Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Tom10 wrote: »
    Ya it may well be (though from what I've read it's not exactly been around too long) but it explains why nobody watches football in SA or goes to the matches.

Considering there attendences for 2009 were more than double the average of LoI attendences I think you're talking crap.

South Africa and the majority of similar nations would have a carnival atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Considering there attendences for 2009 were more than double the average of LoI attendences I think you're talking crap.

South Africa and the majority of similar nations would have a carnival atmosphere.

Ok I have 2 things to say,

1) I was being sarcastic
    2) The population of Ireland is 4 million with one of the biggest leagues in the world taking all out best players (and even our crap ones - Paul McShane). South Africa has a population of 45 million and doesn't have the same drain on it's player resources. It should have far bigger attendances than us for a footballing nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Tom10 wrote: »
    2) The population of Ireland is 4 million with one of the biggest leagues in the world taking all out best players (and even our crap ones - Paul McShane). South Africa has a population of 45 million and doesn't have the same drain on it's player resources. It should have far bigger attendances than us for a footballing nation.

indeed, I'm sure the South African FA would love to have bigger attendances. If your trying to link lower attendances to all the supporters having a horn all I can say is :rolleyes:

For Gods sake people, catch a grip. Its not that bad. I'n beginning to wonder how many actual football fans there are posting in this thread. People saying that they aren't watching games because of a fupping horn yoke? You wanna try Bohs V Sligo on a cold and wet evening, in bloody Sligo, or Newcastle V Middlesboro in December, with a fat geordie sitting behind you, spilling hot tea down your back.

Dr Galen wrote: »
    indeed, I'm sure the South African FA would love to have bigger attendances. If your trying to link lower attendances to all the supporters having a horn all I can say is :rolleyes:

WTF, did you not read point one and the only reason i made point two was a counter argument to the LoI v SA league attendances - don't pick and choose part of peoples argument to troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard that, it'll kill the atmosphere! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Dr Galen wrote: »

For Gods sake people, catch a grip. Its not that bad. I'n beginning to wonder how many actual football fans there are posting in this thread. People saying that they aren't watching games because of a fupping horn yoke? You wanna try Bohs V Sligo on a cold and wet evening, in bloody Sligo, or Newcastle V Middlesboro in December, with a fat geordie sitting behind you, spilling hot tea down your back.

How does that equate to hearing vuvuzela's when sitting at home? Do you think there'll be a fat Geordie sitting behind me when I'm in the comfort of my own home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I want to hear the Brazilians beating their drums and the girls dancing to The Samba.

You want to hear the girls dance :confused:

A crazy amount of people seem to be more interested in the noise of the crowd than the actual match!

What does Alan Hunter, the real voice of Irish football, think of all this :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Hurry up, ban them quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

dfx- wrote: »
    €10 in Jabula, a South African ex-pat type shop

Get yours before they run out!

I'm in Cape Town now, 2 euro each. They weren't too bad at Friday nights game here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

whoo hoo rte saying fifa are looking into banning them :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

adamski8 wrote: »
    whoo hoo rte saying fifa are looking into banning them :D

just repeating what the quotes in the BBC article above say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Wahhaey they are considering banning them, thank god hopefully they will coz its not a good sound and id much rather hear them fans give the stadium a good atmosphere with their voices, i miss the ohhs and ahhhs when i tune into watching the matches :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hopefully they get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

copacetic wrote: »
    just repeating what the quotes in the BBC article above say.
    i only believe what the rte panel have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Seriously, GTFO with these things. Fair enough culture is culture, ok for the opening ceremony or games involving the host nation....but FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

50/1 according to the RTE panel for them to be banned.

Well worth a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I can't stand it, BBC seem to have done some good work blocking them or filtering the noise, it's much less noticeable than on RTE. If they could filter out the vuvuzela and George Hamilton, I will flick back.

I don't buy the "part of the culture" line, let them blow it at the start and the finish, no need for 90 minutes of it. Grunting is part and parcel of tennis, but Sharapova still manages to make it obnoxious. I don't mind the Vuvuzela any more than I mind her orgasmic whines, just tone it down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

If someone wanted to sample South African culture then they should go on holiday there. Why not expand on the "culture" argument; a few sad facts of the South African culture also include higher than average incidences of murder/crime/rape and from my viewing of the world cup so far it appears that racial segregation is alive and well, because I sure as hell aren't seeing many white South Africans.

My point is, culture is overrated. It is not important when it comes to a World Cup. The most important thing is what happens on the pitch and during the games. This World Cup should be remembered for footballing reasons, not for the strange phenomenon of people turning up with the sole intent of blowing through a stupid plastic horn for two hours straight completely oblivious to whats happening on the pitch.

There is no atmosphere whatsoever to be heard at the games now, it is ruining them. Ban them now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Even at the Algeria V Slovenia game theres still fcuking 20,000 horns, I doubt there is even 20,000 people at the game FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of fans would like to whitewash the South African World Cup.

It's not the South African World Cup, it's the World Cup held in South Africa.
    They don't own the tournament but tell ya one thing, that droning, flat noise which gives no indication of the crowds reactions will make people across the world remember this tournament alright.

It'll only take one hero to throw one of these plastic shítpipes onto the pitch and FIFA will ban them. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Algerian player sent off - reaction heard - droning buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gambiaman wrote: »
    It's not the South African World Cup, it's the World Cup held in South Africa.
    They don't own the tournament but tell ya one thing, that droning, flat noise which gives no indication of the crowds reactions will make people across the world remember this tournament alright.

It'll only take one hero to throw one of these plastic shítpipes onto the pitch and FIFA will ban them. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Algerian player sent off - reaction heard - droning buzz.

Exactly. Two of my favourite things about the world cup are the Brazilian samba and the almighty din made by the amazing South Korean supporters.

I'm watching these matches with the sound down at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

How do they keep this swarm of bees sound going all thru' the game. Is there no lull?

It drowns out the brass and percussion instruments that different countries bring to the competition.

Are they doing it to annoy the rest of the world, cos it's working. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What % of the tickets are in the hands of locals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

How do they keep this swarm of bees sound going all thru' the game. Is there no lull?
    I'm been at games there before, people just spend the whole game blowing through them. If you think it's bad on TV, imagine 3 people sitting behind you at a match with them. You have to move seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If you think it's bad on TV, imagine 3 people sitting behind you at a match with them.
    I don't find them too bad on TV myself, but I can imagine it being a pain in the hole live. Air horns in Croker are bad enough.

It makes games feel less dramatic but hey, I'm in my front room watching.

I might miss the atmosphere more as the tournament goes on though - actually anyone reckon there'll be less vuvuzelas from the knockout rounds on or are fans of all teams blowing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Anybody who thinks they may be banned can jog on, there are official branded FIFA vuvuzela's on sale in Cape Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Archimedes wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks they may be banned can jog on, there are official branded FIFA vuvuzela's on sale in Cape Town.

So old Sepp would worry more about people not buying the "official" plastic toy trumpet or national broadcasters not being happy. I reckon I can take a guess what makes FIFA more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Of course it's not possible they completely overestimated the impact of the vuvuzelas on the matches, no? FIFA sure do think of everything :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Haddockman wrote: »
    What % of the tickets are in the hands of locals?

I heard on the radio about a week ago that FIFA give the host country 20% of all tickets. How much of that 20% gets to locals I can't tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Of course it's not possible they completely overestimated the impact of the vuvuzelas on the matches, no? FIFA sure do think of everything :o

What do you think bothers them more, that the people back home enjoy the matches they are watching for free on their national broadcaster, or that they have a nice fat income from the sale of the most talked about stadium accessory of any tournament? Im fans from all over the world over there would buy one even if they hate them, even as gifts for people back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

johngalway wrote: »
    I heard on the radio about a week ago that FIFA give the host country 20% of all tickets. How much of that 20% gets to locals I can't tell you.
    Amzing that 20% can cause all that noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What do you think bothers them more, that the people back home enjoy the matches they are watching for free on their national broadcaster, or that they have a nice fat income from the sale of the most talked about stadium accessory of any tournament? Im fans from all over the world over there would buy one even if they hate them, even as gifts for people back home.

We're not the ones who'll get them banned. It's the broadcasters and footballers like Evra who'll succeed if anybody does. Just because there are branded ones by FIFA available doesn't mean that they can't get banned from matches. FIFA don't like trouble and when the vuvuzelas cause significant trouble a decision will be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Haddockman wrote: »
    Amzing that 20% can cause all that noise.

Some sections of the travelling crowd are blowing them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

FIFA make €2.5bn on tv rights for the World cup and not all of the matches are fta in countries.
    Spain and Italy for example only show one match per day fta the rest are on pay tv.
    Broadcasters are definitely losing viewers for matches involving neutral countries as there is no atmosphere at the matches .
    Those things should have been banned in advance .

I do wonder what kind of affect these things are having on the global viewing figues.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

We're not the ones who'll get them banned. It's the broadcasters and footballers like Evra who'll succeed if anybody does. Just because there are branded ones by FIFA available doesn't mean that they can't get banned from matches. FIFA don't like trouble and when the vuvuzelas cause significant trouble a decision will be made.

The broadcasters appealed to FIFA to do something about it well before the start of the championship. It was the main thing to come out of last years confed cup/warm up tournament.

• Advertisement

They are very bad in the game on now, or maybe thats just cos everything is worse on ITV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The experience of a few thousand people in the stadium shouldn't take precedence over the experience of the millions of us watching these matches at home. Vuvuzelas are headwrecking, both for viewers and for players. Evra has already blamed them for France's sub-par performance, and while I take that with a pinch of salt, the noise must make things a bit more difficult for players who aren't used to them.

FIFA were idiots not to ban them after the negative reaction they received after the Confederations Cup.

So far we've had 6 games and the 5 i've seen have been absolutely terrible; if things to continue as this, the world cup will be remembered for being annoying and really bad - hardly what anybody wants (i missed the opening game which was said to be very good)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

jordainius wrote: »
    If someone wanted to sample South African culture then they should go on holiday there. Why not expand on the "culture" argument; a few sad facts of the South African culture also include higher than average incidences of murder/crime/rape and from my viewing of the world cup so far it appears that racial segregation is alive and well, because I sure as hell aren't seeing many white South Africans.

What's that to do with what happpens at South African football matches? White South Africans are in the vast minority and they don't like football as a general rule.

Patrice Evra blaming the vuvuzelas for their performance against Uruguay... :D

This threat to ban them reminds me of the Cricket World Cup in 2007. A turgid atmosphere because the authorities increased the price to avoid the typical Caribbean drums and music at the tournament - the local atmosphere. They learned their lesson for this year...and embraced it..

I think the problem is they have it stuck on "ear killer".

Reading around about them people talk about "music", "teaching fans to play songs", etc. so I'm guessing that they can be used to create atmosphere if used properly. Unfortunately the majority seem to be blowing as hard as they can into them for as long as they can. Thousands of people doing this is just called "noise". Even a full blown orchestra sounds like crap if you carry on like that. If people aren't going to use them properly then ban them.

dfx- wrote: »
    This threat to ban them reminds me of the Cricket World Cup in 2007. A turgid atmosphere because the authorities increased the price to avoid the typical Caribbean drums and music at the tournament - the local atmosphere. They learned their lesson for this year...and embraced it..

Ah, important distinction. I don't know what you listen to, but that is not music. If it were music, there would be no problem. People like music, people don't like 90 minutes of b-flat.

• Advertisement

If I can get used to watching eejits dressed in leprechaun beards and waving plastic hammers at football matches, then I'm sure I can get used to hearing these things.

the leprechaun suits and plastic hammers don't make that kind of noise :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

it ruins the atmosphere! sounds like a constant irritating drone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That penalty incident highlighted the complete shítness of them. There are no climaxes, anti climaxes, build ups, ebbs, flows, just a constant fúcking drone.

Even "my lovely Horse" had two chords!

Aidric wrote: »
    That penalty incident highlighted the complete shítness of them. There are no climaxes, anti climaxes, build ups, ebbs, flows, just a constant fúcking drone.

Most of the crowd neither know nor are about this game, they just blow man they just blow!

Its killing football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement