Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woopie Cake

Options
  • 05-06-2010 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Anyone know where in Dublin I can buy some Whoopie cakes ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I've seen mini ones in M&S on Henry St. Haven't tried them myself, are they nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What's a Woopie cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I've heard they're an amish cake.

here

They look naughty but nice, I've had marshmallow creme before sent over by rellies from the US but haven't seen it in Ireland. Actually just scrolled down and there's a recipe for the fluff as well. Deffo. on my to do list!

Sorry to hijack the thread again but had to make these after reading the recipe. Never seen or tasted them before so have nothing to compare them to but this is how mine turned out.

They are nummy anyway. Must see if M&S round here has them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

That look nice Guineapigrescue, what recipe did you use ?

I try'd the M&S ones yesterday, they were ok..... they had buttercream in the center of them rather than marshmallow :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I tried these in Harrods, not my thing at all, pretty boring, and the mini ones were just little dry lumps. Haven't seen many of them around here yet, but I'd say they're pretty easy to make yourself.

This is the recipe I used.
    Amish Whoopie Pie Recipe

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (margarine).
    1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 cup milk

Whoopie Pie Filling (see recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Lightly grease baking sheets.

In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, and egg.

In another bowl, combine cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a small bowl, stir the vanilla extract into the milk.

Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture, alternating with the milk mixture; beating until smooth.

Drop batter by the 1/4 cup (to make 18 cakes) onto prepared baking sheets.

With the back of a spoon spread batter into 4-inch circles, leaving approximately 2 inches between each cake.

Bake 15 minutes or until they are firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Make Whoopie Pie Filling.
    When the cakes are completely cool, spread the flat side (bottom) of one chocolate cake with a generous amount of filling.
    Top with another cake, pressing down gently to distribute the filling evenly. Repeat with all cookies to make 9 pies. Let finished whoopie pies completely cool before wrapping.
    Wrap whoopie pies individually in plastic wrap, or place them in a single layer on a platter (do not stack them, as they tend to stick).
    To freeze, wrap each whoopie pie in plastic wrap. Loosely pack them in a plastic freezer container and cover. To serve, defrost the wrapped whoopie pies in the refrigerator.
    Makes 9 large whoopie pies.

Whoopie Pie Filling:
    For this recipe, you are basically making a homemade Marshmallow Fluff/Creme.
    3 egg whites, room temperature
    2 cups light corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups sifted powdered (confectioner's) sugar
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

In large bowl of an electric mixer, add egg whites, corn syrup, and salt. Using your electric mixer on high speed, mix for approximately 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and volume has almost doubled.
    On low speed, add powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Add vanilla extract just until well blended.
    Your homemade marshmallow fluff/cream is now ready to use on your Whoopie Pies or other recipes. Use immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 2 weeks.

They're really easy to make, just make sure with this recipe you have enough stuff in because it uses a lot of icing sugar and golden syrup.
    I think that the marshmallow part could do with half the golden syrup but when the marshmallow is eating with the biscuits for some reason it's not as sweet as eating it on it's own.

Mine weren't dry I guess the marshmallow helps but the biscuits turned out lovely. I froze most of them because they're so rich and defrosted some today and they were almost as nice as the freshly made ones.
    Home made or freshly made from a bakers is the only way to go really with these although the marshmallow stays fresh for weeks..it should do it has almost a full bag of icing sugar and a full tin of golden syrup in it lol.

If you find the marshmallow a bit sickening I would put less golden syrup in but you'd still get that gooey texture. Deffo. use an elec. mixer though or you'll be there forever. Follow the above recipe exactly and you can't go wrong.

Had one today and I'm still hyper.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

They look naughty but nice, I've had marshmallow creme before sent over by rellies from the US but haven't seen it in Ireland. Actually just scrolled down and there's a recipe for the fluff as well. Deffo. on my to do list!

You can get it here.
    http://sweettoothcandy.ie/index.cfm?page=product&productID=28

I haven't ordered from them - just came across the website in my research on all things Whoopie Pies!! I cannot comment on service or product - but I might have to buy me some!!

You can get mini ones at the top of Wicklow town at the coffee shop €2.00 each). Donnellis I think was the name. Got some and they are so nummy.
    The cakey part was more sticky and moist than the ones I made lovely cocoa flavour from it, not sure in the center was made from scratch or not it was nummy bit salty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I got a chocolate one in Sobey's in Canada at the weekend, Oh My God, I have never tasted anything so nice. Move to Canada guys, the Woopie cake makes it worth suffering the minus 40 degree winters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hi Folks,

After seening these Whoopie Pies in London at Christmas, I spent good money on "The Official Whoopie Pie" cook book. What a crock! Very dissapointed and most of the fillings contain something called Marsh Mallow Fluff which sounds a bit plastic to me ( feel free to slap me down on that one if it's yummy ;) ) Maybe I'm not giving it a fair crack but I was gutted when I got it.

I was sent some marshmallow cream I think it was or fluff, same difference methinks, a while ago from the US and I ate it straight out of the jar num num..although it's sickly and you have to be in a real sugar mood.

The stuff you make yourself is much nicer, although perhaps a little less golden syrup than posted in the recipe I posted below. It's sickly sweet but they are supposed to be so if making them could be better to make them mini size unless a piggy like me and I made them huuge.

The biscuit part reminds me a bit of the biccy/cakey bit of an iceberger.

Making them seperate means you could sandwich some ice cream in between the biscuits..well they really are cakes coz they are soft and sqoodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Washiskin, you can get marshmallow fluff in jars in Harvey Nichols or Donnybrook fair. It's kind of like a jar of melted marshmallow, they use it in sandwiches and stuff in america. Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 inthegateaux

I tried the woopie pies from M&S and they were so boring and bland. I couldn't even finish it. Gross!!!And such a waste of money too.

Guineapigrescue your woopie pie looks delicious I must try the recipe, M&S were so disappointing :(

Deffo try them yourself they taste so much nicer but do use a really good cocoa powder like green and blacks or the like I made the mistake of using a cheapy one last time and they were nice but weren't as nice as the first ones I made.

I bought some in Wicklow they were nice and stickier than the ones I do not sure how they made them but they looked like they'd stay fresh for a good few days without putting the in a fridge. When you make them yourself your better off freezing any left over cookies straight away and defrosting as needed that way they stay nice and fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ellie_rep

thanks so much for this recipe Guineapigrescue! Just saw I have all those ingredients in my cupboard, yippee, so excited can make some tomorrow! Had some in the states a couple months ago, they were amazing.

Last week I tried my hand at home made krispy kreme donuts, and they were nice but so oily, never again. Put on like a kilo with all that deep fat frying - yuck when I think about it.

Now I'm gonna be sick with a sugar high, but it will be worth it :) I'll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

Who else in Dublin is selling these besides M&S?

@ ellie was talking to my american aunt about krispie cream and she said they are pretty greasy but she said dunkin donuts were nicer. There's a recipe on you tube for oven baked do nuts they looked pretty nice I'll try and find the link.

I haven't made whoopie pies in ages though because they are so lethal sugar wise might make some over xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭monicafussy

Superquinn now sell them, vanilla and chocolate flavours

• Advertisement
Advertisement