Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaccinations

• 05-06-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

My little girl is 10 weeks old and just had her 2 month vaccinations. She was fine with the BCG, but had quite a bad reaction to this last one. Had to bring her back to the doc for an extra visit or two. Fortunately she didn't need to go into hospital in the end, but she was completely miserable for a few days, and the doctor said that it wasn't normal.

Has anyone else had a child have a bad reaction? This was my first experience with the vaccinations and it has me very nervous about getting any more. I'm terrified she'll need hospital next time. Does anyone have any advice? I'm afraid of getting more vacinations, but im terrified of her not getting them and catching the diseases!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Yep Rose was in terrible form after her 2 month vaccination, she didn't cry on the way home she absolutely screamed. I was a wreck by the time I got home so horrible seeing them so little and so distressed.
    I was so glad I only live a 10 minute drive from the GP :(

I did read afterwards that apparently you can give your little one a dose of calpol just before the vaccination to numb them a little.
    Typical I didn't read this until after she had her last jab :rolleyes:
    I'd double check it with your GP first, I'm going to ask my PHN about it before I bring Rose in for her 4 month jab, already dreading it :(

I spoke to the nurse about the BCG asked would she be as upset after it, but she explained that the BCG is injected just under the skin so is just a skin prick, whereas the 6 in 1 vaccine is injected into the muscle which is why it is so sore.

Poor Isobel, hope she's ok now x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

hacked wrote: »
    ... the doctor said that it wasn't normal.
    I would certainly hope that if he said it wasn't normal, he wouldn't then be advising you to repeat the procedure!
    If he is, I'd get a second opinion if I were in your shoes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's not that having an adverse reaction isn't normal, it's that it's less likely than having no reaction or a bit of inflamation or irritability for 24 hours.

I was lucky, James took his 2 and 4 month jabs on his stride, a little hardness at the site and a bit grumpy though.

You can give calpol first but it may reduce the efficacy of the innoculation as it prevents temperatures and the body might not get to create the full amount of antibodies required to fight off the full disease.

That said I did give James a paracetemol supositary after his 8 week jabs. His temperature was just a bit too high for my liking.

From speaking to other mothers, the babies who suffered at 8 weeks seemed to find the 16 week ones no problem, that's only anecdotal though.

Advertisement