Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for bolognaise recipe - sweetish???

Options
  • 05-06-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to make bolognaise tonight and want to make my own from scratch.

I go to an Italian resto and their bolognaise is slightly sweet???? Do they add sugar or should I use carrots or something???

Anyone have a nice recipe?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Add extra tomatoes and greated carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Start off with a mirepoix (carrot, onion, celery, finely diced). Sweat in some oil. You can use either all beef, or minced beef, minced veal and minced pork, mixed. Brown the mince. Add garlic. Then add a tin of tomatoes, about two or three tablespoons of tomato puree, a glass of red wine, and some seasoning - as per the 'here's what I had for dinner' thread, try a half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, a quarter of a grated nutmeg, a couple of teaspoons of dried oregano, some shredded basil, some bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 15 or 20 minutes. Then add something sweet - a tablespoon of brown sugar, or a thick teaspoon of black treacle, two or three squares of dark chocolate, a cube of cane sugar - whatever, as long as it's sweet. Cook for 10 more minutes. Now you can physically serve it without it poisoning you, though it will definitely improve with longer cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks folks!

Worked out well. But I think almost a little too sweet......think I needed more onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Using a can of cherry tomatoes can help make a bolognaise slightly sweeter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Jamie Oliver's recipe is fantastic.

1. do make sure and bake in the oven.
    2. don't forgo the red wine, it needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Use White wine - it's better in Bolognese than red I think. It will also counteract the sweetness - the onions and carrots give it the sweetness, and the wine and tomato a bit of acidity.

The version you got in the restaurant was probably cooked for hours though - if you don't cook a bolognese for at least 2 hours, you just aren't going to get that incredible meaty flavour.

Google Marcella Hazan's bolognese recipe - it's widely though to be one of the best and most traditional. It takes a long time though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

is there a particular type of red wine to use, been making spag bol for years, either making home made from scratch, or using a jar, or a combination of both, have never used wine, as dont drink the stuff, so would be reluctant to buy a bottle only for most of it to go to waste, plus have seen a few recepies where milk is included, again never used this my self

also any other tips to avoid the sauce being either two wet, ie, quite watery, or two dry, have never been able to get it consistant, although put this down too never keeping to the same recipe

if doing homemade mine usally goes something like this

sweat 2 carrots, 1 onion, 1 pepper, finely chopped garlic, brown 500g mince, 3 or 4 rashers streaky bacon, couple table spoons tomato puree, tin chopped tomatos, half to 3/4 tin water, grinded black peper, couple tea spoons of dried herbs, bit of bisto to thicken, and simmer for atleast an hour. (usally get about 3 generious servings from that lot)

ok, or have i been doing it wrong for alll these years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you're not happy with it being too 'watery', don't add the tin of water. I find what thickens it tends to be the tomato puree, but adding too much of that can make it very acidic. You could scrap the bisto and replace with just a beef stock cube, or if you can buy cartons of beef stock in liquid form, add a splash of that - about 200mls maybe - instead of just water.

In terms of wine, I just add what i'm drinking. I don't believe in 'cooking wine' - just on the basis that a sour, long-open wine will add a sour, stale flavour to the dish.

Currently that just tends to be a glassful of cabernet merlot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Adding some chopped bacon in with the veg at the start can be lovely as well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

Yes, a mirepoix is a good starting point - the carrot in particular will lend a sweet edge.

If you have the time I'd recommend this recipe for ragu - it does take some cooking time but the meat is so tender and the milk makes the dish slightly creamier.. it's our favourite!

http://www.chilliandchocolate.com/recipe-tagliatelle-with-bolognese-ragu/

Advertisement