Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Part of their culture? Been around for about 10 years :D

Culture isn't static. It evolves.

I'm sure it sounds class if you're in the ground. Listening to the commentary now. They're nuts. You do get used to them after a while and zone them out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Part of their culture? Been around for about 10 years :D

Christ on a bike.

They have been in South Africa for about 20 years. So yeah, that is part of their football culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah or that. They really should ban shouting at games now too because that must be annoying for the person sitting in front of them who is just trying to enjoy the game.

Well, the oohss and aahss of the crowd, the fluctuation of noise when there's action in front of the gaol, the boo's and whistles where there's a bad referring decision or bad tackle are all part of the game.

The constant drone of fog horns no matter what is happening on the pitch really just flatten the game. For example Mexico had multiple chances but the noise level just remained constant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Annoying as f*ck. Hope to god the other games wont be as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Haha, 20 years or whatever. Hardly a big difference :D And fwiw, I had originally put down twenty but changed it for dramatic effect! My point still stands though. Lolz @ their football culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Culture or not they are fooking annoying .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Or trumpets :pac:

Bring on the Trumpets!

Part of their Culture? Interesting angle.

We must be all racists for disliking them so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Why because you don't see that on TV? Like someone above said, sorry if them supporting their team hampers your TV coverage.

Thats the thing, they are not even used to support their team- they appear to be used as some kind of weird method of putting off the opposition- at least in this game they've been blown at their loudest when Mexico are on the ball or near the South African box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Those defending these things remind me of those parents with wild kids at restaurants who don't do anything about their kids acting like nutters.

'Excuse me, could you perhaps keep the noise down please. I'm trying to enjoy my meal.'

'Hey, my son is just enjoying himself.'

Load of arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

First half verdict - the things are an earsore.

Hope to god for the games were SA aint involved they wont be such a nuisance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

facebook and twitter have gone mental with people complaining on them.

Haha, 20 years or whatever. Hardly a big difference :D And fwiw, I had originally put down twenty but changed it for dramatic effect! My point still stands though. Lolz @ their football culture.

Don't really care what you think. It is part of their football culture now.

But yeah, cool for you.

And lol @ 10 years a difference. Seriously... :rolleyes:

Osu wrote: »
    Don't really care what you think. It is part of their football culture now.

But yeah, cool for you.

And lol @ 10 years a difference. Seriously... :rolleyes:

It's the World Cup. A world wide competition. You didn't see the French throw frogs onto the pitch in 98.

They are big racists for imposing their culture on us.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    It's the World Cup.

They are big racists for imposing their culture on us.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Those defending these things remind me of those parents with wild kids at restaurants who don't do anything about their kids acting like nutters.

'Excuse me, could you perhaps keep the noise down please. I'm trying to enjoy my meal.'

'Hey, my son is just enjoying himself.'

Load of arse.

yeah because people making noise at football games is the same as people being loud in a restaurant...

Sorry if them enjoying watching their team at the WC hampers your TV coverage but you are just going to have to put up with it.

What are you talking about?

The "part of their culture" argument so we therefore must like it and not dislike it is somewhat of a "race card" argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I don't mind them at all. They were terribly noisy during the Confederations Cup but not so bad now, probably have better sound engineers at the WC

and as already mentioned numerous times, you don't like it? Mute it

Lolz @ their football culture.

It's what goes on at their live games I guess.

I can see why that might seem hilarious to a load of couch and pub seat huggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Des wrote: »

Oh you and your horny talk :o

My point still stands though. Lolz @ their football culture.

Here are some articles to prove you haven't a clue what your talking about, as usual.

http://www.ethiopianreview.com/news/135790
    http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/news/newsid=1073689.html

It's clearly a part of South African football culture.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I don't mind them at all. They were terribly noisy during the Confederations Cup but not so bad now, probably have better sound engineers at the WC

and as already mentioned numerous times, you don't like it? Mute it

Yes the perfect solution. Mute the TV, brilliant. Sit and watch in silence, fantastic.

Should be these

478054.jpg

yeah because people making noise at football games is the same as people being loud in a restaurant...

Sorry if them enjoying watching their team at the WC hampers your TV coverage but you are just going to have to put up with it.

The similarity - and pay attention here because you can't seem to grasp this - is NOT EVERYONE ENJOYS THEM. In other words, it is ruining and spoiling the atmosphere for many.

In fact, as far as I am aware, many South Africans avoid going to matches because of the noise it generates. It does not have the universal appeal you think it does. But hey you stick to your comparison of it being the same as a drunk guy snarling in your face.

Yes the perfect solution. Mute the TV, brilliant. Sit and watch in silence, fantastic.

Put the radio commentary on... simple

• Advertisement

Should be these

478054.jpg

I'd rather 80,000 Vuvuzelas than even 1 of those.

Enjoying? They purposely do it to annoy the opposition ffs.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Put the radio commentary on... simple

it's the same on the radio too, the radio commentators are in the stadium too.

The "part of their culture" argument so we therefore must like it and not dislike it is somewhat of a "race card" argument.

Not at all, stop talking through your hoop.
    stovelid wrote: »

I can see why that might seem hilarious to a load of couch and pub seat huggers.

Agreed. Some people haven't a clue about football culture.

It's not as if the games are going on down the road. Bit pointless calling us couch and pub seat huggers.

What are you so? Are you in South Africa?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The similarity - and pay attention here because you can't seem to grasp this - is NOT EVERYONE ENJOYS THEM. In other words, it is ruining and spoiling the atmosphere for many.

In fact, as far as I am aware, many South Africans avoid going to matches because of the noise it generates. It does not have the universal appeal you think it does. But hey you stick to your comparison of it being the same as a drunk guy snarling in your face.
    But obviously a huge amount of people do enjoy them

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Agreed. Some people haven't a clue about football culture.

No we just don't give a **** about it.

it's the same on the radio too, the radio commentators are in the stadium too.

Ah well... too bad then :p

Like it or lump it, they're there for another month so you may as well get used to them

Enjoying? They purposely do it to annoy the opposition ffs.

Supporters trying to put off the oppo?

How unsporting. Especially at a worldwide feast of football product.

Are you in South Africa?

I live in Rustenburg

Here are some articles to prove you haven't a clue what your talking about, as usual.

http://www.ethiopianreview.com/news/135790
    http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/news/newsid=1073689.html

It's clearly a part of South African football culture.

So what, 12 years you say?

I live in Rustenburg

Brilliant. And are you stovelid?

No, he's Des?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Could the TV stations not at least lower the pitch feed and raise the commentators feed? They're driving me nuts and we're only 45 mins in.

No, but he's my brother and visits the third week of every month

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    Could the TV stations not at least lower the pitch feed and raise the commentators feed? They're driving me nuts and we're only 45 mins in.

You should write a letter explaining the situation, I'm sure they'll be all ears.

But obviously a huge amount of people do enjoy them

Sure. But for argument's sake let's say that 60-70% of the South African fans as a whole enjoy them. That's a drop in the ocean when one takes every other football fans into account and the SA fans who don't enjoy them. Why then allow them?

I think FIFA are going to regret not cracking down on this as I bet there will be a lot of negative feedback (no pun intended) on these things over the next few weeks.

Yiou're making me sound like a period euphemism.

:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sure. But for argument's sake let's say that 60-70% of the South African fans as a whole enjoy them. That's a drop in the ocean when one takes every other football fans into account and the SA fans who don't enjoy them. Why then allow them?

I think FIFA are going to regret not cracking down on this as I bet there will be a lot of negative feedback (no pun intended) on these things over the next few weeks.
    Fair enough, I suppose I just find it difficult to understand why people get so annoyed at them, don't bother me at all

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Yiou're making me sound like a period euphemism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You should write a letter explaining the situation, I'm sure they'll be all ears.

Hohoho, they are ear-itating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Right, but it still has no relevance.

Unless he is in the stadium right now, he cannot get on a high horse and call us all couch and pub seat huggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It would be a decent idea to bring out, not nearly as outlandish as to warrant such sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They don't even stop blowing the stupid things when their own team scores.

Seriously people, stop defending them.

Advertisement