Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Can I buy a Vuvuzela in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

m9rLj.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Camelot wrote: »
    Can I buy a Vuvuzela in Dublin?

you can get them on eBay, I've one on the way

I dont know whats wrong with al the grumps, I think they're great

someone above said they're not part of saffer culture, and he's right they're only about 10 yrs od, I just think they're fun and if I was there I'd have one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

enda1 wrote: »
    I don't understand the comments about these being part of South African football culture and therefore must be respected...??

Firstly they've only being around for at most 20 years - not so long to call them traditional or a cultural necessity.
    Secondly, even if something is part of a culture it does not necessarily deserve respect!
    Hooliganism has been part of the culture of English football for a lot longer than 20 years but does not deserve repect nor tolerance.
    Likewise in Italy racism and fascist comments have being part of particularly Lazio fans culture for a long time and also does not deserve tolerance nor respect.

Why do people think this noise deserves respect or tolerance?

Vuvuzela the same as hooliganism and fascism?

maybe you should write for the Daily Mail :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

you dont have to 'respect' the footballing culture of another country. anyone with that notion in their head probably only has a vague idea of what respect actually is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

For fuck sake the vuzuzela is not culture.

Culture is about music, art, theatre, fashion etc, traditions that have passed through generations of people.

The vuzuzela is pure noise, a crappy fad that only started 10 years ago.

How about the South Africans and everyone else blowing the vuvuzelas respect the cultures of all the other countries? They have no respect for the fans of the other 31 countries, nor respect for the hundreds of millions of people following the World Cup on TV. By making this noisy racket they are depriving other fans in the stadium a chance to be heard and for their team to hear their support.

I can't believe the argument is being made that we are not being fair to their culture. It's not culture, it's noise, so it deserves no respect, so fuck off vuzuzela users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

enda1 wrote: »
    Firstly they've only being around for at most 20 years - not so long to call them traditional or a cultural necessity.

It is when you consider the country is only 16 years old..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

dfx- wrote: »
    It is when you consider the country is only 16 years old..

News to me, that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Borussia Dortmund have banned vuvuzela's from the Westfalenstadion.

I hope to god more teams do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Borussia Dortmund have banned vuvuzela's from the Westfalenstadion.

I hope to god more teams do this.

Darragh Moloney said this afternoon that they've been banned altogether in all stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That_Guy wrote: »
    Darragh Moloney said this afternoon that they've been banned altogether in all stadiums.

Don't know about that yet. The Guardian article posted a few hours ago says Dortmund are the first football club to officially outlaw them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

quit yer bellyaching

you're all getting 3 matches a day for nought and if you dont like the noise hit mute

yer all worse that a pack a auld ones

oh, i dont like the noise, boo-huu,
    well either turn off the sound or turn off the tele and watch the goals come in on internet updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Enjoy Boards as it should be - http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

quit yer bellyaching

you're all getting 3 matches a day for nought and if you dont like the noise hit mute

well either turn off the sound or turn off the tele and watch the goals come in on internet updates.

facepalm2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

WIZE wrote: »
    facepalm2.jpg

Can I facepalm your facepalm or does that cancel it out. Either way, boooooooo sir. BOOOOOOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

For fuck sake the vuzuzela is not culture.

Culture is about music, art, theatre, fashion etc, traditions that have passed through generations of people.

The vuzuzela is pure noise, a crappy fad that only started 10 years ago.

Its part of the football culture. Like Drinking Alcohol is here, for watching games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

2ce6630d80866e3db211de93425a1f46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

quit yer bellyaching

It's not just the annoying noise we're complaining about. As has been explained about a million times in this thread already, the noise is louder then all the singing, music, chanting, ooohs and ahhhhs of the crowd reacting to what's happening on the pitch - an atmosphere that makes the game even more exciting to watch. The teams respond to the crowds. The players and bench need to be able to hear each other to be able to communicate. The noise of the vuvuzelas cancels all this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

finally hearing a crowd at the france-mexico game. refreshing to say the least. bit of vuvuzela noise but the crowd is drowning them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Commentator on ITV just said "How nice to hear singing than blaring".

This has been the least destroyed game so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It is refreshing to actually hear singing. An atmosphere when the vuvuzela is not drowning ou the noise. I am shocked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

quit yer bellyaching

oh fukin derp de derr. just another that doesnt get it. watch this episode of south park and analyse the bikers in it and what they are doing. then compare it to south africa and the world cup being there.
    they are retarded and if you think otherwise - you are wrong. simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Proof if proof were needed - France v Mexico, best atmosphere at the World Cup so far - we can hear the crowds reactions.
    Brilliant stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yet another person who can't stand them...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

The noise is a lot less apparent on BBC than RTE I find, its wierd. I was flicking between them last night and it was really noticeable. BBC have obviously done something to minimise it, RTE need to follow suit. I like the noise of the crowd on BBC, but prefer the RTE commentators. Quite the pickle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd nearly forgotten what a crowd singsong/chant/ohhhhhhhhhhh/ahhhhhhhh sounded like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd nearly forgotten what a crowd singsong/chant/ohhhhhhhhhhh/ahhhhhhhh sounded like.

Could hear the Mexicans sing ole too as well as going ohhhhhhhhhhh/ahhhhhhhh, was great to be actually able to hear the crowd and have it add to the enjoyment of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://i.ppstatic.com/popup/worldcup/vuvu/

i keep going for their heads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Yesterdays Mexico v France game was great in that we could hear the crowd chanting..I thought this mixed with a few vuvuzelas was an excellent atmosphere.

Heres my theory on why we are starting to hear crowd noise; eg

Lets say you went out to SA 2 weeks ago or whatever to follow your team initially booking for 3 group games. The first thing a lot of people would have done was buy a vuvuzela for their first group game. Thats why we could hear nothing else the first round.

I reckon by the time your second game came around in your drunken state you would have either lost,broken, or thrown away the cheap plastic yoke. (That would be me anyway).

Your'e not gonna buy another because you know after the first few days plus phone calls home that this thing makes the most awful racket.

The only ones buying them then are the south Africans who are maybe gonna go to one match...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Please God may the vuvuzelas drown out the pukka pie sponsored English band tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

DCU lecturer finds way to 'silence' vuvuzela
    So you’ve started watching the World Cup in South Africa, you're enjoying the games, but the thing that's spoiling it for many are those vuvuzelas. Until FIFA gets around to banning them, there is another way of reducing the sound on your television. Dr Sean Marlow, lecturer in DCU's School of Engineering, tells us how.

Marlow Method A
    [for TV with a good sound equaliser]
    Step 1: enter the sound settings for your TV, find the equaliser.
    Step 2: drop the 233Hz [or closest] channel (which Samsung TVs have, second from left), and raise the adjacent levels.
    Step 3: save as a custom setup (if you can).
    Repeat for 466, 932 and 1864Hz

We gave it a try on a Samsung TV, and while it doesn't remove the vuvuzela noise completely, it does tone it down. It also takes some of the depth out of the commentary, as voices sound less rounded and full bodied, perhaps no bad thing.

The settings should work on most TVs where you can make changes to the sound levels in this way, but if they don't on your television you do have another option.

Marlow Method B:
    Play the sound through your PC sound card. Run the free program Audacity and set up notch [cancellation] filters at frequencies 233, 466, 932 and 1864Hz
    This could be done by broadcasters.

Gonna give it a go.

http://www.dcu.ie/news/2010/jun/s0610ls.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I just told my mum that some woman burst her windpipe blowing her Vuvuzela. Her expression was wonderful, as she didn't know that's what they were called. I dread to think what she was imagining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I find that if its a good enough match, I dont tend to notice the buzzing as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The stupid Sun newspaper is giving away vuvuzelas free today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

m9rLj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Haddockman wrote: »
    The stupid Sun newspaper is giving away vuvuzelas free today.

I would only expect someone who blows these things would have an adequate IQ for The Sun.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sounds like they are starting to make songs with them in the Spain game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I have yet to watch a full match in this world cup. The Vuvuzela's are putting me off. It takes from the Atmosphere from the crowd.It gone so bad I nearly watch replays of Pat Kenny old Late Late show interviews. RTE is bad enough with George Hamilition is off putting enough but at least is has two tones on and off, but those Vuvuzela's are just continuous loud tone.
    Which is the best channel to listen to?

I hope they do not come to Matches here or else I will be refusing to go to watch. I will probably walking out of the Stadium or wrapped the owners with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

limklad wrote: »

I hope they do not come to Matches here or else I will be refusing to go to watch. I will probably walking out of the Stadium or wrapped the owners with them.

Im bringing 3 to Sligo on the 26th, i think they are great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I shall inform the local hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Vuvuzela filter

for all your vuvuzela problems :)

eCXhM.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

And now I see youtube has gotten a vuvuzela button on their interface, only a week too late :D

Advertisement