 6 inches deep it should be ok providing the concrete is strong enough.

if you are going to render the walls when you are finished i would say give the block laying a shot but as a beginner i would nearly guarentee that you will not get a great finish.

blocks are cheap and it would not take much to make a weather proof roof.

i would recommend a cavity block and dont for get your DPC. look up a homebond mmanual for basic construction details for what you will need around windows, door and the roof.

give it a shot. but if you dont feel confident doing it get a pro to do it as it may cost you more in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i wouldnt advise it. Its a pig in a poke, you dont know if there is steel in the base and at 6 inches is not deep enough at the edges for a wall.

An alternative would be to dig around the perimiter of the concrete base and pour a proper foundation for walls, and build your walls on that. The pre existing base could be your interior floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

dig down besdie it. if its on a good base of stone 6 inches of concrete will be enough to support a shed that size.

as i said it depends on the strengh of the ocncrete

the da built a shed 20 years ago. and it has not settled one bit and was on 6 inch concrerte with a good stone base.

at the end of the day its a shed its not going to fall down. worst case the base will crack and might settle slightly . but you have to weigh up yourself is this acceptable to you as in do you want to dig it up replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Thanks for the info.

I can only dig around it on 3 sides as there is a wall into my neighbour's property, which is about 8 ft below mine. (The top of the wall is level with my garden and there is a 6 ft wooden fence on top of the wall. i.e. there is an 8 ft 'step' between my house and the neighbour's as they are built on a small slope) One side of the concrete base is along this wall/fence.

Crude attempt at a profile diagram!
    ______________my garden
    !
    !
    8 ft drop !
    !
    !
    __neighbour_______!

The wall is a cavity block with concrete inside the cavity.

I probably wouldn't tackle it myself but does anyone know a rondabout figure to have someone build it, taking into account digging founds all the way around which may mean breaking the concrete on one side and extending out the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

The wall that you say you cant dig is easily solved. Run a con saw a foot or two back down that side and use a cango hammer or a jack if its to deep to remove this section of concrete.
    Now you can add this floor area on the opposite side so you dont use floor space. Now dig your perimeter foundation properly and begin brickwork.
    Price will take a few factors into account and an accurate price cant be given without viewing the site. All thats in it is concrete, blocks, dpc, mortar, Timber for the roof either flat or gable, slates, door and maybe some steel reinforcements for the side with the 8 ft drop depending on the soils integrity etc.
    Then the question of external finish of plaster, pebbledash etc and internal`finish ie power plumbing etc.
    I think your better off posting a budget and you would get a better idea of what type of shed you would be able to build. Quick diagram of what you need to do below. If your in Dublin I know a lad that does that work that will take a look at it if ye like.64945968.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Batman1

I building a block shed at the moment. The costs to date for blocks, sand, cement, aggregate, damp course and steel is approx 1k for a shed of 8ft by 16ft. This doesn't include door, windows(s), roofing, armoured electrical cable, guttering, interior and exterior finishing. I'd expect to complete the job to finish for €2.5k approx.

The advice given so far is sound. But don't underestimate the need for a solid foundation. The groundwork makes up the majority of the labour - the block laying will be a three four days max

If you have easy access to the garden getting materials to the site shouldn't be a problem but if you have to hawk every through the house you should give careful consideration to a prefabricated shed - foundation and base will still be required

Advertisement