Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help.

• 05-06-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Digital photography has spoiled me; I just got a couple of film camera's which my Dad dug out of the loft for me today, but I have no film and no idea where to start in choosing suitable ones. I went to 7dayshop.com and they have so many fecking choices I gave up. So any suggestions for some nice contrasty B&W film and some colour film, from people that use it regularly would be great.... please, thank you :)

edit: cameras are canon eos 500 and a pentax ME.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

For black & white I tend to use Kodak T-Max 400, but I can't say I've tried many alternatives. For colour I'm using Kodak Portra VC lately. If you fancy a look, I've a load of stuff on my flickr taken on my Pentax K1000 (which was given to me by my father too!) with Portra VC, which might be helpful to ya.

Hope you get lots of use out of your new cameras! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

+1 on T Max, it's a good film. It's C41 processing which is the same processing as colour film, so it can be done in the local chemist or minilab. It's not a "pure" B&W film because of that, but I've always been happy using it. Ilford do a similar film, but can't remember the name offhand. (Ilford also used to do a box with an envelope in it which includes payment for processing - take shots, put in envelope, get some prints back happy days very convenient)

"Real," i.e. not c41 black and white is a little more expensive to get developed.

Colour film wise, I like the Fuji superia personally. Portra's good for portraits, funnily. Slide film can be nice too.

7dayshops a good place to source a selection of film in one easy hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Prenderb wrote: »
    +1 on T Max, it's a good film. It's C41 processing which is the same processing as colour film, so it can be done in the local chemist or minilab.

There actually two different types of TMax, there's an older CN version which is designed for C-41, but the more common modern version is just a straight B&W film, it'll come out blank if you put it through a minilab.

I shoot Tri-x in B&W. fine traditional B&W film. very versatile, depending on the developer and conditions you can shoot it at anything between 200 and 3200.

Colour I shoot kodak Portra and Ektar in negative and the occasional roll of fuji slide. I used to shoot a lot of Provia and Astia, but slide dev is so expensive nowadays that Kodak Ektar has replaced a lot of my slide shooting ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

There actually two different types of TMax, there's an older CN version which is designed for C-41, but the more common modern version is just a straight B&W film, it'll come out blank if you put it through a minilab.

Thanks for the headsup - OP make sure if you're buying it that you get whichever one you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Prenderb wrote: »
    OP make sure if you're buying it that you get whichever one you want!

Thanks to you all for the help. At the moment I am using Ilford FP4 plus 125 B/W in the pentax. 11 years out of date. And a colour film which is I think about as out of date.... if not more. It's kodak gold 200 and it's in the canon. I think I will try a few of the ones suggested and see how I get on. I am pretty excited. I am so used to reeling off 50 shots and only keeping a few. Now I went out before and took only 2... I am hoping it improves my photography because I will be more concerned about the money with processing.

N.B. I am just stunned by the view finder in the pentax; Amazzzzzing!!!! Digital SLR viewfinders suck!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement