Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would Ireland declare a conflict with Israel?

• 05-06-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi everyone.
    was just looking over on AH and say the thread about the Rachel Corrie on a collision with the Israeli Navy. and my question is as in the title. If the IDF attacked the Rachel Corrie that has a large number of Irish crew members, would Ireland declare it was in a conflict with Israel?
    Brian Cowan did comment there would be severe reprocussions for Israel if they did.
    opinions pls :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Short answer - no. And, fortunately, your question is moot as she was boarded without incident this morning.

Slightly longer answer - we could only voice our disapproval or stop importing their goods. Militarily we could do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Well the ship has been boarded without incident so it doesn't really matter now. But if anything had of happened I really couldn't see our goverment doing anything significant about it, I mean what could we do realisticly? Stop trade with them? Like they actually care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

why did I immediately think of this film?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053084/plotsummary

Solve all our problems in one go!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

No offence OP but this is a stupid thread really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

Now the whole world wishes if they had a hizbollah brigade. Woop woop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Eh, your kidding right? We have nothing compared to the forces at there disposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

we could stop buying israeli made ammunition!!!!!

we could stop buying israeli made ammunition!!!!!
    Have we started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Have we started?
    well on a crate of 7.62mm ammo it said made in israel!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ddef wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    was just looking over on AH and say the thread about the Rachel Corrie on a collision with the Israeli Navy. and my question is as in the title. If the IDF attacked the Rachel Corrie that has a large number of Irish crew members, would Ireland declare it was in a conflict with Israel?
    Brian Cowan did comment there would be severe reprocussions for Israel if they did.
    opinions pls :)

Short answer, no.

When they were knocking lumps out of us in Lebanon the best we could do was make diplomatic representations to their government and condemn their (IDF) actions.

• Advertisement

well on a crate of 7.62mm ammo it said made in israel!!!!!!

Wow, how long were you in the Army? was all the hardware from Israel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Avgas

Irish army helmets are also Israeli made AFAIK...and the ones before that..from the 1980s were as well. Other stuff is also Israeli-electro optical devices on new RG32Ms and Orbiters....etc.

Army procurement types tend to want what is best and cheapest..and worry much less about political correctness..........Israelis would tick all the boxes there...especially politically incorrect box!..... (although note someone posted here French bought ammo and quality was poor (apparently)).

I would prefer if we sourced most, like 99.9%, of our kit through a mixture of EU and our own industry, but that is just my political bias.

And if you want to declare war against Israel...that's fine in my book.... but let's also take in Zimbabwe, Burma, oh and ......North Korea...... and maybe Belarus...I've never liked them much.

Bring it on.
    We've got old FNs.
    We've got Twink.
    We've got more debt than you say NAMA to.

Yeah.
    Bring it on.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

No of course not. Silly question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elzer

Why are you all thinking we should involve ourselves with a incident over people who are supporting a conflict which doesn't involve us. A few Irish people on that boat doesn't mean i approve of that fight...... So heres one for you, do you know your history????? Look up the 10 day war between Israel and Egypt.........they also have nuclear capability because they fully intend never to be an oppressed nation ever again, and although our Irish Army are one of the best trained in the world, we are not equipped to deal with the forces of Israel. To enter into conflict with those boys we'd be fully reliant on Britain and Europe, hence thats why we are supposed to be a neutral country........ Thats an incident i feel we should keep well out of......as it is we're loosing our reputation around the world as we're integrated into the European system, and our passport is fast becoming the last shred of identity we have left.......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

All these anti-Israeli threads are becoming really tedious. There's a forum for you lads over on Stormfront. They all hate the Jews over there.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Eh, your kidding right? We have nothing compared to the forces at there disposal.

Sure twasn it the same with the british?

But realistically no, Cowen and their boyo would slug it out in the ring at a neutral venue: The Colisseum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Elzer wrote: »
    Look up the 10 day war between Israel and Egypt

Dont you mean the Six Day War..... the Egyptians( and the Syrians, Jordanians, and elements of Iraq's forces) at least now are happy it was over swifltly. Talk about having your ass handed to you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Absolutley not. Ireland couldn't possibly benefit from a conflict and wouldn't win. Even looking at Israel's Air Force; Eagles, Falcons, Apaches, Cobras etc. - they'd pick us apart for sh!ts and giggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Absolutley not. Ireland couldn't possibly benefit from a conflict and wouldn't win. Even looking at Israel's Air Force; Eagles, Falcons, Apaches, Cobras etc. - they'd pick us apart for sh!ts and giggles.

Once they enter European airspace they're ****ed.

Hypothetically thinking such a thing happened...i wonder who the yanks would support?

• Advertisement

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Hypothetically thinking such a thing happened...i wonder who the yanks would support?

Israel.

Right we'll forget that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

cypharius wrote: »
    Once they enter European airspace they're ****ed.

Just being hypothetical.

Just being hypothetical.

Hypothetical Ireland VS Israel all out war thread in order methinks, before we ruin this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the vessel was Irish flagged there may be a need to follow it up, what worries me is the quietness from Cambodia where the vessel is registered, not a word at all from them about an act of piracy on one of their fleet in international waters, do they have a navy?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

That's gas, last time I looked, we were a neutral country.

If the vessel was Irish flagged there may be a need to follow it up, what worries me is the quietness from Cambodia where the vessel is registered, not a word at all from them about an act of piracy on one of their fleet in international waters, do they have a navy?

The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, Article 101, defines piracy. This was not an act of piracy.
    bush Baby wrote: »
    That's gas, last time I looked, we were a neutral country.

Look again, we're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Then they will know real pain and desperation.

Israel & Ireland - swap governments and senior bank officials for a few years?

Should we punish them properly and bring them to their knees with a FF govt and a version of Anglo Irish?

We could really fcuk them up financially, we have the know how.

I say ready our war canoes and lets get padding towards them tonight. Whos wit me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

concussion wrote: »
    The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, Article 101, defines piracy. This was not an act of piracy.
    Maritime piracy, according to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) of 1982, consists of any criminal acts of violence, detention, rape, or depredation committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or aircraft that is directed on the high seas against another ship, aircraft, or against persons or property on board a ship or aircraft. Piracy can also be committed against a ship, aircraft, persons, or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any state, in fact piracy has been the first example of universal jurisdiction. Nevertheless today the international community is facing many problems in bringing pirates to justice.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy

• Advertisement

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    Dont you mean the Six Day War..... the Egyptians( and the Syrians, Jordanians, and elements of Iraq's forces) at least now are happy it was over swifltly. Talk about having your ass handed to you :D
    you're right i stand corrected.......it was 6 days and they israelis did kick ass......thanks for the comment....

Atlantic Dawn - the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea beats Wikipedia every time.

http://www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/convention_overview_convention.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

FunnyStuff wrote: »

Israel had US spy satellites telling them where Arab armoured divisions were located, they were then destroyed from above. This was the biggest factor in their victory. The Arabs never had that advantage,

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

The detention wasn't carried for private ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

All these anti-Israeli threads are becoming really tedious. There's a forum for you lads over on Stormfront. They all hate the Jews over there.:D

There's a difference between disliking the Israeli government and disliking Jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jjd

Israel had US spy satellites telling them where Arab armoured divisions were located, they were then destroyed from above. This was the biggest factor in their victory. The Arabs never had that advantage,

they also had C-141 Starlifter & C-5 Galaxy planes picking up the tanks and flying them to the other battelfields
    as well as american Tow (tetherd on wire ) anti tank missiles fired from american helicopters
    israel did not win the war the americans did it for them

we could win a war with israel
    we have the ultimate weapon we could cripple their economy and render generations usless hit them with Anglo irish bank it fecked us up good n proper

Boycott
    Dont buy Telrad phone systems or ITS doorboxes or coca cola

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

Can you hear it whispering Oh Oh he's hiding underground Damn run away it a hizbollah commandooooooo ahhhh run run shlomi run forest run.

jjd wrote: »
    we have the ultimate weapon we could cripple their economy and render generations usless hit them with Anglo irish bank it fecked us up good n proper

Boycott
    Dont buy Telrad phone systems or ITS doorboxes or coca cola

As long as Israel has its sugar daddy (the US), there's no chance that a boycott will do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

As long as Israel has its sugar daddy (the US), there's no chance that a boycott will do anything.

Send Maggy Thatcher to sort em out!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

they also had C-141 Starlifter & C-5 Galaxy planes picking up the tanks and flying them to the other battelfields
    as well as american Tow (tetherd on wire ) anti tank missiles fired from american helicopters

Thats absolute complete and utter bull****. You should really read up on your history before putting stupid one sided posts like that. Perhaps for a start you should read up on the history of the Israeli 7th Armored Brigade to see what was really instrumental in winning the war for Israel.

TOW -> Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire-guided

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

That happened during the Yom Kippur War, fought in 1973, not the 1967 Six Day War. The Americans provided replacement equipment & reconnaissance information, they did not provide tactical airlift to the best of my knowledge.

The Soviets & other Islamic countries provided considerable support to Egypt and Syria during the war.

There's a difference between disliking the Israeli government and disliking Jews.

What differance?????? They are Jewish Too........ Dont you think they had enough with Hitler slaying and destroying what they owned in the forties??? Your missing the point the reason why that convoy of ships was stopped was to end and minimise terrorist activities, and before you start the first ship definately had an agenda to start trouble........ Trouble Ireland cant afford to get involved in and further more the ship owner should be fined or something for involving us in a conflict..........:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Trouble Ireland cant afford to get involved

What exactly do you mean by "involved"?

What differance?????? They are Jewish Too........
    Group A = Jews
    Group B = Israeli Government

All of Group B are members of Group A. That doesn't mean I have to tar Group A with Group B's brush. That's like saying some Catholic priests are paedophiles, therefore all Catholics are paedophiles.
    Dont you think they had enough with Hitler slaying and destroying what they owned in the forties???
    Which has nothing to do with Israel taking over more areas around them...
    Your missing the point the reason why that convoy of ships was stopped was to end and minimise terrorist activities, and before you start the first ship definately had an agenda to start trouble........
    I didn't say anything about that...I was replying to the post that said if you don't like Israel you don't like Jews...they are two completely different groups. The fact that Israel boarded a foreign flagged ship in International waters is irrelevant to my post.

cushtac wrote: »
    That happened during the Yom Kippur War, fought in 1973, not the 1967 Six Day War. The Americans provided replacement equipment & reconnaissance information, they did not provide tactical airlift to the best of my knowledge.

The Soviets & other Islamic countries provided considerable support to Egypt and Syria during the war.

your right wrong date
    but they did provide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Nickel_Grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Why don't we least the nations ireland could beat. Then see where Israel appears on that list.

And by beat I mean transport a force capable of doing so at a mid-piont.

In this case I am thinking the Island of Malta

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re; Isle of Malta, historically they withstood a siege from the Ottoman Empire in 1565(?), so we might need to lower our sights - Jersey perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Manach wrote: »
    Re; Isle of Malta, historically they withstood a siege from the Ottoman Empire in 1565(?), so we might need to lower our sights - Jersey perhaps?

And more recently the Nazis , however I am assuming the local populace will allow us to use their land to engage with the IDF.

However heres a question if they did not ,could we whip malta ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_Malta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

your right wrong date
    but they did provide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Nickel_Grass

That's not tactical airlift, that's a delivery of supplies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement