Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The vuvuzela is a part of the African football culture, as much as drinking alcohol is over here and the UK.
    As much as I cant stand it, we just have to accept it.

The vuvuzela is a part of the African football culture, as much as drinking alcohol is over here and the UK.
    As much as I cant stand it, we just have to accept it.

as i stated similar earlier, i think the sound of a man slurping his pint IS NOT the same as the sound of a few thousand vuvuzelas blowing at once

as i stated similar earlier, i think the sound of a man slurping his pint IS NOT the same as the sound of a few thousand vuvuzelas blowing at once

No its not the same. I didnt say it was. But its part of the 'culture' of watching a game here.

Then again, Id nearly rather listen to a vuvuzela, then a pi55ed up 19 year throwing shapes around the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I know what Maradonna uses them for...

1276622414987.jpg

Then again, Id nearly rather listen to a vuvuzela, then a pi55ed up 19 year throwing shapes around the place!

also very true. the maradona pic is absolutely brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Boring Boring World Cup!
    What a huge yawn the tournament has been so far! A festival of football? No, more a tedious and pointless drone, like those hideous vuvezelas! Thus far, only the Germans have turned on the style and they were playing against such a poor Australian team that anything less than a 3-0 victory would have been embarrassing, especially after Cahill was sent off. Slovakia got their just deserts today, as did England at the weekend. If you sit on a single goal lead, you don't deserve to win!

Contrast this World Cup with the last Euros. There were goals galore in the Euros with teams intent on outscoring each other to win games. But at this World Cup, it has all been about stopping the opposition from playing, all about avoiding defeat. The vuvezela players have got exactly what they deserve: monotonous, tedious, boring football.

Why is this happening? Well there are too many rubbish teams taking part. It is frankly absurd that Australia and North Korea are here, whilst Russia and Croatia are at home. The World Cup should be about pitting the best nations against each other, not an ethnic balance. Let the lesser nations play for the right to take on Russia in a playoff final by all means, but don't let them sit at the top table by default, qualifying because they are the best of a weak bunch in their part of the world.

The vuvezela must also be playing a part. If the players can't hear the fans, how can they ride the wave of passionate support that normally drives teams on? The decision of FIFA not to ban the blasted things is pathetic. If this is South African "culture", then God help South Africa. The world is being given the impression that the average South African is little better than a cave man!

We have been embarrassed by our fans in the past - mindless Neanderthal thugs - but we have never "celebrated" them and revelled in their "cultural significance". Somebody should be brave enough to say that these things are a bloody nuisance and are making South Africans look primitive and stupid! Yes the World Cup is in South Africa but South Africa is not the World Cup. I want to hear the Brazilians, the Dutch, the Germans, the Ghanaians and yes, the English fans. The World Cup is about mixing cultures, not one "culture" drowning out everybody else. Of course, nobody is going to be brave enough to say this because this is Africa, and it is politically incorrect to criticise anything African.

At the moment FIFA and South Africa are getting what they deserve. The droning vuvezela World Cup is a huge turn off.

Totally agree with this. My feelings exactly.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Some FIFA bans:

South American player's nicknames (part of their culture, not money making though)

A South African Airline advertising themselves as "unofficial carrier of the you-know-what", violation of trademark laws, boo-hoo.

Iranian "hijab" for women (not money making I guess, but still cultural).

Shirtless goal celebration or "over enthusiastic celebration", part of my footballing cultural history, seeing players get emotional after scoring a goal.

I seem to remember there was talk of banning flags bearing advertising of local pubs, etc. at the 2002 world cup? Might not be totally correct though.

What about football hooliganism? It's also anti-social, makes for unpleasant viewing and has been very much apart of world football. Should this be allowed on cultural grounds?

Please, the culture argument is ridiculous, SA are hosting the WORLD cup. As much as we should respect their match traditions, the fans in the stadiums should show a bit of restraint and respect for the millions watching and cheering on their national teams. Why not blow the horns before the match, during goals, half time, etc. Why oh why must the rest of the world be subjected to 90 minutes of droning?

@newballsplease: said 19 year old would either pass out or be chucked out, I doubt he could do it for 90 minutes and I doubt he would gain the attention of millions of people worldwide unless he streaked across the pitch!

Just to make it clear.... Im not supporting the fecking things!! I hate the horns!

- That maradona pic is a potential post of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC says we have the technology

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5imEVGBfXRjRKpgV_6vZOpUL3Pi1g
    The BBC is considering whether to broadcast a "vuvuzela-free" version of its World Cup coverage following complaints about the noise from the plastic horn.

The Corporation is investigating several options, including stripping out most sound except commentary when showing the games on its red button digital service.

Complaints about the incessant buzzing noise doubled to 545 to the BBC by Tuesday morning.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "Using the red button service is only one of the options that we're considering. A decision will be made later in the week."

The broadcaster has already muted the feed which picks up crowd noise at the matches because of the horns but it has no plans to remove the sound of the vuvuzelas from matches broadcast on BBC1 and BBC2.

Supermarkets in Britain have reported a surge in sales of the instruments, in the run-up to Friday's game against Algeria, sparking fears by the horns' opponents that they could become popular at British grounds.

World Cup bosses have said the horns will not be banned in South Africa, saying they reflect "the sound of Africa" and South African organisers have said they are an important part of the atmosphere.

Their drone has sparked debate around the world, with broadcasters receiving complaints and the subject tackled on radio phone-ins, and some viewers watching the TV coverage with the sound turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Its the constant drone during the entire game that's annoying!

People say its part of African soccer culture but clearly it cant be as the people using them are constantly using them and therefore cannot be actually there for the game!

No one would have any problem with them if they were used as part of celebration of goals or whatever but a constant drone adds no atmosphere to a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

nearly a annoying and Boring as davids, southgate and viera on itv!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

draffodx wrote: »
    Its the constant drone during the entire game that's annoying!

People say its part of African soccer culture but clearly it cant be as the people using them are constantly using them and therefore cannot be actually there for the game!

No one would have any problem with them if they were used as part of celebration of goals or whatever but a constant drone adds no atmosphere to a game.

Maybe you should watch South African football before making an ignorant comment like that. All I keep reading in this thread is arrogance and intolerance to what is part and parcel in South African football.

I suppose I shouldnt be surprised because in our own country we rather see a motorway open ahead of schedule and under budget than protecting our own culture and heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

yuyuyuyu.gif

Dempsey wrote: »
    Maybe you should watch South African football before making an ignorant comment like that. All I keep reading in this thread is arrogance and intolerance to what is part and parcel in South African football.

I suppose I shouldnt be surprised because in our own country we rather see a motorway open ahead of schedule and under budget than protecting our own culture and heritage.

whats the connection with motorways and football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

If you want to bitch about the government and roads I'm sure there's a better forum than the football one.

And most people that hate the vuvuzela's complain about the noise they make, not that it's part of South African soccer culture. If it make a sound that didn't irritate and actually changed to match the on-field action nobody would be bitching. So please stop saying it's a cultural thing, it's not, it's a "this droning sound is annoying as sh1t" and the matches suck balls which doesn't help.

snaps wrote: »
    whats the connection with motorways and football?
    Tom10 wrote: »
    If you want to bitch about the government and roads I'm sure there's a better forum than the football one.

And most people that hate the vuvuzela's complain about the noise they make, not that it's part of South African soccer culture. If it make a sound that didn't irritate and actually changed to match the on-field action nobody would be bitching. So please stop saying it's a cultural thing, it's not, it's a "this droning sound is annoying as sh1t" and the matches suck balls which doesn't help.

You two need to re-read and try to understand my post. Maybe I'll rephrase it so you dont think that this is a political rant :rolleyes:

The vuvuzela and its noise is part and parcel of south african football and I shouldnt be surprised that a nation where motorways take priority over history and heritage complaining about what other countries consider important to their history and culture.

/penny drops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm just wondering does anyone else thing these things have a factor on the calibre of games in the world cup?

I know that sounds ridiculous but what makes football match great is when the crowd gets fired up and involved in the game. This has an effect on players whether its their fans trying to cheer them on or the opposition fans jeering but with these horns it absolutely take any atmosphere out of the game. The majority of these games so far have the atmosphere of a game being played behind closed doors but someone left a microphone in a beehive and its filtering sound into the stadium.

To me this world cup has showed me one thing. The importance of having a real atmosphere and not one you buy outside the ground for 5 quid.

If this post is ignorance to african football culture i frankly dont give a **** because in my opinion the world cup is more important than african football culture and these things are ruining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The vuvuzela and its noise is part and parcel of south african football and I shouldnt be surprised that a nation where motorways take priority over history and heritage complaining about what other countries consider important to their history and culture.

/penny drops
    Give it a rest.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Give it a rest.

No :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

mike65 wrote: »
    BBC says we have the technology
    We can rebuild him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Lovin my Vuvuzela ap on the iphone! Wouldnt be without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lovin my Vuvuzela ap on the iphone! Wouldnt be without it!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

You two need to re-read and try to understand my post. Maybe I'll rephrase it so you dont think that this is a political rant :rolleyes:

/penny drops

Nonsense, just nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tom10 wrote: »
    Nonsense, just nonsense

Go easy on him there.

Rebuttal is one thing; no need to so comprehensively own him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.asylum.com/2010/06/15/how-to-filter-those-annoying-vuvuzelas/

there ya go.

Dont mind it myself but hey theres always one.

Iang87 wrote: »
    i'm just wondering does anyone else thing these things have a factor on the calibre of games in the world cup?

I know that sounds ridiculous but what makes football match great is when the crowd gets fired up and involved in the game. This has an effect on players whether its their fans trying to cheer them on or the opposition fans jeering but with these horns it absolutely take any atmosphere out of the game. The majority of these games so far have the atmosphere of a game being played behind closed doors but someone left a microphone in a beehive and its filtering sound into the stadium.

To me this world cup has showed me one thing. The importance of having a real atmosphere and not one you buy outside the ground for 5 quid.

If this post is ignorance to african football culture i frankly dont give a **** because in my opinion the world cup is more important than african football culture and these things are ruining it.

Couldnt agree with you more, the football has been horrific, infact one of the worst world cups ive ever seen. The goal stats speak for themselves, already we are 33% down on goals scored. Even Brazil struggled last night. No atmosphere at games at all so far. No oohhs and ahhs, nothing just a constant drone of buzzing. These people blowing these yokes cant have any interest in the football.

Have you actually noticed more and more spectators now wearing earmuffs, headphones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Have you actually noticed more and more spectators now wearing earmuffs, headphones?
    Earplugs are selling like hot cakes. It's some joke that you travel all the way to South Africa to follow your side and then have to purchase ear plugs just to block out these horrific inventions.

Why would I do that when clearly even the people that go to the games dont even bother to watch the football! They just blow into a horn for 90 minutes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Aidric wrote:
    It's some joke that you travel all the way to South Africa to follow your side and then have to purchase ear plugs just to block out these horrific inventions.

It'd be more of a joke if the World Cup was being played in your own country and yet you weren't allowed to cheer and support your team like you do at any other game during the football season, because of the moans of some stuffy Europeans coming down for a visit.

• Advertisement

It'd be more of a joke if the World Cup was being played in your own country and yet you weren't allowed to cheer and support your team like you do at any other game during the football season, because of the moans of some stuffy Europeans coming down for a visit.

South Africa haven't played since last Friday, yet my ears still bleed when I try to watch a match :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone try the BBC red button no comm option? They have removed 80% of the noise along with the commentary which could be a win/win for many.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone try the BBC red button no comm option? They have removed 80% of the noise along with the commentary which could be a win/win for many.

I put my TV on mute and i can still here them. Suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Vuvuzelas should be brought in for the next St Pats-Derry City match, lighten up the atmosphere.

Have some lads with a couple of pints play the Vuvuzelas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Some :D

draffodx wrote: »
    Why would I do that when clearly even the people that go to the games dont even bother to watch the football! They just blow into a horn for 90 minutes :D

See the post below

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Aidric wrote: »
    Earplugs are selling like hot cakes. It's some joke that you travel all the way to South Africa to follow your side and then have to purchase ear plugs just to block out these horrific inventions.

I thought the vast majority of people in the ground were loving the atmosphere inside the grounds and it was just the tv that was incensing the masses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

2-0 to Uruguay, delighted, they can stick that in their vuvuzelas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

3-0 even better, you could actually hear the crowd when the third one went in !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

hopefully when they get knocked out they will stop using them so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

CoalBucket wrote: »
    3-0 even better, you could actually hear the crowd when the third one went in !
    Yeah they all just shut up straight away! lol.

26688_10150214557725173_629780172_13128747_6392240_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Karmic justice for inflicting those things on the rest of the world.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just in case between matches that you feel that you need a vuvuzela fix, you can browse with one now..

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.boards.ie/

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Dr Galen wrote: »
    . If your trying to link lower attendances to all the supporters having a horn

Oooh matron.

Cant keep an interest in any match at home tbh, it isnt as obvious in a crowded pub but its unwatchable at home.

There was no way i was watching the S African match last night. I actually listened to the Spain match on the radio and the sound was much easier on the ears!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Came across that link yesterday DFX, it's fantastic
    and to all that hate the vuvuzela, boo-urns

if you were there you'd all be blowing on them after a few jars.
    it's a complete over-reaction

why should something that the people there enjoy doing be banned just coz us lot cant hear the crowd singing,

get over yerselves, you could always hit mute and go here
    http://howd.ie/ca9f4e1

rabble rabble rabble

bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I hear these things all the time now, the other night just before nodding off - I swear I could hear them. walking down the street yesterday I even asked my mate "Can you hear them?" he said "no,but i get that sometimes". Weird...be hearing these things for months after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This could well be be the biggest WC thread on here by the end of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I don't understand the comments about these being part of South African football culture and therefore must be respected...??

Firstly they've only being around for at most 20 years - not so long to call them traditional or a cultural necessity.
    Secondly, even if something is part of a culture it does not necessarily deserve respect!
    Hooliganism has been part of the culture of English football for a lot longer than 20 years but does not deserve repect nor tolerance.
    Likewise in Italy racism and fascist comments have being part of particularly Lazio fans culture for a long time and also does not deserve tolerance nor respect.

Why do people think this noise deserves respect or tolerance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

There was no way i was watching the S African match last night. I actually listened to the Spain match on the radio and the sound was much easier on the ears!

It was worth watching for when they conceeded.

Peace and quiet ..... for all of 30 seconds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement