Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good climbing plants that will grow from a shallow pot?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Looking to grow up trellis around an outdoor bath.

Flowers would be good. Was thinking of Clematis, but I was told it needs to put its roots deep. Concrete underneath so will grow from pot.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

any plant will grow from a pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are right about Clematis not being happy in a pot, it needs to have its roots kept cool and moist. I can't think of anything that would grow well in a shallow pot, if you are looking for a lot of top growth you really need a reasonable amount of root space.

Its a bit difficult to imagine what you are looking for, what kind/size of a bath, and why does the pot have to be shallow? A photo might help if you could post one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

you could try these very good evergreen climbers which also produce flowers and do reasoanbly well in planters: Hardenbergia or Trachelospermum Jasminoides (very scented). Very important to keep moist especially during flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

looksee wrote: »
    You are right about Clematis not being happy in a pot, it needs to have its roots kept cool and moist. I can't think of anything that would grow well in a shallow pot, if you are looking for a lot of top growth you really need a reasonable amount of root space.

Its a bit difficult to imagine what you are looking for, what kind/size of a bath, and why does the pot have to be shallow? A photo might help if you could post one.
    Just a normal bath, in a corner outside. Instead of the usual bath panelling, there is heavy trellis fitted. I wanted to put a pot the width of the bath at the bottom, and propagate plants around the trellis from it. The bath sits on the concrete apron that is around the back of the house.

I'll post pics the next couple of days.
    you could try these very good evergreen climbers which also produce flowers and do reasoanbly well in planters: Hardenbergia or Trachelospermum Jasminoides (very scented). Very important to keep moist especially during flowering.
    They look nice.

Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

flutered wrote: »
    any plant will grow from a pot.

Not really, all too often many plants grown in pots or containers can unless regularly watered etc can quickly dehydrate and die. Others can become rootbound which severely affects performance and also results in premature decay etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi Ronan,
    I've had a clematis growing in a pot for about 4 years now and it flowers every year without fail for me, I think its actually flowered more than once a year a few times. The pot now is about 40cm high terracotta, not sure of the width but its about 30cm across. I've repotted it twice so far. Snails are the only problem I have with it, they love it.

I just put the pot where the sun doesn't hit it, and covered around the roots with pebbles. I'm not sure about doing it in a bath though, wouldn't that get really hot in the sun? You could line it with cardboard first to soak up the heat. Afaik the golden rule with clematis is the head is in the sun and the roots are in the cold. Mine doesn't get too high, maybe 9 foot trained up a trellis. I only feed it after pruning and the flowers are gone, I usually water at least every 2nd day if its dry, but tbh its taken a fair bit of neglect and tis still going. This is the one I have, its just finished flowering and I can see more new flower buds starting to form:
    http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/clematis-multi-blue

thumb_180_plant_clematis___multi_blue___1_72.jpg?1274385243

I tried a climbing Jasmine in a huge pot last year and it died in a week....

Advertisement