Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think my kitty just got the fright of his life.

Options
  • 05-06-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

I think my 6 month old kitten just got the fight of his life. Hes only started to venture outside of our garden. Two doors over have a medium sized dog. I think he took a peek over the next garden wall. I went in to the house to grab some ham to caox him in and i think the dog barked a few times at him while he was on the wall between gardens and he scattered back into our house with his tsil all bushy.
    Now he hasnt left our bed for a half an hour which is quite unusual as he has his own room which he loves and at time his breathing sounds paniced and hes panting like a dog.
    Is this unusual?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Unusual? No. He got the fright of his life. He's terrified and that's why he hasn't come out. Try to calm him down, but don't try to pull him out of his hiding space. If you can, reach in and stroke him soothingly until he relaxes. It might take a while. Don't try to stimulate him with toys or food - just stroke him until he appears more at ease, and if he pulls away from the stroking, just sit near for a while, then try stroking again. When he calms down some you can try a favourite treat.

Hopefully this fright will keep him away from the dog. Dogs kill cats all the time - even friendly domesticated dogs who aren't guard dogs. Don't underestimate a dog you don't know near your cat.

/Edit to add, if he's panting he's very distressed. You could try offering him some cool water, but don't force him towards it or he may panic. You could even try a damp (clean) towel, rub it around his face and neck somewhat. (Damp, not dripping wet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Thanks i was trying some treats for him and he just kept watching the door.
    Will try just keepin him calm.

Advertisement