Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

they actually don't bother me at all tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

This game (Korea vs Greece) is not as bad as the others. At least you can hear the crowd a bit and the drums. Must be because its half empty. I am tolerating it only because i love football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

They have actually put me off watching the matches, didnt bother with the S Korea match and now have this argentina match turned down low. Most annoying things ive heard during a football matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Is it just the South African's who are blowing them or have the foreign fans adopted them as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Haha, Argentina score and it doesn't make one bit of difference to the sound. Think this will probably go down as the worst WC because of this, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Is it just the South African's who are blowing them or have the foreign fans adopted them as well?

I think the foreign fans have adopted them too. Saw a couple of Koreans blowing them in the last match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The crowd are buzzing.......... literally :rolleyes:

ive been watching the HD coverage via BBC/ITV but my mate said that apparently RTE have had loads of complaints and have said they cant do anything about the sound as it comes from direct from the stadium. It'll be interesting if the England fans can be heard in their traditonal fine voice tonight!!

falan wrote: »
    I think the foreign fans have adopted them too. Saw a couple of Koreans blowing them in the last match.

That's unfortunate, it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

The vuvuzelas don't bother me that much but it could be interesting to see if certain matches/nations have them blaring to a lesser extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Teams come out . BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Teams shake hands. BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Foul. BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Goals. BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Alien invasion. BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

World Peace declared. BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Half time. BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

rinse/repeat.

Its not fupping atmosphere, its noise. Give me the cheering/booing/singing/oohing/aahhing which differentiates between things that actually happen on the pitch, not how long adults can blow a fcuking childs plastic trumpet.

To make it worse, I cant hear Mick McCarthy's lilting Irish tones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Watching the match now on BBC. Doesn't seem as loud. Or maybe I'm just getting used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

stovelid wrote: »
    Watching the match now on BBC. Doesn't seem as loud. Or maybe I'm just getting used it.

I've noticed that too - switched between BBC and RTE and it was a noticeable difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Yeh the vuvuzelas aren't too loud on BBC at all. Unfortunately the entire crowd is turned down so there's very little in the way of atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd imagine in a boozer with the crowd noise funnelled over the speakers like you often have it would be next to unbearable.

They are barely audible at all on BBC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

http://twitpic.com/1vwlun
    apparently this works

i tried it on my toshiba, though i have different eq bands. but it made a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

rarnes1 wrote: »
    They are barely audible at all on BBC :)
    You're right. It's brilliant. They seem to only feed crowd noise in at select moments.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Aidric wrote: »
    You're right. It's brilliant. They seem to only feed crowd noise in at select moments.

Not for me, they have brought all the background noise way down permanently. eg on that last attack for Argentina, on RTE all you could hear are the bloody vuvuzelas, with a slight increase in crowd noise. On BBC you can hear absolute no change in the background noise level at all. So the choice now is absolutely no athmosphere on BBC or the realistic but really annoying athmosphere on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

According to the organisers, these fúcking yokes are "... a symbol of the tournament." A symbol of fúcking annoyance more like...

It's like a huge, buzzing hive of bees or something...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Average goals per game so far is 1.25, I blame the vevezula's :p sure how can they communicate on the pitch at all haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Aidric wrote: »
    copacetic wrote: »
    Not for me, they have brought all the background noise way down permanently. eg on that last attack for Argentina, on RTE all you could hear are the bloody vuvuzelas, with a slight increase in crowd noise. On BBC you can hear absolute no change in the background noise level at all. So the choice now is absolutely no athmosphere on BBC or the realistic but really annoying athmosphere on RTE.

Maybe our TVs and set top boxes are set up differently but for me, BBCHD / BBC1 has by far the best sound quality out of RTE analogue, RTE digital and ITV1HD.

With BBC you hear more of the crowd than the vuvuzelas. (who knows, maybe they are overlaying pre-recorded crowd noises). The commentary is crisp and louder than the crowd noise.

On ITV1HD the commentary is crisp and louder than the background noise, but in the background the vuvuzelas mostly drown out the crowd.

On RTE2 digital (DTT) the commentary is only a bit louder than the background noise. The background noise seems to be solely the sound of vuvuzelas.

On RTE2 analogue, the vuvuzelas and commentary seem to be almost on par, which makes it pretty bad to watch / hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

As I predicted months ago,those Vuvuzelas will ruin the World Cup.
    I was watching the South Africa vs France rugby match from Cape Town this afternoon and the sound and atmosphere was fantastic.Not a vuvuzela to be hard and the atmosphere was electric .
    Compare that to the soccer matches which sound like commentary down a telephone line from the 1980's.
    No atmosphere at all and they seriously reduce the enjoyment .
    The match might as well be played in front of 100 people and a swarm of bees .

Eveytime there is a closeup of the crowd all I see are these deranged people relentlessly blowing on those bee flutes.
    It reminds me of a rave party.
    Those fans must be easily amused .

I did a quick test today to see what the sound was like on the European providers, Das Erste (German),CT4 (Czech),Canal+ (Spain) and Al Jazeera (Middle East) and they all had the same sound as RTE so people shouldnt be complaining too much about RTE .
    BBC have reduced the effect of the Vuvuzela but they have also dampened the rest of the sound.

Its Fifas fault for not banning them .

copacetic wrote: »
    So the choice now is absolutely no athmosphere on BBC or the realistic but really annoying athmosphere on RTE.

Easy choice tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTEs team are drowned out at any loud game, they have never got to grips with being able to isolate the commenatry mics. The sound quality is being back in the 70s, well nearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

BBC HD is great, I wish they got all the games :[

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    RTEs team are drowned out at any loud game, they have never got to grips with being able to isolate the commenatry mics. The sound quality is being back in the 70s, well nearly

thats not the issue Mike, Commentary comes in on an ISDN line, local effects comes in with the match vision feed from the host broadcaster. They are entirely independent. The local effects sound levels are decided in the stadium by the host broadcaster. Everybody worldwide gets the same feed. Broadcasters aren't supposed to interfere greatly with the levels, although BBC at least appear to have done so.

It appears to be purely an editorial decsion around whether to have realism to the sound (i.e to match it to what the stadium actually sounds like) or to dampen it down so it's not so annoying for the viewers. I'd imagine we'll see some variation across all the channels from match to match over next few days as they decide what is the preferred balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

mike65 wrote: »

Kinda like Johnny Giles' fashion sense! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

copacetic, if thats the case then RTE deserve an even greater slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched the earlier matches on BBC and it was far more bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I've got 3 stations here to pick from (french, german and swiss) and they're all doing their best to keep the noise of those vesuva, vezev, horns down to a respectable level.

It's still annoying. It's just constant horn noise. I want to watch football, not listen to some bleedin'.... horn fest.

Its Fifas fault for not banning them .

Here here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

The wikipedia page on them is brilliant:
    Commentators have described the sound as "annoying" and compared it with "a stampede of noisy elephants," "a deafening swarm of locusts," "a goat on the way to slaughter" and "a giant hive full of very angry bees."

They're a bit annoying alright, but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the matches or anything. I'm assuming I'll just get used to the sound after a few more matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

It's ruining my enjoyment, that's for sure. Had planned to watch all the games but have skipped a couple already because it's just annoying to watch tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

They don't bother me in the slightest. Selective hearing is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

They are so damn annoying, you can't get a feel for the crowd at the game.

An attack is building and the ball is being fed into the box, a potential goal scoring position, the crowd are on their feet .................... buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ball goes out for a throw...............buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Substitution .................. buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

They have no purpose in the game.

They are the worst thing in football since that moron in fratton park ringing the bell incessently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

a facebook campaign?

fúck sake.

Sad bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They don't seem too bad in the England match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Probably not that many tickets bought by the locals.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Probably not that many tickets bought by the locals.
    sure someone was sayin earlier that the travelling fans have adopted the as well. no hope!

Thought they were louder in that game, or maybe just more variant, not a single drone, although, honestly, I'm kinda used to them now.

I think some people are so worked up about them, they can't zone them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »
    I think some people are so worked up about them, they can't zone them out.

People who dont have kids.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    People who dont have kids.

You've mastered it as well? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Vuvuzelas are killing the atmosphere imo.

I want to hear the few thousand hardcore French travellers belting out Le Marseillaise every 10 minutes and singing 'Allez Les Blues'.
    I want to hear the Brazilians beating their drums and the girls dancing to The Samba.
    I want to hear GSTQ, Rule Brittania, and especially The Great Escape and Dambusters.
    I want to sense the anticapation as Messi or Ronaldo gain possession and start running with the ball seemingly tied to their foot.
    I want the Ole's as Spain string 50 passes together.
    I want the Danes singing their Viking songs whilst looking faintly ridiculous with their hats.
    I want to hear the Dutch doing that funny little song they do.
    I want to hear U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A. And when USA play one of their many foes I want to sense the emnity in every challenge.
    I want to hear what the fans of the countries who have never (or rarely) qualified bring to the party - The Hondurans, The Slovakians, The Kiwis.

Its a World Cup - if its in your country then by all means you are entitled to give it your own stamp - just remember its for the World, and not every game is about you.
    Excellent post, the horns ruin the atmosphere completely. I would have thought the normal fans wouldn't use them, just the Africans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I would have thought the normal fans wouldn't use them, just the Africans.

African people aren't normal?
    :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Des wrote: »
    African people aren't normal?
    :eek::eek:
    But best of all the African people themselves. Look at them there, aren't they great? The Africans; a great bunch of lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

rightthere.jpeg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Some tulip just went by my apartment blowing one.

THEY ARE IN IRELAND FOLKS !!!

€10 in Jabula, a South African ex-pat type shop

Get yours before they run out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement