Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love the smell of a brewery in my home

Options
  • 05-06-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently doing an all grain Blonde which if last years version is anything to go by, it will be a little like Blarney Blonde from the Franciscan Well and a brilliant summer beer.

This year I altered the recipe a little because of having different grains etc handy.

I love the smell of a full boil going. Strong malt, steam and hops... yum.

Oh and for those new to home brewing, an All grain brew is where you brew from scratch. The same way large commercial breweries brew.
    It takes between 6 to 8 hours on brewday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Sounds lovely. Did you use a kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I know you're talking about boiling, but a question: Is there a smell from the beer during fermentation? I was planning on keeping my fermenter (my first brew) in my bedroom. I wouldn't think so it the bin is sealed...?

Saruman I plan to graduate to your level someday [edit: Whoa! Just saw your blog, it take it back!].

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Sounds lovely. Did you use a kit?

No kit hence the description of all grain in the post ;)

PhiliousPhogg there is a certain smell because the yeast releases co2 gas through your airlock and this will usually have a certain smell. It is not usually unpleasant and often quite nice.
    That said, I did have one brew which the fermentation aroma was pretty much rotten eggs. Fantastic resulting beer though so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

[QUOTE=Saruman;66250071Oh and for those new to home brewing, an All grain brew is where you brew from scratch. The same way large commercial breweries brew.
    It takes between 6 to 8 hours on brewday.[/QUOTE]

I did an Abbott Ale recipe from the Dave Line book 'How To Brew Beers Like Those you Buy'
    It took me 14 hours.
    And a week to get all the sticky of the kitchen floor.

Having done several brews from tins, some good, some not, the result was truly amazing.

Its was better than the real thing. Six friends agreed after 4 pints of 1065/70
    Damned expensive in time and materials though.
    The keeping quality may be poor, but it didnt last long enough to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

14 hour brewday? You are some trooper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement