Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs Shape/line-up

Options
  • 05-06-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

I was reading an intresting bit on vital football and they where talking about how we should line-up next year especially in champions League games.
    as 4-4-2 could leave us too open at the back and to be honest with the players we have I could see us working very well in a 4-2-3-1 if we can get that "special" signing to lead the line
    A Hudd and Sandro/Palacios defensive duo sitting behind Bale Modric and Lennon would make a brilliantly midfield that's very difficult to break down and lethal on the counter attack with a more clinical Pav up top it could bring us that extra bit of grit that could see us get more points away from home and in Europe.
    With players like Bently and Kranjcar we should be able to mix it up nicely as well and change our shape to a 4-4-2 if nessicary and against weaker teams we could use 4-4-2 as well and try to help the goal difference as best we can.
    Of course this is all dependant on getting a forward who can hold up the ball and finish chances.
    Any Ideas?
    Discuss :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

I was reading an intresting bit on vital football and they where talking about how we should line-up next year especially in champions League games.
    as 4-4-2 could leave us too open at the back and to be honest with the players we have I could see us working very well in a 4-2-3-1 if we can get that "special" signing to lead the line
    A Hudd and Sandro/Palacios defensive duo sitting behind Bale Modric and Lennon would make a brilliantly midfield that's very difficult to break down and lethal on the counter attack with a more clinical Pav up top it could bring us that extra bit of grit that could see us get more points away from home and in Europe.
    With players like Bently and Kranjcar we should be able to mix it up nicely as well and change our shape to a 4-4-2 if nessicary and against weaker teams we could use 4-4-2 as well and try to help the goal difference as best we can.
    Of course this is all dependant on getting a forward who can hold up the ball and finish chances.
    Any Ideas?
    Discuss :)
    who would be in your team for this line up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Gomes
    Corluka daws king BAE
    ----Hudd---Sandro/Palacios
    Lennon
    modric
    Bale
    Special Signing---

I think unlike Liverpool two seasons ago with Lennon and Bale you would get width as they like to hug the touchline and hudds range of passing could be best used as well as modric's ability to set up our counter attacks Someone like Dzeko and I do think we will need a big signing to keep us in fourth and compete in Europe simultaniously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

dzeko is vry good but hes overrated. i think defoe and him are similar standard. p.s i dont support tottenham so no bias towards defoe...i prob see dzeko play more. jst my opinion

Gomes
    Corluka daws king BAE
    ----Hudd---Sandro/Palacios
    Lennon
    modric
    Bale
    Special Signing---

no room for crouch, defoe, keane gudjohnson(or is his loan spell up, not sure) and pav? we all seem to be talking of how great our strike force was last season and now we need a new one? two of which are recent signings(defoe 1 1/2 yrs and crouch last season)

not doubting this is the way forward just curious

Well I can't see Defoe leading the line and I'm not sure if pav is consistent enough and crouch doesn't score many goals but like I said 4-4-2 at home and when chasing games we would still need our strikers and for rotation purposes too I don't think we have a bad strike force but i don't think it's as good as it could be

• Advertisement

àgreed but our best season in years was the result of this team of players playing a 4-4-2. why chnage a winning formula? fair enough improve the positions but why rip the structure of the sucess right out?

thats what happened under ramos! what happened? fair enough we won a cup but very nearly got relegated the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

like the idea of bale and lennon on the wings
    apart from that it all far too technical for me

keane=cock wrote: »
    àgreed but our best season in years was the result of this team of players playing a 4-4-2. why chnage a winning formula? fair enough improve the positions but why rip the structure of the sucess right out?

thats what happened under ramos! what happened? fair enough we won a cup but very nearly got relegated the following season.
    That's true to be honest if we look at it from last year there are a lot of place's we dropped points that we could pick up this season coming but I think we are going to have to be more flexible with our formation instead of sticking to a 4-4-2 although in games against arsenal and chelsea we seemed to of got the hang of defending really well with a 4-4-2 and counter attacking superbly both games could of seen us put several more goals past them if we had been more clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

like the idea of bale and lennon on the wings
    apart from that it all far too technical for me

+1000,

it just seems needlessly complex! In Europe maybe I could see us changing things away from home to inter/bayern/Madrid but home to wolves or something I wanna see 4-4-2.

I agree though in that we need that special signing from somewhere!

That's true to be honest if we look at it from last year there are a lot of place's we dropped points that we could pick up this season coming but I think we are going to have to be more flexible with our formation instead of sticking to a 4-4-2 although in games against arsenal and chelsea we seemed to of got the hang of defending really well with a 4-4-2 and counter attacking superbly both games could of seen us put several more goals past them if we had been more clinical.

think alot of this is down to the form gareth bale showed towards the second half of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

ziedth wrote: »
    +1000,

In Europe maybe I could see us changing things away from home to inter/bayern/Madrid but home to wolves or something I wanna see 4-4-2.

Remember you need to be in the group stages to play them ;) , all this talk of playing the big boys is making me nervous, lose in the play off and we'd all be gutted...so calm down, calm down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Screw it :)

I have been waiting 15 years to say things like this I'd rather tempt fate and get as much distance as I can our of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Need to play Bale at left back. Sure he'll take a while to become defensively sound, but his runs from deep are if anything more dangerous, and it frees up our Lm to play inside when he bombs on.
    Therefore
    Gomes
    Charlie/Naughton/Walker Dawson King Bale
    Lennon Hudd Wilson Modric
    Gud/Kranjcar OR 2 from Pav/Defoe/Crouch/Keane(if still there)
    CF
    Can easily change it around if need be, with the players on the pitch.

Need to play Bale at left back. Sure he'll take a while to become defensively sound, but his runs from deep are if anything more dangerous, and it frees up our Lm to play inside when he bombs on.
    Therefore
    Gomes
    Charlie/Naughton/Walker Dawson King Bale
    Lennon Hudd Wilson Modric
    Gud/Kranjcar OR 2 from Pav/Defoe/Crouch/Keane(if still there)
    CF
    Can easily change it around if need be, with the players on the pitch.

wouldnt consider either a starter imo.

no room for bassong or woodgate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Big talk today that Iaquinta is on his way to us next season. He's a big target man type centre forward, a little better technically than Luca Toni perhaps but certainly no great shakes.

If it were up to me I'd have Pav leading the line as first choice striker. I honestly would sell defoe in the morning for any price to get him off the books.

Advertisement