Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

How do the South Africans actually enjoy the noise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I was in work for the early match so I'm having my rant now.
    Anybody who says those horns add anything to the atmosphere is simple, they completely drown out the crowd, they're making it a chore to sit through a match!
    They are absolutely ****ing pointless, I can live with noise but this is ****ing rediculous! I couldn't give a ****e who's culture it is, imo it's one nation ruining it for countless others so culture can suck my balls tbh!
    Each and every one of those pricks with the ****ing stupid horns should have them rammed so far up their hole that they choke on it!

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Dempsey wrote: »
    Now, Bill has addressed the issue so ye can all either put up with it or go outside and mow the lawn :pac:

Okey dokey so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

116648.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Good God you can barely hear Stephen Alkin on the RTE commentary. Or "George" as Ray Houghton keeps calling him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

They're not bothering me in the slightest.

However, Javier Mascherano's possom-like appearance really annoys me, I think I'll call RTE and see what they can do about that, since apparently we all deserve immunity from anything which is even slightly irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Didnt read the whole thread, jesus its annoying, and anybody who likes it should come back in 2 weeks after watching every game and let me know if they've got tinnitus!

Also why are they getting so defensive in the studio, with their 'get used to it'.... its very easy to do some extremely basic on the fly sound processing to drown out all dynamic range except speech....why the fcuk don't the do that.
    I'm emailing the fckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep they have the radio feed, red button, press 1, press >right> button, the sound is softer and the commentary is more entertaining. Radio is cool.

An absolute shame that it isn't available on the BBC HD channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Now, Bill has addressed the issue so ye can all either put up with it or go outside and mow the lawn :pac:

And what did he say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was watching the news earlier and they did a piece about the horns. They cut to a shot of a market stall that had a load of the horns for sale with a few passer bys looking at them. Next thing some guy picks one up and blows into and then puts it back on the stall. :/
    I'm consoling myself with the possibility that anybody that actually buys one of the stupid things and goes to a match with it gets Herpes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    And what did he say?

Basically he said that they had at least a complaint for every minute of the first half, the noise is part and parcel of African Football and there is nothing they can do about it.

Steven Alkin(sp) was doing some sound checks just as they came out for the 2nd half but I dont think they have made any adjustments to the audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Looks like a lot of fans would like to whitewash the South African World Cup.

I can honestly say they don't bother me in the slightest, but then again i'm not the uptight sort, crying about things i have no power to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Sound on RTE is a disgrace. BBC seems to be able to drown out the Vuvuzela some how. You can't even hear the crowd on RTE.:mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cougar1 wrote: »
    Didnt read the whole thread, jesus its annoying, and anybody who likes it should come back in 2 weeks after watching every game and let me know if they've got tinnitus!

Also why are they getting so defensive in the studio, with their 'get used to it'.... its very easy to do some extremely basic on the fly sound processing to drown out all dynamic range except speech....why the fcuk don't the do that.
    I'm emailing the fckers.

Thats not required, commentary comes in totally seperately. The issue is that if you get rid of the horn sounds, they you can't hear the whistle, or other crowd noise, kicking of ball etc.
    Mister men wrote: »
    Sound on RTE is a disgrace. BBC seems to be able to drown out the Vuvuzela some how. You can't even hear the crowd on RTE.:mad:

Sounds exactly the same on my TV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The Vuvuzela are the crowd

I've a pain in my bollix listening to them

• Advertisement

Not on BBC HD

The BBC do seem to have got it perfectly. Us Irish could learn from them.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of fans would like to whitewash the South African World Cup.

Yes, the South African World Cup.

So it's part of their culture? Fair enough, aslong as it doesn't annoy the hell out of everyone who enjoys watching the game. It may hosted in their country, but that doesn't give them the right to basically ruin a World event with the Vuvuzela.

If it was hosted here and everyone decided to bring their favourite Tin Whistle along for the ride then people from other corners of the World would be dead right to complain.

copacetic wrote: »
    Thats not required, commentary comes in totally seperately. The issue is that if you get rid of the horn sounds, they you can't hear the whistle, or other crowd noise, kicking of ball etc.

I get what you are saying. Not saying they have to get rid of it, just tone it down in the backround so that speech is the predominant sound coming through.
    I've a basic toshiba dvd player that can do it on the fly for action movies to drown out the sound of explosions etc and focus on speech so I'm sure they have plenty of equipment in the studios above in rte to do it effectively.

Yes, the South African World Cup.

So it's part of their culture? Fair enough, aslong as it doesn't annoy the hell out of everyone who enjoys watching the game. It may hosted in their country, but that doesn't give them the right to basically ruin a World event with the Vuvuzela.

If it was hosted here and everyone decided to bring their favourite Tin Whistle along for the ride then people from other corners of the World would be dead right to complain.

It does give them the right. They are doing it and are permitted to do so, therefore they have the right.

This is how the South Africans celebrate football, they are the hosts, so be it. Quit your arrogance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

FIFA should've made a compromise and only allowed them into the stadium when the African teams were playing.

cougar1 wrote: »
    I get what you are saying. Not saying they have to get rid of it, just tone it down in the backround so that speech is the predominant sound coming through.
    I've a basic toshiba dvd player that can do it on the fly for action movies to drown out the sound of explosions etc and focus on speech so I'm sure they have plenty of equipment in the studios above in rte to do it effectively.

Totally agree, tone down the background somewhat. The BBC seem to be doing just that. How was ITV earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Henry coming on ... Hopefully the boo's drown them out ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

RTE are a bunch of amatuers. The sound on there is a ****ing disgrace.

Bunch of ****ing **** adjust the ****ing sound you idiotic pricks. Bill just saying deali with it, **** you Bill your getting paid enough you fat ****.

We pay for this coverage we can complain about disgraceful coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I heard about this fúcking vuvuzela business afew months back and I thought people were exaggerating, well they werent. Its the worst racket Ive ever heard at match.
    You would have to wonder what kind of morons think its a good idea to blow a tuneless plastic trumpet for 90 minutes solid. Culture me hole. Culture is samba drums. Culture is the Dutch brass band. Culture is singing your national anthem. This is just mindless pointless noise. And why cant the fúckers just blow them when the ball goes dead, after a shot or a goal. Why blow them ALL THE FúCKING TIME!
    It really messes up the world cup as a spectacle for the tv viewer. You dont get any sense of the crowds reactions at all. Its all drowned out by this drone. Typical of Blatter and co to allow it. What a joke FIFA is.

Totally agree, tone down the background somewhat. The BBC seem to be doing just that. How was ITV earlier?

Itv seemed to be similar to rte, but in saying that i wasnt at home watching and the signal was through basic ntl cable so think it was in mono which made it sound crap anyway. Will have to wait to check em on sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The constant droning is getting to me now. Can someone please tell
    mark lawrenson to shut up:D

DB10 wrote: »

Bunch of ****ing **** adjust the ****ing sound you idiotic pricks. Bill just saying deali with it, **** you Bill your getting paid enough you fat ****.

Ring up RTE and complain, I'm sure you are going to tell them something that their sound engineers dont know already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gotta disagree about the BBC sound being better. Yes the horns are less noisy, but so are all other sounds from the stadium.

With one shot there a few minutes ago you could hear the ball being struck on RTE but the strike could not be heard on BBC.

I know it's annoying but I think as we see more matches you will just got used to it and your brain will sort of block it out.

Can't criticise South African's, it's how they enjoy themselves!

Agricola wrote: »
    I heard about this fúcking vuvuzela business afew months back and I thought people were exaggerating, well they werent. Its the worst racket Ive ever heard at match.
    You would have to wonder what kind of morons think its a good idea to blow a tuneless plastic trumpet for 90 minutes solid. Culture me hole. Culture is samba drums. Culture is the Dutch brass band. Culture is singing your national anthem. This is just mindless pointless noise. And why cant the fúckers just blow them when the ball goes dead, after a shot or a goal. Why blow them ALL THE FúCKING TIME!
    It really messes up the world cup as a spectacle for the tv viewer. You dont get any sense of the crowds reactions at all. Its all drowned out by this drone. Typical of Blatter and co to allow it. What a joke FIFA is.

I'm watching RTE and I can hear crowd reactions to shots etc

• Advertisement

Ring up RTE and complain, I'm sure you are going to tell them something that their sound engineers dont know already

Listen smart arse why don't the ***** get of their arse and do something about it then??

Sound engineers my ****ing bollocks, this is what their getting paid for time to prove their worth.

Basic stuff they could just ask BBC how to do it properly.

Wow you're an angry man. What has Bill's salary for being a studio presenter got to do with sound engineer's in RTE!

Absolutely ridiculous post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only thing I will say is that it kills any other kind of atmosphere from the crowd. Haven't heard any songs or chants, the French would usually give their anthem a few belts but there's not a chance of any chants with that noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The only thing I will say is that it kills any other kind of atmosphere from the crowd. Haven't heard any songs or chants, the French would usually give their anthem a few belts but there's not a chance of any chants with that noise.

Completely agree. The normal atmosphere from a football game is gone, replaced by a constant droning sound. No ups, no downs, just a monotonous drone. Daft.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Completely agree. The normal atmosphere from a football game is gone, replaced by a constant droning sound. No ups, no downs, just a monotonous drone. Daft.

Lots of vuvuzelas = Up

Few vuvuzelas = Down

I could hear the groans from the crowd when Henry missed that header just there.

SuprSi wrote: »

There are advantages. Means we won't hear 'Rule Britannia' tomorrow night!

Listen smart arse why don't the ***** get of their arse and do something about it then??

Sound engineers my ****ing bollocks, this is what their getting paid for time to prove their worth.

Basic stuff they could just ask BBC how to do it properly.

If you arent happy then ring RTE, not post on ****ing boards.ie about it. Thats not being a smart arse, thats just common sense.

I've no complaints with the RTE sound, I just flicked over to the BBC HD and they've just turned down the entire noise from the stadium. Obviously RTE want people to feel like they are in the stadium as opposed to a sterile studio.

Go watch BBC then!

****ing change the ****ing channel then. It's not that ****ing hard is it. Load of ****ing bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just watched it on BBC 1.

I'd gotten used to it by the end of the game and zoned it out mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Seriously..who is ringing up RTE to complain about them???!!

Ive never met any person like that...although theres probably 1 or 2 from here?!

what the f**k can RTE do about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Tried to listen to Radio 5 today to the first match but couldn't stick it:mad: I wonder could they get some noise cancelling mic to shield it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Them yokes are awful. I gave them the benefit of the doubt at the start, but fook me, they're shocking.

Seriously..who is ringing up RTE to complain about them???!!

Ive never met any person like that...although theres probably 1 or 2 from here?!

You'd wonder alright...:pac:

Its not like this is the first or even 5th international football match in South Africa that RTE has covered.

RTE - Stadium > Commentator
    BBC - Commentator > Stadium
    ITV - Nobody Cares

Adjust the crowd noise which is easily done by these so called sound engineers. Even if they are too flipping cheap to get their own feed.

Jokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah the best they can do is increase the commentary volume and lower the stadium noise. It will mean a sort of flat experience, like what the BBC have but it beats listenin to this drone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Culture? blowing a horn! ya right.

No atmosphere at all, no emotion from the crowd, no boos, no chants, just a annoying drone.
    Are these people even watching the matches like! i cant imagine trying to concentrate on the match whilst blowing into a horn continousily for 90 MINUTES!

I said at the start of this thread that these yokes would be the single biggest controversy of this world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

All I can say is that they are incredibly annoying. They don't add to the atmosphere, I mean if my tv picked up static and commentary, rather than vevezula's and commentary it would be the same level of atmosphere.

Oh and to the person who said we wanted to whitewash the world cup by not having these things, implying that we were racist for not liking a droning sound then you are talking out of your arse. Nobody complained when like 7 million south koreans chanting and sang for their team in the 2002 world cup. Nobody complained when the world cup was hosted in south korea and japan because the fans added to the tournament. We don't want it to be a European Championship but we do want games to be what we expect, where fans react to whats happening on the pitch and not play a tuneless instrument for 90 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

If Ireland ever hosts the World Cup we should inflict Jedward on the viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tom10 wrote: »
    Nobody complained when like 7 million south koreans chanting and sang for their team in the 2002 world cup. Nobody complained when the world cup was hosted in south korea and japan because the fans added to the tournament.

Very good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ye I changed my mind. They 're annoying, they don't add anything. You just don't hear anything else. No chants, no applause, nothing.
    Same reaction back home in Germany by the way. Everybody hates them. Facebook groups against them and all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement