Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else's sleep being affected?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

So I usually go to bed quite late when I don't have school the following morning... usually like 2:30 to 3am. I've been trying to get back to normal wake-up times (about 8am) for about a week, which means early nights, and it was kinda working, until last night.

I wasn't panicking or anything, in fact I'm really too relaxed about the whole thing. I just could not shut my brain up. I lay in bed wide awake till about 6am.
    When I finally fell asleep, I had a nightmare that I had walked into the English paper 1 exam, and I wrote out all my stuff and about 5 minutes before the end I realized it was actually my biology exam and I had f*cked it completely by writing out answers for an English test :rolleyes:

I then woke up, 9am. Fell back asleep after about an hour, another nightmare, this time I was finishing up my business paper (I had aced it) and then the examiner came and took my paper, but as he was walking away he dropped it and didn't notice. For whatever reason I couldn't get his attention and he basically buggered off without my paper. Woke up again at noon.

tl;dr I'm not really panicked or anything but I can't sleep well (got maybe 5 hours last night) and had 2 weird nightmares about the exams last night :pac:

Anyone else having trouble sleeping/getting nightmares etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Completely the same! I lie in bed for hours thinking up different scenarios for my history exam going terribly wrong or getting like 30th percentile on the HPAT. Also had a nightmare where "theme and issue" came up for the comparative. It's all very traumatising...
    But the fact that you're sitting at your desk all day doesn't help. Although you think you're tired, because your brain is very tired, your body isn't tired at all because it hasn't been moved all day. Then you can't sleep. Try going for a long walk during the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Yeah and it even gets worse after you have finished the exams! Well for me last year anyways. I'm repeating this year and I am finding it hard to sleep this time around aswell I keep saying ****e like ''what if something something'' usually it's about King Lear. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

At least this shows that you are dedicated, try to watch a movie before bed to get your mind off it...

Dukes of Hazard on tonight but I heard its **** anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Yes.

Happens to me every single night :(
    Was in school all last night in my dreams and I couldn't understand half of the stuff. Woke up exhausted.

Night before that the story from Britain about the gunman in the town was constantly on tv and radio so I got that. That was so much worse though couldn't go back to sleep after that one.

Nothing worse than the mornings though and first thing you think of with seconds of getting up is 'lc next week', 'lc in 5 days' etc.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

had a dream where i was in English paper one and only got one comprehension done!!! i almost cried

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

in the dream or when you woke up? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

There's a few simple exercises you can use to improve sleep.

If you tense up all of your muscles in your body together for about ten seconds (from your head to your toes, and your neck to your fingers) then release them all and breathe gently it will help you drift into sleep.

If you are trying to suppress negative dreams (i.e. nightmares), there really isn't much helpful advice I can give you, other than using addictive drugs, prescription medication, coffee, etc. which will all destroy your sleep in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Victoria. wrote: »
    Nothing worse than the mornings though and first thing you think of with seconds of getting up is 'lc next week', 'lc in 5 days' etc.:eek:

I know! You wake up fresh as a bird, sunlight seeping through the curtains, a beautiful summers morning... And then you see your books and are like "ugh."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CosmicLove

Haha ah I know what you mean.

I've been good enough about sticking to school sleeping routine (11:30-7:30), only thing is I've kinda cheated a bit 'cause my mum bought me these herbal sleeping tablets 'cause before I wasn't getting to sleep 'til 4ish xD I don't let myself think about the exams though after I take 'em, or else they're not effective ('cause they're obviously not as powerful as that perscribed stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I was taking something like that too, but after a couple of night of using it I was waking up still tired and with a bit of a headache so I stopped. Might just use them the odd time but I'm not too sure about messing with sleeping pills during the leaving :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm sleeping like a baby :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CosmicLove

I was taking something like that too, but after a couple of night of using it I was waking up still tired and with a bit of a headache so I stopped. Might just use them the odd time but I'm not too sure about messing with sleeping pills during the leaving :pac:

Ah I was worried about that too, but I was talking to my doctor about it('Cause I got a really bad virus a couple of weeks ago as luck would have it xD) and she was saying it should be fine it 'cause usually she wouldn't reccommend anything like that for people our age - herbal or otherwise. But she was saying in the crunch time before the exams you NEED the sleep, so it's fine aslong as I stop after the exams, which I will of course =)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Happens sometime to me too.Getting to sleep is't really a problem but sometimes I keep waking up in the middle of the night.I also have dreams about english and stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I've spent the last 2 hours trying to go asleep.
    It dualy ended in a fail, I wonder if it includes though....I stayed really still:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm ok most of the time but i'd be lying in bed at eight/nine in the morning thinking that I should get up to study and then feeling guilty that I don't. I try not to think about the Leaving when i'm going to bed or I probably wouldn't sleep at all although there have been the odd dreams about getting a paper I can't answer at all, that's not going to happen though :cool:

Crow92 wrote: »
    I've spent the last 2 hours trying to go asleep.
    It dualy ended in a fail, I wonder if it includes though....I stayed really still:P
    You actually went to bed at 7?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Last night it took me two hours of fumbling, twisting and somersaulting around my bed to actually get to sleep. Then I kept waking up every half an hour to an hour. I don't get nightmares, though. I just very interesting dreams, though.

It's been more difficult to actually shut off as of recent, even though I'm completely relaxed about the Leaving Cert. Maybe I'm subconsciously freaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

theowen wrote: »
    You actually went to bed at 7?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was actually hoping to power nap till 11 then do 2 hours studying then back to bed for school tomorrow ( I know on a sunday lol there's 5 of us in the school on our lonesome)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I had a dream last night that the correctors house went on fire and all our scripts were burned! The night before I dreamed that our supervisor wouldn't hand out our papers unless we turned our tables upside down, jumped up and down and make frog noises!!! (it sounds weird but I've had more bizzare dreams than that!)

Crow92 wrote: »
    I was actually hoping to power nap till 11 then do 2 hours studying then back to bed for school tomorrow ( I know on a sunday lol there's 5 of us in the school on our lonesome)
    Ah!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement