Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

• 05-06-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

I'm just watching the highlights of the Australia v USA game and all i can hear is those god damn Vuvuzela's. I honestly don't know would I be able to watch a 90 minute match with those god forsaken things going off the whole way through.

I mean I get how drums, brass and all that craic can really make the atmosphere of a game better, but I can't understand how they can possible think those things would add to things (oh and they are only doing it when the Americans have the ball)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You can always mute the TV ;).

I don't mind them tbh. I'll see how I feel when they are introduced at league of Ireland matches and I have some kid blowing one directly behind me. My opinion might change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's part of southafrican football culture. Better than stupid chants about how torress is a cross dresser or whatever other ****e british fans "sing about".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dont really mind, can always turn off sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's part of southafrican football culture. Better than stupid chants about how torress is a cross dresser or whatever other ****e british fans "sing about".

Ya it may well be (though from what I've read it's not exactly been around too long) but it explains why nobody watches football in SA or goes to the matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Not really :eek:

Songs are creative and meaningful for the most part, usually even entertaining, those things are just racket :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I didn't even know they were called that, to me they will always be those stupid f***ing horn things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

They do remind me to the european cup matches of the past against eastern german opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't care if it's part of their culture it's annoying as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Just thinking about it there, I dont care if they blow them things as long as they fill the stadiums up to the max....

Can't stand massive empty seats at World Cups and I have a feeling we will see lots in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm bringing home a bag of vuvuzelas from there. Off on Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Tom10 wrote: »
    Ya it may well be (though from what I've read it's not exactly been around too long) but it explains why nobody watches football in SA or goes to the matches.

Thank you. I've always wondered why the SA league wasn't huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I think the tv companies will reduce the noise from around the pitch for this WC so that people don't turn off.

Having brought a few home for relatives in the last year.. you do get used to them after a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm just watching the highlights of the Australia v USA game and all i can hear is those god damn Vuvuzela's. I honestly don't know would I be able to watch a 90 minute match with those god forsaken things going off the whole way through.

I mean I get how drums, brass and all that craic can really make the atmosphere of a game better, but I can't understand how they can possible think those things would add to things (oh and they are only doing it when the Americans have the ball)
    Helpful tip 101. Before you start a thread about something you should type in a word thats important and see if there are any threads about it already.

For example, you click search this forum at the top of the page, type in Vuvuzela and this thread pops up.
    Watching the World Cup without the sound

eagle eye wrote: »
    Helpful tip 101. Before you start a thread about something you should type in a word thats important and see if there are any threads about it already.

For example, you click search this forum at the top of the page, type in Vuvuzela and this thread pops up.
    Watching the World Cup without the sound

In fairness there are probably going to be a lot more of these type threads over the next month...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No.

The Nedbank Cup games have good crowds. Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or the green and white hooped (:cool:) Bloemfontein Celtic...lots and lots of fans..

People who generally can afford to go regularly prefer other sports than football. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

LOL - "There is a smaller variety which sounds like a duck on speed or the wailing of a terribly ill child

Actually does anybody know where to buy them in Dublin?

Would go down a treat in the Woolshed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Neil3030 wrote: »

LOL - "There is a smaller variety which sounds like a duck on speed or the wailing of a terribly ill child

Ah ha ha ha ha. Brilliant. They sound ****ing awful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

If the world cup is shown on Setanta you'd never hear anything in the stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Very very annoying. It would turn me off watching some games i might have watched otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bastardin things had my head wrecked during the confederations cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I really don't understand how anybody can say that they don't mind this sound...90mins+ per game...Maybe you need your head testing?

We will be hearing a lot more of these horns over the coming weeks without a shadow of a doubt!!!

Absolute ear torture....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCbP-iZb0D8

(south Africa vs Brazil Confederations cup pre-match)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I'm used to them now. They're still a bloody racket. If the television channels lower the mics pitchside then it might be a bit more bearable for the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Am I alone in liking them???

Part of the World Cup's attraction is the carnival atmosphere. Noise and colour are all part of the pagentry.

Embrace the vuvuzela!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Won't have the volume up on my phone to hear them ... Would only alert the boss that I'm watching the World Cup whilst trying to look Oh so busy at my desk :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If I can get used to watching eejits dressed in leprechaun beards and waving plastic hammers at football matches, then I'm sure I can get used to hearing these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I didn't even notice them during the Confederations Cup. Then I found out how annoyed everyone was by them, and now they're all I can hear during coverage :mad:

• Advertisement

wynters wrote: »

]Embrace the vuvuzela!

Vuvuzela ... Is that not an area of the female genitals ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Can't recall who it was exactly but saw an interview on tv a couple of weeks ago with one of the organisers and they were asked if they would be banned and they replied No, but they did say they would ban anything that was being thrown onto the pitch. Seemed like they wanted to keep it as an option if the complaints were to loud from tv companies round the world so hopefully someone throws a couple onto the pitch early on and that'll be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Vuvu.....Vuvuze....ah what ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

No. :mad:

I'll probably turn the sound off by the third game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They amuse me because they annoy everyone else. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

They're f*cking annoying alright. Hopefully there will be an option of filtering out that noise somehow.

Don't see any of the comparisons made at all. English chants can be pretty funny and they have beginnings and endings. As for what people are wearing, that doesn't offend my very being as much as that f*cking drone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Music to my ears :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

These things wreck my head and will slightly spoil the tournament for me. The Confederations Cup last year was awful, i just couldn't enjoy the games fully.

They're the one thing that takes away from my excitement at the thought of the World Cup. They should be banned!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Hey, wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

i don't mind the sound of one of them, it's when thousands are going at once that annoys me.

Quick Sky Sports News doing an item on them this hour .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

World cup horn risks deafness. Spain midfielder xabi Alonso has called for them to be banned.......

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_536749.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think they'll annoy for the first couple of days until they just become background noise you can ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ya get use to them in end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Don't mind them. Kinda part of the southern hemisphere match atmosphere I think. But then again horns have been present in Bundesliga stadiums as long as I can remember attending football games. Not the ever present vuvuzela thing but the high-tech version of it. :Dhttp://cgi.ebay.de/WM-DRUCKLUFTFANFARE-TR-TE-EU-NORM-KEINE-BILLIGWARE-/190402565420

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Boskowski wrote: »

People that bring those to any game (regardless of sport) deserve to be hung. The amount of arseholes that brought them onto terraces at GAA matches was crazy. They then proceed to deafen you and proclaim it is all for a bit of craic. *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not to worry: I'm sure kowtowing to the sensitivities of a TV audience is foremost in the minds of the people supporting their country at games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They have been blown constantly for the first 5 minutes of the England game on sky sports news. This place where the game is at must only have 10,000 max fans in it too :(.

It is annoying I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

a quick glance at the title thread and i thought it said Venezuela, as in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in south America.
    I was expecting to read racist/anti racist remarks, the odd "they are not in the WC" reply etc. Instead i read replys about horns and got very confused altogether.
    I then realised the errors of my ways.
    oopsey daisy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

stovelid wrote: »
    Not to worry: I'm sure kowtowing to the sensitivities of a TV audience is foremost in the minds of the people supporting their country at games.

Well considering Fifa make €3bn off tv rights for the World Cup alone I think those bee flutes should be banned.
    They are excruciatingly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    They have been blown constantly for the first 5 minutes of the England game on sky sports news. This place where the game is at must only have 10,000 max fans in it too :(.

It is annoying I suppose.

who got the first?

• Advertisement
Advertisement