Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can we do?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Please please help.

We have just moved into a house that we are renting from a letting agency.

we've been here not even a month and we have been disturbed by next door a ridiculous amount of times.

they constantly play loud music that nearly shakes the house. all day every day. sometiimes til 4 in the morning. they always wake up our young daughter with the noise and we're constantly knocking on the wall to which they just hurl back abuse and turn up the music louder.

we've been in and talked nicely to them, explained that we both work and that we have a young child to which one responded 'ah yeh we do too but they cant hear it', they didnt even turn the music down while we were there let alone when we left, it eventually stopped at around 4, after all three of us were wrecked. it was the last straw now because i couldnt go to work this morning i was so utterly exhausted.

we have reported it to the gardai three times just so theres a note of it as well, but obviously their hands are tied because its a civil matter. oh and they own the house. they so nicely pointed that out because apparently that gives them the right to do what they want cause they've been here longer!

we love the house but they are making our lives hell with this music. they just dont give a **** about anyone and we want out because of it. trouble is we cant afford to lose our deposit or pay remainder of rent (11 months!) especially if ive to miss work because of ther noise!

i would contact threshold but have e-mailed them before regarding damp in a previous apartment and never got a reply so i dont have much faith in that option tbh! will ring PRTB on monday to ask about rights but would appreciate any advice in meantime.

I know its not the landlords fault that they're assholes but we seriously cannot live here any longer. its impacting on our daughters sleep and our lives in general from sheer exhaustion. my partner has written a letter regarding some court thing and a noise regulation or something that he intends to send to them through registered post but bth they're not the kind of people who will care, and if they do care it will just escalate things further id say, i think it'd add fuel to the fire and turn things bitter. i dont know though, any opinions?

please help! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Best option is to move.

Tell your landlord that you would like somebody else to take over the lease. Make sure they refuse this request and you can serve notice and get your deposit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Best option is to move.

we cant without deposit, and we may have to pay remaining rent for the year due to breaking a lease so obviously we cant move then. can barely afford rent on one house, not a chance we can on two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

CK2010 wrote: »
    we cant without deposit, and we may have to pay remaining rent for the year due to breaking a lease so obviously we cant move then. can barely afford rent on one house, not a chance we can on two!
    Must have missed my edit.

This is your friend.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0027/sec0186.html

Tell them you have two lovely tenants lined up who are finally off the gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

yep missed the edit. tbh i think he knows how bad the neighbours are as they have had to have pissed off previous tenants so he'll prob allow anything just to have tenants in the place, cant see him refusing. worth a try but then we're stuck if he says sure go ahead! thanks though, good idea.

Advertisement