Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It'll just take a few people to sue FIFA for hearing damage from having a 130db vuvuzela blown 1 foot from their ears for a 90 minute match to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

No doubt there'll be a few jokers in the crowds with them over the premier league's opening weekend!

I can imagine them lasting about 5 mins at a premiership game before getting a ginsters pie or a size 9 DM boot to the forehead!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

spockety wrote: »
    It'll just take a few people to sue FIFA for hearing damage from having a 130db vuvuzela blown 1 foot from their ears for a 90 minute match to get it sorted.

Do you actually think that anyone would win a case against FIFA over vuvuzelas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dempsey wrote: »
    Do you actually think that anyone would win a case against FIFA over vuvuzelas?
    Yes. They have a duty of care towards attendees of matches. They have arguably failed in that duty if you are deafened by one of these horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

All it will take to ban these is for someone to chuck one at a player. Now all we need is a willing sacrifice from a fan!

I couldn't watch the confederations cup because of these bloody things. I'm actually finding myself switching channels for the World Cup. Unless there is a spectacular game on I just can't be bothered putting up with the nausea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Take away the vuvuzelas, and there'll be no atmosphere.

You consider a constant drone an atmosphere?

Haddockman wrote: »
    Yes. They have a duty of care towards attendees of matches. They have arguably failed in that duty if you are deafened by one of these horns.

Not a chance

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/termsandconditions.html
    7.1 TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE TICKET HOLDER (IN HIS OWN NAME AND ON BEHALF OF ANY MINORS USING A TICKET BOUGHT BY HIM) ACCEPTS ALL RISKS AND DANGERS WHICH THE TICKET HOLDER MAY FACE OR ENDURE WHILE ATTENDING ANY MATCH AND WAIVES ANY CLAIMS AGAINST THE FIFA WORLD CUP™ AUTHORITIES RELATING TO SUCH RISKS AND DANGERS. THE TICKET HOLDER (IN HIS OWN NAME AND ON BEHALF OF ANY MINORS USING A TICKET BOUGHT BY HIM) ACCEPTS THAT THERE ARE RISKS TO HIS PERSONAL SAFETY OR PROPERTY LOSS ON THE WAY TO OR FROM AND OUTSIDE OF OR WITHIN THE STADIUM. NOTHING IN THIS PARAGRAPH IS INTENDED TO REQUIRE A TICKET HOLDER TO ACCEPT RISKS OR DANGERS FROM, OR WAIVE RIGHTS TO DAMAGES ARISING FROM, THE GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILFUL MISCONDUCT OF A FIFA WORLD CUP™ AUTHORITY.

Basically that means if you think its going to be loud, you are responsible for protecting your own hearing, not FIFA or anyone else.

You actually thought that FIFA wouldn't have themselves legally covered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Not a chance

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/termsandconditions.html

Basically that means if you think its going to be loud, you are responsible for protecting your own hearing, not FIFA or anyone else.

You actually thought that FIFA wouldn't have themselves legally covered?

Did you miss the bits about "TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW" and "NOTHING IN THIS PARAGRAPH IS INTENDED TO REQUIRE A TICKET HOLDER TO ACCEPT RISKS OR DANGERS FROM, OR WAIVE RIGHTS TO DAMAGES ARISING FROM, THE GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILFUL MISCONDUCT OF A FIFA WORLD CUP™ AUTHORITY."?

A court ruling would need to decide if there was wilful misconduct on FIFA's behalf.

Such disclaimers are worthless in law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Haddockman wrote: »

You could choke on a burger or get hit by a football at a match. :D

Do you think FIFA are liable for that?

All it will take is for a bunch of yanks to launch a class action in the states against FIFA. I am sure there are no shortage of ambulance chasing lawyers willing to take on such a case. It could cost them dearly.

FIFA should read up on reasonable foreseeability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

stovelid wrote: »
    You could choke on a burger or get hit by a football at a match. :D

Do you think FIFA are liable for that?

no - but that is different. The purpose of a burger is not to choke you. The purpose of a football is not to hit you (and at a football match it is a reasonable risk that you could be hit).

The purpose of a vuvuzela is to make a lot of noise. They do so at a potentially dangerous level (especially when so many are in use in the same area) and if someone does suffer hearing damage as a result of them, FIFA, or the organisers of the World Cup in SA could be in trouble of it.

enda1 wrote: »
    Did you miss the bits about "TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW" and "NOTHING IN THIS PARAGRAPH IS INTENDED TO REQUIRE A TICKET HOLDER TO ACCEPT RISKS OR DANGERS FROM, OR WAIVE RIGHTS TO DAMAGES ARISING FROM, THE GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILFUL MISCONDUCT OF A FIFA WORLD CUP™ AUTHORITY."?

A court ruling would need to decide if there was wilful misconduct on FIFA's behalf.

I did of course but as I said, you wouldnt win a case against FIFA over vuvuzelas.

Over all the years they have been in use in South African football, how many people have conclusively proved that they have been deafened or have hearing damage by someone else using a vuvuzela at a match? ZERO so you have not a chance of catching FIFA on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You consider a constant drone an atmosphere?

More so than that created by a vuvuzela-less half empty stadium of disinterested locals, yes.

I did of course but as I said, you wouldnt win a case against FIFA over vuvuzelas.

Over all the years they have been in use in South African football, how many people have conclusively proved that they have been deafened or have hearing damage by someone else using a vuvuzela at a match? ZERO so you have not a chance of catching FIFA on it

Yes in South Africa, the country famed for its history of judicial equality and fairness. :rolleyes:

Through the English and American's in there and other powerful foreign nations and things could be different.

enda1 wrote: »
    Yes in South Africa, the country famed for its history of judicial equality and fairness. :rolleyes:

Through the English and American's in there and other powerful foreign nations and things could be different.

Your argument is full of ifs buts maybes and conspiracy theories. You really think that you have a strong argument?? I dont

Your argument is full of ifs buts maybes and conspiracy theories. You really think that you have a strong argument?? I dont

Sure of course I don't have a strong argument, I'm not deaf!;)

Some people (who were at the games) might have a strong argument though.

Seriously though, soccer in South Africa is a black people's sport, and like it or not, South Africa is still a long way from being the Mecca of racial inclusion that it strives to be.

I don't know the answer to this but, are those yokes used at rugby games in SA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I was just reading this from breaking news.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/blatter-comes-out-against-banning-vuvuzelas-461593.html
    FIFA president Sepp Blatter appears to be in favour of allowing the controversial vuvuzela to remain a part of the World Cup.

The noise from the trumpet-like plastic horn has been likened to the drone of a thousand bees, which has left many foreigners at the finals and television viewers annoyed.

Responding to the ongoing debate about their use inside stadia, Blatter posted a message of support on his Twitter page.

The post read: “To answer all your messages re the Vuvuzelas. I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound.

I don’t see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country. Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?”

I do not know what Blatter is drinking these day but plastic musical instruments are not Tradition musical instruments.

I had to Turn off the TV as the constant blaring of the plastic Vuvuzelas throughout the match just kept becoming unbearable to hear the commentator. It is one thing to have them blaring before and during the match when a team scores, but the constant blaring of the plastic Vuvuzelas and have the constant ring in my ear afterwards.
    If this continue I won't be watching any more matches including the final unless FIFA act. Knowing FIFA after the Henry fiasco, I doubt it very much that they will act.

I wonder can we sue FIFA for ear damage?
    I wonder will RTE just screen out the match audio and just have a commentator in Montrose speaking with reduced 10000% volume reduction coming from the stadium.

limklad wrote: »
    I was just reading this from breaking news.

I do not know what Blatter is drinking these day but plastic musical instruments are not Tradition musical instruments.

I had to Turn off the TV as the constant blaring of the plastic Vuvuzelas throughout the match just kept becoming unbearable to hear the commentator. It is one thing to have them blaring before and during the match when a team scores, but the constant blaring of the plastic Vuvuzelas and have the constant ring in my ear afterwards.
    If this continue I won't be watching any more matches including the final unless FIFA act. Knowing FIFA after the Henry fiasco, I doubt it very much that they will act.

I wonder can we sue FIFA for ear damage?
    I wonder will RTE just screen out the match audio and just have a commentator in Montrose speaking with reduced 10000% volume reduction coming from the stadium.

That guy's such a spa. Jesus, the shite he comes out with...

The Vuvuzelas are not exactly some ancient tradition. They only became popular in the 90's in South Africa.

And since when is one note, a B Flat, music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Would a significant drop in viewing figures force their hand?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Aidric wrote: »
    Would a significant drop in viewing figures force their hand?

Considering broadcasters have paid a combined 2.5 Billion dollars for the rights, yes, it certainly would.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Just in case this hasn't been posted yet...

http://www.98fm.com/news-sport/news/no-more-noise164943/

...and apologies if it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just in case this hasn't been posted yet...

http://www.98fm.com/news-sport/news/no-more-noise164943/

...and apologies if it has.

just saw that! he was a lecturer of mine in college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not April 1st
    As one bookmaker began taking bets on which Premier League club would be first to sell vuvuzelas in their team's colours, a spokesman said there was nothing in its rules that would stop supporters taking them into grounds.

A Premier League spokesman said: "Nothing in our rules specifically prohibits musical instruments from being brought into grounds as these matters are dealt with at a club level. It will be down to stadium managers, in consultation with supporters groups, to determine what is appropriate."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mike65 wrote: »

I doubt anyone who would bring one to a match would be able to get into the stadium in one piece, if they're lucky. If not, they'd have it firmly shoved up their hole within the first 5 minutes.

I can foresee vuvuzelas being rammed up the arses of users if they get intoduced in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

£2,000,000 in sales (must be over the whole tournament?) according to Jonathan Pearce on the BBC.

Ah yes, Sepp is of course a man known for his championing of indigenous culture. He would never want them around because they happen to be a source of income. I can guarantee you that if they were being handed out free they would have been banned by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Found on BBC at least on the non HD channel you can change the audio to 5 live and it turns down the sound a bit too

• Advertisement

Found on BBC at least on the non HD channel you can change the audio to 5 live and it turns down the sound a bit too

Good spot! Mick's commentary wasn't really proving that "insightful" either. He even lambasted Paraguay over taking too long over a free kick...before they scored from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

rEAil.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

It's become too much for me. The last few minutes of this game have been infuriating. No crowd noise what so ever. Just mindless idiotic noise. I can't imagine the people blowing them have even looked at the match (or have much interest in football) At the final whistle there wasn't even a rise in volume. It's just senseless, I didn't mind it at first, but it's really ruining the games for me at this stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Im so fúcking sick of the noise of these things, I literally have a pain in my head from them. Don't think I'll watch any matches tomorrow, I need a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Someone's been at the Wikipedia article again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vuvuzela&oldid=368031961
    :D:D:D

It's been changed since though.

Anyone with red button MUST switch to 5live feed, the levels and tone are much easier on the ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

mick mcarthy is just as annoying as those trumpets! he thinks they make a brilliant atmosphere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

nuxxx wrote: »
    rEAil.png
    To be fair, I haven't heard a single one being blown during the national anthems, they've been very respectful inthat regard

Also, nice copy & paste job from R&R ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    To be fair, I haven't heard a single one being blown during the national anthems, they've been very respectful inthat regard

AFAIK FIFA and the SA organiser asked that supporters respect anthems and stadium announcements by not using them in those situations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Yeah that's what I heard as well. And if the camera angle is right you can see "Quiet Please" on the screen in the stadiums just before the anthems start. Nice to see so many people respecting that.

Fair play to the USA fans, they were the first and only crowd thus far that I could hear chanting over the sound of the horns...

USA, USA, USA!!!

Just goes to show how loud the Americans are. :D

A Premier League spokesman said: "Nothing in our rules specifically prohibits musical instruments from being brought into grounds as these matters are dealt with at a club level.

Musical instruments?????????? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

Saw it on another forum :) Dont have access to R&R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

nuxxx wrote: »
    Saw it on another forum :) Dont have access to R&R

Go to page 28 on this thread, which other forum did you see it on?:p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The /b/ forum on 4chan has been changed to /b/ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ and plays the vuvuzela's in the background, expert trolling!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The /b/ forum on 4chan has been changed to /b/ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ and plays the vuvuzela's in the background, expert trolling!

NSFW

Quick word of warning - if anyone doesn't know what that is, never go there. Just in case you got tempted to check it up. It's not suitable for home, let alone for work. :o

RTEs lack of anti drone sound engineering, as compared to the BBC, was noted on Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I cant see what the vuvuzela adds to anything? Part of African culture or not.

Is the world cup just an excuse for a country to display its culture on a worldwide stage these days?

Surely common sense would take over and they'd be banned? I've only watched 2 games so far as I cant stand the noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Don't know if this has been posted before but it's funny.

Reminds me of the Kia Ora ad.

http://www.ihasaids.com/upload/data/1276610097.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

is it me getting used to them or have they got SLIGHTLY quiter since the start of the tournament?? maybe the south africans are even getting sick of them?

I think some of the broadcasters are taking counter measures to reduce their impact.

The official facebook group to ban them has gone from 4,000 to 80,000 to 200,000 supporters in a matter of days. People don't like them.

I now see the ball is getting stick (although altitude seems responsible for most of the over hit GKs, FKs and crosses), why can't they use the ball most of the top leagues have been using throughout the season in league and cup competition?

Oh, that's right, the answer to both ball and vuvuzela questions seems to be a need to put profit and corporate interest ahead of the football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement