Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

What's BBCHD like compared to RTE analogue on the sound. Are the horns exacerbated or lessened or the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

So what, 12 years you say?

Agree to disagree.

Lots of South African fans would agree with you, and lots would agree with me. It's all on opinion. But FIFA, South African FA and many South African football fans consider it a part of their football culture.

Whether you like it or not, it doesn't matter. They are going to be played throughout the WC, so mute the TV and stop whining about them and watch the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I hate them. I do not care if it is their culture, or if it is their divine right to blow them. I still hate them. To those people complaining about the people complaining, guess what. Some people don't like the things that you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Right, but it still has no relevance.

Unless he is in the stadium right now, he cannot get on a high horse and call us all couch and pub seat huggers.

Course I can.

I'm a regular match-goer (both for club and Ireland) so I appreciate the importance of a noisy, vibrant atmosphere both for intimidating the oppo and just expressing yourself as supporters.

I too find the drone of horns a little annoying but that's because I'm following the match on TV/radio so I still support the right of the supporters at the game to express themselves because that is the primary match epxerience.

And any supporter that rips the piss out of "football culture" shouldn;t even warrant a repsonse tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

That is the most annoying sound in the world and is currently ruining my enjoyment of the otherwise fine match!

(great save!)

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Course I can.

I'm a regular match-goer (both for club and Ireland) so I appreciate the importance of a noisy, vibrant atmosphere both for intimidating the oppo and just expressing yourself as supporters.

I too find the drone of horns a little annoying but that's because I'm following the match on TV/radio so I still support the right of the supporters at the game to express themselves because that is the primary match epxerience.

And any supporter that rips the piss out of "football culture" shouldn;t even warrant a repsonse tbh.

Right so you're not at the game right now. All I needed to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They should ban the damn things. A major annoyance and headache provider. i'm praying that they won't be quite so intense when South Africa aren't playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

all i know is the minature versions that kids have here at gaa/soccer matches are annoying as hell to be sat near so can only imagine what its like sitting in a stadium of thousands of these giant horns.

also: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100607/od_afp/safricahealthoffbeatfblwc2010_20100607160834

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They take away massively from the atmosphere. Just a constant humming, no change even when they score. You can't hear the crowd, they've got no ryhthm. Hopefully they'll only feature in the SA match.

anyone just see the woman with the headphone/earmuff things on in the crowd to stop the noise! dont blame her!

• Advertisement

Right so you're not at the game right now. All I needed to know.

You "don't give a fuck about football culture".

That's more than I need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

What's BBCHD like compared to RTE analogue on the sound. Are the horns exacerbated or lessened or the same?

I was watching it on ITV and it is as bad as it is on RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tonights game is on BBC1 so the red button can be used for 5live commentary with any luck, I'd like to think the engineers have been working on a filter.

stovelid wrote: »
    You "don't give a fuck about football culture".

That's more than I need to know.

English fans footballing (past) culture is hooliganism.

Polish fans footballing culture is and still is to kick the **** out of each other.

African fans footballing culture is not as extreme in terms of the Vuvuzela / fog horns, but it is undoubtedly a negative and atmosphere destroying cultural aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I think their great:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Own up Boardsies, which of you complained to RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

They are fantastic!!! Doesn't bother me in the slightest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I actually didn't notice them too much. After a while they just blend into the backround. Bit like a GAA match with the air horns tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

if you don't like it, turn off the sound.

Or alternatively, just ignore it.

I'd rather have a vuvuzela blaring for 90 minutes than George Hamilton talking crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Or if you don't like it, say you don't like it :confused:

• Advertisement

The first match was on ITV HD and the sound wasnt as bad as it was on the regular ITV channel or RTE.Seems to be lessened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

These things are a nightmare. I hate them. I believe that satan himself invented them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

They don't bother me in the slightest, then again I'm not in a stadium filled with thousands of them

English fans footballing (past) culture is hooliganism.

Polish fans footballing culture is and still is to kick the **** out of each other.

African fans footballing culture is not as extreme in terms of the Vuvuzela / fog horns, but it is undoubtedly a negative and atmosphere destroying cultural aspect.

You're taking out of your hole?

That said, the World Cup is like a four-yearly affliction of people like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hmmmm sligo away on the 26th, anywhere to get one of these wonderful things in ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

for about 2 mins, the noise of those things was annoying. Then they just faded out tbh, and by the end of the game I didn't notice them. Anything adding to the atmosphere etc of a game is a good thing. Nothing worse than being at a game where no one shouts, sings and such. Injecting a bit of African-ness into the tournament is a good thing, just turn the sound down a bit if they are annoying you that much. Not like you'll be missing anything insightful, esp on RTE

Dr Galen wrote: »
    for about 2 mins, the noise of those things was annoying. Then they just faded out tbh, and by the end of the game I didn't notice them. Anything adding to the atmosphere etc of a game is a good thing. Nothing worse than being at a game where no one shouts, sings and such. Injecting a bit of African-ness into the tournament is a good thing, just turn the sound down a bit if they are annoying you that much. Not like you'll be missing anything insightful, esp on RTE

Yeah, I found it a little intrusive for a while but you kinda zone it out.

I've no doubt they'll try and minimize it as time goes on.

Do a lot of countries use the same feed? So switching stations might not necessarily help.

"If you dont like it mute your tv"

Should we really have to watch the world cup in silence because the crowd are blowing annoying toy horns??? There is nothing "african" about blowing a horn.

You mean besides the fact that the vuvuzela was invented by a South African?

• Advertisement

df1985 wrote: »
    There is nothing "african" about blowing a horn.

So what would be the correct African response to live football?

In your opinion, like.

We've already ruled out that it's something that the football supporters of South Africa, Africa, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I think these vuvuzelas are good and bad! The noise of them can be quite frustrating after about 10 minutes! But I must say it does drown out any racist or foul mouthed chanting that has ruined some games in the past. Its part of south african culture so I guess we should just embrace it! Can you imagine the world cup being in Ireland though, would the crowd be allowed play tin whistles throughout the whole game!? :D

Devil08 wrote: »
    Can you imagine the world cup being in Ireland though, would the crowd be allowed play tin whistles throughout the whole game!? :D
    Don't be ridiculous

Bodhráns FTW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Nothing worse than being at a game where no one shouts, sings and such.

Lol, it's a pity you can't actually hear any of that then isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

They're back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I cant say they are annoying me too much. I thought they would be but i think its adding to the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hate the way you can't hear the crowd even when there is a goal only the horns. Very annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Talk about a wreck the head. FIFA should have banned them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

they wreck my head but i think its ruining the atmosphere all u can hear is the horns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

They're back!

The Swarm !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

wynters wrote: »
    Am I alone in liking them???

Part of the World Cup's attraction is the carnival atmosphere. Noise and colour are all part of the pagentry.

Embrace the vuvuzela!

I cant say that I like them but I do agree about the carnival atmosphere they seem to create.

They certainly make this World Cup stand out from others already

earplugs_full.jpg

Turn up the TV and have those in, sorted :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Melion wrote: »
    I cant say they are annoying me too much. I thought they would be but i think its adding to the atmosphere.

No way. It's completely taking away from the atmosphere. This France - Uruguay game might as well be played in front of 50 people for all the atmosphere there is. All you can hear is the incessant buzzing of the bee swarm. Jesus I wouldn't mind if it was trumpets and they were playing musical tunes or banging drums or something, but the only sound they create is Buzzzzzzzzz non-fcuking stop. It's pointless.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    No way. It's completely taking away from the atmosphere. This France - Uruguay game might as well be played in front of 50 people for all the atmosphere there is. All you can hear is the incessant buzzing of the bee swarm. Jesus I wouldn't mind if it was trumpets and they were playing musical tunes or banging drums or something, but the only sound they create is Buzzzzzzzzz non-fcuking stop. It's pointless.
    Dead right. Sounds like a truckers convention.

aidan24326 wrote: »

Did you see the guy in the crowd (France game) head down not even looking at the game , blowing his lungs out ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

mixednuts wrote: »
    Did you see the guy in the crowd (France game) head down not even looking at the game , blowing his lungs out ???

No I missed that. And tickets aint bloody cheap either!

BBC have it spot on . RTE to noisy .

But still can't hear the crowd :mad:

I'd imagine the players must hate them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I fookin hate these things! :mad:

Ruining the match. We allow Africa to host the World Cup and this is how they repay us- the c*nts! :mad:

Any fcuker caught blowing into one of those yokes should have it forcibly inserted up his rectum. That'll teach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Tonights game is on BBC1 so the red button can be used for 5live commentary with any luck, I'd like to think the engineers have been working on a filter.

Yep they have the radio feed, red button, press 1, press >right> button, the sound is softer and the commentary is more entertaining. Radio is cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

They will ruin the World Cup! No atmosphere at all, just "Buzzzzzzzz".
    Totally agree with the guy who said it might as well be played in front of 50 people.

We only get a World Cup every 4 years and this is what we get this time around, can they not bang a few drums or something musical? F this, hope Africa never gets the WC again.

In Brazil there will be some Samba dancers and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Now, Bill has addressed the issue so ye can all either put up with it or go outside and mow the lawn :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement