Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vuvuzela - will you be able to stand them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

mike65 wrote: »
    Most of the crowd neither know nor are about this game, they just blow man they just blow!

Its killing football.

Haha!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Ah, important distinction. I don't know what you listen to, but that is not music. If it were music, there would be no problem. People like music, people don't like 90 minutes of b-flat.

The point remains..the local atmosphere is critical to a tournament. And who is to say what is annoying and what isn't..

We like your noise, you can attend...we don't like yours, stay away..

I'm actually starting to think people would prefer empty stadiums :rolleyes: Except that is for anyone who is there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The CIA have just added the Vuvuzela to their torture "must have" accessory of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

People in this thread defending Vuvuzelas make me want to vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why are these people given tickets then? If you have no interest in the game stay at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

dooferoaks wrote: »
    The CIA have just added the Vuvuzela to their torture "must have" accessory of the year.

I hear it's a toss up between Vuvuzelas and incessant whining.

dfx- wrote: »
    The point remains..the local atmosphere is critical to a tournament. And who is to say what is annoying and what isn't..

We like your noise, you can attend...we don't like yours, stay away..

I'm actually starting to think people would prefer empty stadiums :rolleyes: Except that is for anyone who is there...

The 20/20 world cup was better attended because it was cheaper, not to do with any musical instrument, I don't see the relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Haddockman

Cos the stadiums would be half empty. SA getting the WC was about politics and politics alone. Someone in Africa had to get the gig and nowhere else is equipped.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    The 20/20 world cup was better attended because it was cheaper, not to do with any musical instrument, I don't see the relevance.

For ease of source, Wikipedia on the 2007 tournament..
    The 2007 World Cup organizers were criticized early on for being over-commercialized and, in particular, the generally smaller crowds have been blamed on the ICC's security restrictions on things such as outside food, signs, replica kits and musical instruments, despite Caribbean cricketing customs,[33] as well as the authorities being accused of "running [cricket and cricketing traditions] out of town, then sanitising it out of existence".[34] Sir Viv Richards echoed the concerns.[35] The ICC were also condemned for high prices for tickets and concessions, which were considered unaffordable for the local population in many of the locations.[36] ICC CEO, Malcolm Speed, said that the ICC recognized the problem but said it was the local organizers' fault.[37] However, the later matches had more crowds as the tournament progressed with the local organizers easing restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Vuvuzela instruction manual

Vuvuzela.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice selective highlighting there, So the local fans would have happily trooped along paying a months wages, but only if they could bring their instruments?

All to do with cost, and the number of tourists there, little, if anything to do with instruments or lack of.

So, in the spirit of your post, a bit more selective highlighting.
    The 2007 World Cup organizers were criticized early on for being over-commercialized and, in particular, the generally smaller crowds have been blamed on the ICC's security restrictions on things such as outside food, signs, replica kits and musical instruments, despite Caribbean cricketing customs,[33] as well as the authorities being accused of "running [cricket and cricketing traditions] out of town, then sanitising it out of existence".[34] Sir Viv Richards echoed the concerns.[35] The ICC were also condemned for high prices for tickets and concessions, which were considered unaffordable for the local population in many of the locations.[36] ICC CEO, Malcolm Speed, said that the ICC recognized the problem but said it was the local organizers' fault.[37] However, the later matches had more crowds as the tournament progressed with the local organizers easing restrictions.

Even if they could afford it or even if they were given free tickets they wouldn't be able to bring in their instruments or signs..high ticket prices are of secondary relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

dfx- wrote: »
    What's that to do with what happpens at South African football matches?

I never said the other issues I talked about in my post had anything to do with what happens in football matches in South Africa, and you know full well that I didn't.

My point was that the defence of these stupid noise makers based on the fact that they are part of South Africa's "culture" is nonsense and irrelevant. We're not watching the world cup to find out more about South Africa's culture, we're watching it to watch football matches.

I can't believe people are defending these stupid things, they are irritating a massive amount of people all over the world, they are ruining the atmosphere of the games. They add nothing positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They are surely a health and safety issue! An ear can only take so much! They are the most annoying thing ever! They are ruining my World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

World Cup organiser considers vuvuzela ban after TV complaints

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/world-cup-vuvuzela-ban-tv-complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Aidric wrote: »

Sums it up for me , from one of the campaingers to bring the WC to SA .

Quote;
    "I would prefer singing. It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing," he said.
    "In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Haddockman

Cos the stadiums would be half empty. SA getting the WC was about politics and politics alone. Someone in Africa had to get the gig and nowhere else is equipped.

Morocco would have been a much better choice tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Maybe someone could pay a few lads to throw the horns onto the pitch to get them banned.

Seriously, it's worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I personally don't mind them myself too much. But I'd hate to have bought tickets for game, travelled to South Africa and have to listen to some dude behind you blowing a Vuvezela in your ear for 90 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Osu wrote: »
    I personally don't mind them myself too much. But I'd hate to have bought tickets for game, travelled to South Africa and have to listen to some dude behind you blowing a Vuvezela in your ear for 90 mins.

I really don't know how Portsmouth have had an attendance greater than one for the past 10 years :(

Maybe someone could pay a few lads to throw the horns onto the pitch to get them banned.

Seriously, it's worth a try.

LOL. ...

I was thinking that myself ... Sabotage !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Its killing football.

Steady on, Michael.

Honestly but imagine going to a game and have one of these things been blown right at the back of your head :(

I went to USA 94 group games , during the MEXICO game (Florida) there was one Mexican women who let off the highest pitch scream everytime Ireland even put in a tackle , cross , shot .
    Swear I don't know how I didn't feed her to the crocs , but these horns would drive me over the edge .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was in the Natural History Museum today, very interesting.

Apparently the Vuvuzela was imported to SA by Irish immigrants.

Here's a picture of an ancient Irish one.

31823_397396082686_677337686_4862808_7023055_n.jpg

/ rushes to check calendar .. No it's not April 1st :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm really hopeful that the crowd situation will sort itself out by the latter stages as more and more national fans get down there. Then the South African authorities won't be stuck between profits on tickets and an enjoyable experience for everyone who isn't South-African, at which point, they'll ban them and we'll enjoy the last 16 in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Des wrote: »

My mam was telling me they found similar instruments at Eamhain Mhacha. Apparently they were used to rouse the troops prior to battle. Likewise, I believe that in South Africa their primary use was for sending signals between clans.

I think the drone they make is horrible and my main issue with them is they drown out the crowd - as someone pointed out earlier, you can barely even hear any reaction to penalties or goals being scored. It won't make me not watch the big games, but it does grate even during those games. What it does do is make me turn off or put on mute the lesser games: I'd never watch Algeria v Slovenia normally, but given that it's the World Cup, I'd generally leave it on while I'm reading the paper and look up every time it sounds like something interesting is happening. Today it was straight onto mute. That's one less viewer the sponsors' ads reached at half-time etc. and I'm sure there's millions around the world doing the same. FIFA is ultimately motivated by dollars and you can be sure there's market research being conducted (including analysis of Twitter and Facebook posts) across the world right now and once it shows that viewership has been affected, the ban will come. Can't see how you can easily enforce such a ban though...

Though the Germany v Aus game is quite entertaining (thought the ridiculous Cahill sending off has now ruined it), that's the first decent game I've watched - they've been pretty boring games for neutrals in my opinion. Not saying that's the fault of those poxy horns, the point is that for many people if they're going to sit through 90minutes of mindless droning, what they're watching needs to be a little more entertaining than what we've seen so far.

What does seem very, very strange to me though is the lack of shots of the crowd. Part of the World Cup is seeing all the different fans from the different countries doing their thing. I can't remember ever watching a football match that showed as few cuts to the crowd as I've seen in every game so far - what's up with that? Is it possibly related to the vuvuzelas - as in for some reason the SA directors don't want to be showing shots of people blowing the horns?

The attraction of the World Cup is that it is a truly global event that allows you to soak up the atmosphere in addition to the actual football being played. What I've seen so far is just a series of reasonably poor football matches with the majority of the atmosphere being drowned out by the drone.

I'd say your head would be wrecked if you went to the trouble of bringing a musical instrument over thousands of miles with you (as many supporters do) only to find noone can hear it due to the drone of the vuvuzelas....

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Des wrote: »

:D i cant find anything that verifies this online, any links

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

What bout the lads blowing these god forsaken horns, do they not want to talk to their mates about referees decisions, team tactics or general random football chat, if i went to a match and my friend pulled out one of them yokes id shove it where the sun dont shine. I was gardening yesterday afternoon after watching the first game and I thought I was being followled by a flock of bees all evening.

They are probably getting in for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Been busy since Friday so just after watching my first full game (Ger v Aus) and Jaysus, my ears are still buzzing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Cant afford bread , clothes and water , But can afford these and WORLD CUP TICKETS ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Fair play to the USA fans, they were the first and only crowd thus far that I could hear chanting over the sound of the horns...

USA, USA, USA!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Mad. I've started imitating the noise during quieter moments at work.

Anyhoo, write to Sepp to complain if you can be bothered.

http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Fair play to the USA fans, they were the first and only crowd thus far that I could hear chanting over the sound of the horns...

USA, USA, USA!!!

And the English fans got "God save the queen" out a few times. But nothing like the normal chanting, singing you'd attach to the English fans.

There is no atmosphere at all at these games, heaven knows how a "Droning" noise for 90 mins is astmosphere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I was ready to throw the TV out of the window

Sounds like a nest of angry wasps

really really really really really annoying !!

I saw loads of people wearing ear defenders at the SA game on Friday , don't blame them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dunno what the point in complaining is, it's not going to improve. The stadiums are half empty, and the people who are there are locals - not the hardcore away fans who follow the teams around Europe - they've been priced out of it.

Take away the vuvuzelas, and there'll be no atmosphere. half empty stadiums, with most of those who are they disinterested neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Trust the Germans to come up with a fix

http://www.surfpoeten.de/tube/vuvuzela_filter

My german aint great but scroll down about 2/3 of the page and there are 2 sample sound clips to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

How to stop the Vuvuzelas

7198_0de6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Will they be banned??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286406/WORLD-CUP-2010-Organisers-ban-vuvuzela-noise-complaints.html?ITO=1490

It maybe tradition for them to be used at SA games which is fair enough but they do not need to use them all game every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

I think they're great tbh. Can't see what the problem is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Leejo wrote: »
    I think they're great tbh. Can't see what the problem is...

You don't need to see them, just listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the quotes don't make it sound like they are in any danger of being banned.

The guy says if they are used as a weapon or missle they may be banned, he mentions nothing about banning them cause people find them annoying.

for the record, I'd gladly see them banned - hate them - ruining any atmosphere the World Cup may have. They do not add any atmosphere themselves, just a constant whail of noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This guy created an audio filter for the Vuvuzela racket, it's in German but if you scroll down he has a before and after example, just let it buffer as it's a little slow. Fantastic results.

Would be great if the broadcasters would use something like this.

Not being smart here, but this is the first time I've ever heard people complaining en masse about "atmosphere" being impaired in games viewed on TV..

Does anybody really tune in to hear the crowd - on the off-chance you can even make out half of them?

The EPL is easily the most popular league here on the SF and the crowd noise there is, excepting the odd game, pretty moribund.

Do you really need a burst of tinny, canned cheering to help you enjoy a goal?

I think people are just rationalizing their dislike of the horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I think its one of thouse things that you dont realise it's there until it's gone.

I honestly think that these stupid horns make the whole TV experience worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Doesn't look FIFA are going to make any mov

What odds on them appearing at other football tournaments/leagues?
    World Cup 2010: South Africa will not ban vuvuzelas

The vuvuzela has already made a big impact at the World Cup
    World Cup organisers say they will not ban vuvuzelas from stadiums in South Africa despite numerous complaints.

The sound of the plastic horn has been likened to the drone of a thousand bees or a herd of stampeding elephants.

Cristiano Ronaldo says the noise affects players' concentration while some fans watching on television claim they cannot hear the match commentary.

But a World Cup spokesman insisted vuvuzelas are "ingrained in the history of South Africa" and will remain.

Rich Mkhondo also said vuvuzelas had worldwide appeal.

"Let us not make this a South Africa instrument alone," he said. "A vuvuzela is now an international instrument. People buy them and stuff them in their suitcase to go home.

"Only a minority are against vuvuzelas. You either love them or hate. We in South Africa love them."

A recent survey found that the sound emitted by a vuvuzela was the equivalent to 127 decibels - louder than a drum's 122 decibels, or a referee's whistle at 121.8 decibels.

Portugal star Ronaldo is the latest World Cup star to voice unease about the trumpet.

"It is difficult for anyone on the pitch to concentrate," said the Real Madrid striker. "A lot of players don't like them, but they are going to have to get used to them."

France captain Patrice Evra blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

France captain Patrice Evra blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What odds on them appearing at other football tournaments/leagues?

No doubt there'll be a few jokers in the crowds with them over the premier league's opening weekend!

• Advertisement

No doubt there'll be a few jokers in the crowds with them over the premier league's opening weekend!
    It would be easier to implement a ban on vuvuzelas in the EPL.

Advertisement