Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science UCD - Matriculating

Options
  • 05-06-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Basically, I'm a repeat leaving cert student about to head in to my second round of exams. Last year I passed all subjects, including HL maths. However having a brief discussion with my friend, he says I must pass maths again this year in order to matriculate. I was sure this wasn't the case as having passed maths last year I was already covered.

I was just wondering if I could get some clarification on this? If I fail maths this year, will I fail to get in to UCD science?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Nope, you don't need to pass it this year so long as you have an OL B3 or a HL D3 in Maths from last year. It's just Medicine that requires you to use all your subjects from one year! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Thanks again for the reassurance. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If you repeat a subject and fail it the second time, you cant use you're result from the first time! So dont fail it this year or you're in trouble!

Thats how it was explained to me when i repeated anyway!

Not at all! You can't use the result from the first time for the purposes of points, so if you fail this time round but have like, an A1 from last year, you can't take those 100 points and add it in to what you got this year. Points from last year cannot be added in, in any way.

You definitely can use results from last year for the purposes of matriculation!

From Qualifax:
    An applicant may combine the results of Leaving Certificate examinations obtained in different years for Matriculation Registration purposes. This concession applies to Matriculation Registration only; it does not apply for the calculation of points. In particular, it should be noted that students seeking to enter Medicine must meet the minimum entry requirements in the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

When i was repeating, having passed Irish and French the first time round, i didnt repeat them, and so i was able to use those results to help me get my course.

My principal told us it was you're most recent result in each subject that counts, so failing it the second time means you failed the subject, even if you passed it the year before.

If you decided not to repeat maths you would have been grand, but now im afraid you do have to pass it.

As i said, thats the way it was explained to me and the "most recent result counts" bit makes sense, to me anyway. The quote above doesnt seem to answer what happens if you repeat a subject, just if you repeat the LC.

Im open to correction, but i dont think im wrong!

On a brighter note, I thought that my repeat LC was going to be worse than my original, and i did much much better, so i very much doubt you have anything to worry about! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

From the way the quote's worded it seems to me like it doesn't matter whether you fail on a repeat. If that were the case I would imagine they'd state it fairly clearly.

The quote above does address whether you repeat a subject, it makes a statement about combining grades from different Leaving Certs for matriculation. I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mZy

Not at all! You can't use the result from the first time for the purposes of points, so if you fail this time round but have like, an A1 from last year, you can't take those 100 points and add it in to what you got this year. Points from last year cannot be added in, in any way.

You definitely can use results from last year for the purposes of matriculation!

From Qualifax:

soo let me get this straight
    im repeatin aswell nd i passed irish last yr buh if i were to fail this year i could use last yrs result just to get in nd not for points??

thanks in advance

mZy wrote: »
    soo let me get this straight
    im repeatin aswell nd i passed irish last yr buh if i were to fail this year i could use last yrs result just to get in nd not for points??

thanks in advance
    I'm almost certain that's the way it is, however you should probably talk to your career's teacher or someone just to make sure. I've never actually repeated, so I've never had to figure it out for definite, but I am nearly sure that's how it works :)

Advertisement