Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

DB10 wrote: »
    Even if they are too flipping cheap to get their own feed.

Jokers.

Or they cannot afford to do what the BBC do. Should we double or even treble the license fee just to accommodate you on this and send 200 odd people out to South Africa just like the BBC? Should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Just watching the highlights now on RTE 2, the sound seems a lot better and you can actually hear the crowd....not just those blasted horns.

I wonder can they do this for the live broadcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think we should start a protest and assemble at Landsdowne Road and march on towards the South Africa Embassy

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

There are quite a few things that could be done if they were to put a bit of effort into sound processing.

Not a sound engineer here but even aside from just lowering the noise other than commentary they could with a bit of effort into it and focus in on the dynamic range of that instrument and nullify it considerably, while keeping everything else i.e. whistles, kicks and crowd noise other than the bloody drone of that thing. This can be done in real-time aswell.

If sound engineers can remove an entire instrument from a song in a good recording studio then the capabilities are there to make a huge improvement in what is being broadcast with the equipment available to tv studios.

Obviously it wouldn't be perfect but it would be alot better than it is now.
    They just couldn't be arssed or didn't bother to think it would be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If they are stuck for a sound engineer I'm willing to do it for them for free if it means I could watch the WC without looking over my shoulder for bees and wasps all of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Seriously..who is ringing up RTE to complain about them???!!

Ive never met any person like that...although theres probably 1 or 2 from here?!

what the f**k can RTE do about it!

I'll be on to Joe on Monday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Headshot wrote: »
    I think we should start a protest and assemble at Landsdowne Road and march on towards the South Africa Embassy

:pac:

South Africa should be thrown out and we should get their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I don't think there is lot that can be done about it tbh. The sound is so overpowering that it would be possible to single out just that frequency and reduce it. It's different to drowning the sound of one instrument from a song I'd imagine. 30k of these things being blown at different times and different lengths some louder and harder than others. Impossible to drown out or even reduce without losing all sound from the stadium.

They are funkin horrible though. Completely ruin the game as a spectacle. I didn't hear one chant in the game this evening. Imagine if we had been there and we couldn't even get an oul ole ole going. Must take a lot of the fun out of it for the supporters in the ground. You wouldn't even be able to cmunicate with others in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

murpho999 wrote: »
    There are advantages. Means we won't hear 'Rule Britannia' tomorrow night!

No you wont, but you will hear God save the Queen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

They are horrendous. I become acutely aware of them at the start of a match and when I switch to a non-football programme. I wonder if there is any chance that they will be banned by the governing body (FIFA?) because of the weight of public pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Or they cannot afford to do what the BBC do. Should we double or even treble the license fee just to accommodate you on this and send 200 odd people out to South Africa just like the BBC? Should we?

Why would we send 200 people?

Serious amount of people like you without a basic understanding that like to jump in shouting up RTE and Fianna Fail!

10 people would do it to get a feed. 1 sound engineer to adjust crowd noise.

Considering just this week RTE sent 10 people on a week long trip to Russia for a 2 minute box report on the news for a few days, they can well afford this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Its like trying to watch a game with these guys:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Rob113 wrote: »
    I don't think there is lot that can be done about it tbh. The sound is so overpowering that it would be possible to single out just that frequency and reduce it. It's different to drowning the sound of one instrument from a song I'd imagine. 30k of these things being blown at different times and different lengths some louder and harder than others. Impossible to drown out or even reduce without losing all sound from the stadium.

They are funkin horrible though. Completely ruin the game as a spectacle. I didn't hear one chant in the game this evening. Imagine if we had been there and we couldn't even get an oul ole ole going. Must take a lot of the fun out of it for the supporters in the ground. You wouldn't even be able to cmunicate with others in the ground.

I agree there would be probably be a lot of crossover with the drone of that and generic crowd noise, worth a try though, the commentary and ref whistle could be maintained tho.

Alternatively they could remove the stadium noise altogether and get the panel to do some cheering when the goals go in and broadcast it out to us all on a 5 second delay :D t'would sound a little better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

They are horrendous. I become acutely aware of them at the start of a match and when I switch to a non-football programme. I wonder if there is any chance that they will be banned by the governing body (FIFA?) because of the weight of public pressure.

Why would they be banned now?? It just won't happen!! The spoiling of a tournament by these things came to light at the Confederations Cup last year.

FIFA knew full well the opinion of football supporters, but have chosen to ignore them. This is the World Cup of no atmosphere. Hopefully, it's never held in this country again if that's what we're gonna get!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

FFS They aren't half as bad as people are saying. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

RichTea wrote: »
    FFS They aren't half as bad as people are saying. Not even close.

That's just your opinion though!! For other people, they're worse!

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's just your opinion though!! For other people, they're worse!

I suppose. They used to really annoy me back in the Confederations Cup maybe it really is a case of getting used to them because I don't mind them at all now. In fact I think they're not a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

What was your favourite chant tonight RichTea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Their pretty annoying but I do find myself zoning them out as the match progresses. I'd say by the time the world cup final comes around we mightn't even notice them.

In fact we'll find it hard to watch tv without them. We'll all be sitting down to coronation street blowing the nipple off our vuvuzela.

• Advertisement

I don't normally hear chants when I'm listening on the telly. I've no problem with the vuvuzela at all and I'm willing to bet that you won't either by the end of the tournament.

I'll take that bet.

I was pissed off with them last year and even more so now. Seems as if it'll ruin this tournament a bit. I'm actually put off watching some of the games becasue of it, couldn't be arsed listening to that for 90 mins and I won't mute it for a game, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I'll take that bet.

I was pissed off with them last year and even more so now. Seems as if it'll ruin this tournament a bit. I'm actually put off watching some of the games becasue of it, couldn't be arsed listening to that for 90 mins and I won't mute it for a game, that's for sure.

In fairness I've spent 25 years zoning out that shrill whine that emanates from George Hamilton so I'm well versed in the area.

I'll take that bet.

Just don't think about them. I bet you! :D

You won't be able to live without them. You might even download the app at the bottom of this page - http://worldcupdailyblog.com/2010/06/10/world-cup-the-apps/

I stopped watching RTE long ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What's the best of the French and Uruguayan repertoire that we all missed?

• Advertisement

I liked the song about the baguette.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

after 25 mins of the 1st game i forgot about them. until mexico scored and they completely stopped. that was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Wouldn't fancy being a player who suffers from migraines or any other type of headache on a regular basis!!

Hope they just get sick of blowing them by the time the knockout stages roll around!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

apparently you dont notice them as much in the pub, so my absolutely hammered mate told me bout an hour ago.might have to try that......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Vuvuzelas are killing the atmosphere imo.

I want to hear the few thousand hardcore French travellers belting out Le Marseillaise every 10 minutes and singing 'Allez Les Blues'.
    I want to hear the Brazilians beating their drums and the girls dancing to The Samba.
    I want to hear GSTQ, Rule Brittania, and especially The Great Escape and Dambusters.
    I want to sense the anticapation as Messi or Ronaldo gain possession and start running with the ball seemingly tied to their foot.
    I want the Ole's as Spain string 50 passes together.
    I want the Danes singing their Viking songs whilst looking faintly ridiculous with their hats.
    I want to hear the Dutch doing that funny little song they do.
    I want to hear U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A. And when USA play one of their many foes I want to sense the emnity in every challenge.
    I want to hear what the fans of the countries who have never (or rarely) qualified bring to the party - The Hondurans, The Slovakians, The Kiwis.

Its a World Cup - if its in your country then by all means you are entitled to give it your own stamp - just remember its for the World, and not every game is about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I reckon the world should boycott watching one game in protest against this ear cancer! :)

Seriously, if everyone didn't watch say Algeria v Slovenia on Sunday (who in their right mind wants to watch this anyway) and TV ratings were 0 worldwide, someone might sit up and take notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

my god they are fukin annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I want to hear GSTQ, Rule Brittania, and especially The Great Escape and Dambusters.

You make a valid point.

Long live the vuvuzelas!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You make a valid point.

Long live the vuvuzelas!

Rule Britannia is a class tune :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's a first: watching TV football to hear stadium chants. The horns don't interfere with the enjoyment of the football that much?

As said, I honestly think we'll get more accustomed to the noise as the tournament goes on.

stovelid wrote: »
    That's a first: watching TV football to hear stadium chants. The horns don't interfere with the enjoyment of the football that much?

As said, I honestly think we'll get more accustomed to the noise as the tournament goes on.

When did I say I was watching it for that sole purpose? Don't be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't be silly.

I'm not the one pissing my cecks over a few horns when there's a whole world cup to enjoy?

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm not the one pissing my cecks over a few horns when there's a whole world cup to enjoy?

??

Anyway, like I (and many others) said, it's hard to enjoy it because of these things - they actually ruin the atmosphere ironically enough. Surely you can accept that?

??

Anyway, like I (and many others) said, it's hard to enjoy it because of these things - they actually ruin the atmosphere ironically enough. Surely you can accept that?

I'm pretty sure if you asked any of the commentators or people at the South Africa - Mexico match they'd tell you what the atmosphere was like.

The sound of people complaining about the vuvuzelas is infinitely more annoying than the vuvuzela itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Tbh, it's the same in Croke Park aswell.

Admitably, I'll love to hear some singing though, after all, liverpools 'spion kop' came from Africa!

• Advertisement

Why would we send 200 people?

Serious amount of people like you without a basic understanding that like to jump in shouting up RTE and Fianna Fail!

10 people would do it to get a feed. 1 sound engineer to adjust crowd noise.

Considering just this week RTE sent 10 people on a week long trip to Russia for a 2 minute box report on the news for a few days, they can well afford this.

LOL what the hell have Fianna Fail have to do with anything. I asked you if you think RTÉ should do what the BBC did. Then you went on a rant about nothing as usual. I am glad to see that you toned down your language at least.

As I said earlier, change the channel if they bother you that much but then that wouldn't give you an outlet to whinge and moan about it. Truely sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Some tulip just went by my apartment blowing one.

THEY ARE IN IRELAND FOLKS !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Starting to really grate now, they even use them throughout the feckin anthems.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

karma_ wrote: »
    Starting to really grate now, they even use them throughout the feckin anthems.

Ya how ignorant is that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Watching this on ITV as it seems the commentary is actually somebit audible compared to RTE - will miss out on the gems from Ricco though:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

South Africa have let a plastic horn ruin their World Cup.

If I wasn't a massive football fan I wouldn't bother sitting through 90 minutes of this.

ITV is somewhat better than RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

About 12 people at the S Korea game and I still can't hear myself think :(

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    LOL what the hell have Fianna Fail have to do with anything. I asked you if you think RTÉ should do what the BBC did. Then you went on a rant about nothing as usual. I am glad to see that you toned down your language at least.

As I said earlier, change the channel if they bother you that much but then that wouldn't give you an outlet to whinge and moan about it. Truely sad.

Nice one, blatantly ignore what I said.

Do you work for RTE or something?

Clueless.

Nice one, blatantly ignore what I said.

Do you work for RTE or something?

Clueless.

*yawn*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

There not too bad during the match but through the anthems is just disrespectful!

Advertisement