Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Watching the England friendly right now, hate them already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Watching England game now....Jesus my head. Just hope the atmosphere is so good at some of the bigger knockout games that they drown the horns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Watching England game now....Jesus my head. Just hope the atmosphere is so good at some of the bigger knockout games that they drown the horns out.

huh? The horns are the atmosphere, they'll be even louder at the bigger games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

They make me want to turn football off. I can see myself turning off a lot of games that I'd normally watch because the sound of them is just so irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

JPA wrote: »
    huh? The horns are the atmosphere, they'll be even louder at the bigger games!

I mean the atmosphere created by fans of the teams who are playing, not the horn-blowing neutrals...or dont tell me ALL fans will be blowing these fukcing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I mean the atmosphere created by fans of the teams who are playing, not the horn-blowing neutrals...or dont tell me ALL fans will be blowing these fukcing things.

Well I'm going to Friday nights game and I fully intend to buy one and blow it. Now I might get sick of it and not bother with it for other games but I'll give it a try anyway. Should be funny with a cargo of beer on board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I have to say I think there pretty cool, will give the WC a great unique atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I can't watch any of the eastern europan teams play soccer in the champions league or even when the national teams are playing against ireland.. can't stand the fog horns at all.... there's something different about the vuvuzela though that I might be able to stick... it'll get to me I suppose before the end of the world cup but there better than fog horns

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

How is a monotone droning sound adding to the atmosphere. Give me chants, give me music, hell i'll even put up with delayed tv3 poxy commentators but that sound offers nothing to the spectacle other than pleasing the people that somehow manage to ignore it while they take pleasure from the fact that others can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Everybody that's blowing them seemingly are imune to the noise of the rest of them.

Prufrock wrote: »
    Vuvu.....Vuvuze....ah what ever.

I have no idea how to pronounce it either... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

It sounds worryingly like the brown noise :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That's really annoying alright, I think the vuvuzelas are worse though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I just started a Thread on these irritating horns not realising they are called Vuvuzela's. I'll never forget the racket they created at the Confederations Cup last year. Christ, it was unbearable. Sepp Blatter finds them perfectly acceptable, despite player complaints from the last years tournament. He would though now, wouldn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

the world cup has only been on 10 minutes and those horns are wrecking my head already. And there's a month of it to go=(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

RATM wrote: »
    the world cup has only been on 10 minutes and those horns are wrecking my head already. And there's a month of it to go=(

I'd agree with your post lots if your username was something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I think they're great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nothing wrong with them imo...

Liam O wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with them imo...

Clearly is if so many people are complaining about them. They should have banned them after the tournament last year. Bloody annoyance.

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote: »
    I think they're great.

me too :pac:

http://www.fitritesafety.com/images/312-1219.jpg

Clearly is if so many people are complaining about them. They should have banned them after the tournament last year. Bloody annoyance.

Some drunken lout shouting in my face at games is an annoyance too, yet they're hardly gonna ban alcohol at games are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Trevor Steven commented on how annoying they were in the Confederations Cup.

If I remember correctly I think he said he hoped they'd be banned for the World Cup.

Unfortunately they have not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Some drunken lout shouting in my face at games is an annoyance too, yet they're hardly gonna ban alcohol at games are they?

Thats just not the same thing, not even a little bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wouldn't mind them if they had a tune or something..

Foghorns. Foghorns would be deadly. Or trumpets :pac:

Sorry, but how is that the same? Can I hear the drunken lout while watching on tv? Can't he be thrown out of the stadium if he's that much of an annoyance? Hardly the same now is it.

Essien wrote: »
    Thats just not the same thing, not even a little bit

Why because you don't see that on TV? Like someone above said, sorry if them supporting their team hampers your TV coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

But drunken behavior is banned. Alcohol itself is not the problem. Vuvuzelas are the problem by themselves (ok, technically blowing them is the problem, but I'm ok with people just holding them)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't mind them myself, suprised such a big deal is made of them

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Sorry, but comparing it to some drunk bloke at a game is quality :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

My head is wrecked with them anyway!!

Will it be this bad for every game or is it worse today because its South Africa playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    My head is wrecked with them anyway!!

Will it be this bad for every game or is it worse today because its South Africa playing?
    Surely it wont be as bad, smaller stadia generally and less south africans present

Sorry, but comparing it to some drunk bloke at a game is quality :D

Yeah sorry if I was thinking of the people who actually go to the games>the TV audience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I'm watching on mute, now. I couldn't stick it any longer. Lord knows how bad it'd get if South Africa actually scored....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah sorry if I was thinking of the people who actually go to the games>the TV audience...

Maybe think about those fans who go to games and don't want to hear the incessant drone.

ACTUALLY, revenue from TV rights and viewers far far out weights the ticket receipts.

Zing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Surely it wont be as bad, smaller stadia generally and less south africans present
    Hopefully. They're grating me big style.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    ACTUALLY, revenue from TV rights and viewers far far out weights the ticket receipts.

Zing!

ye so why not just play in front of an empty stadium :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I have to say, I'm not finding them as irritating as I thought I would. They drove me nuts during the Confederations Cup so maybe I built them up too much in my
    mind since then.

• Advertisement

ye so why not just play in front of an empty stadium :rolleyes:

Or ... they could just STFU with the fog horns.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Or ... they could just STFU with the fog horns.

Yeah or that. They really should ban shouting at games now too because that must be annoying for the person sitting in front of them who is just trying to enjoy the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Sweet jesus didn't think it would bother me but the noise from them is ridicilous !

Players ears must be ringing ... Way to OTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

christ south africa get a corner and the horns are gonna bloody mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Vuvuzela's are fine and there are a part of South African culture.

Don't see the problem really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really hate them. But I'm hopeful that this is the worst of it, and other games which will be focused more with national fans should make it much better. Awful decision to allow them imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Put the commentators a few mile down the road.

Osu wrote: »
    Vuvuzela's are fine and there are a part of South African culture.

Don't see the problem really.

Part of their culture? Been around for about 10 years :D

Yeah or that. They really should ban shouting at games now too because that must be annoying for the person sitting in front of them who is just trying to enjoy the game.

Wow, well done on missing the point by about a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

part of there culture? plastic horns! ya right! never saw them in france 98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Turn on the radio commentry sounds like they are trying to shouting over a massive swarm of bees , I'm all for athmosphere but this doesn't transfer good to TV and Radio :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement