Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking bad?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Would it detrimental to my leaving cert to have a few drinks tonight?! Would my few hours of study today be wasted, the beer killing off valuable brain cells like!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Would it detrimental to my leaving cert to have a few drinks tonight?! Would my few hours of study today be wasted, the beer killing off valuable brain cells like!?

The fact that you're even asking about this proves that you know it's a bad thing to do days before the exams start :p
    Avoid it at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Being a Muslim, I don't drink. But I would strongly reccpmend you not to drink a few days before exams.. Might be bad for retaining info...?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Drinking good.

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Drinking good.

Lol factor :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

In reality it's not gonna do too much harm as long as it doesn't hurt your study tomorrow. So just don't go too wild and make sure you're in bed at a reasonable time. It's not like you're gonna be studying past 9 anyway, I figure you might as well have some fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Alcohol does not kill brain cells. That is a myth. That said however, give the drinking a break till your finished your exams. There'll be plenty of time afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Personally I wouldn't, Just think about how many drinks you can enjoy in about 3 weeks..... :D No harm in holding off another bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Personally, I'd advise giving it a miss until after the exams. You're not going to undo all the study you did or kill off too many brain cells (I've also heard that alcohol doesn't actually kill brain cells, although it's hard to get definite information either way so that could easily just be a rumour), but in my own experience it's very hard to study and concentrate after a night out. You don't want to lose a whole day of study at this late stage. There'll be plenty of celebrating after the exams, don't worry :p

In reality it's not gonna do too much harm as long as it doesn't hurt your study tomorrow. So just don't go too wild and make sure you're in bed at a reasonable time. It's not like you're gonna be studying past 9 anyway, I figure you might as well have some fun!

It's scientifically proven that drinking kills the PROCESS of producing brain cells. It basiccally deteriotrs your brains ability to produce brain cells, even if it doesn't actually kill your brain cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

fufureida wrote: »
    It's scientifically proven that drinking kills the PROCESS of producing brain cells. It basiccally deteriotrs your brains ability to produce brain cells, even if it doesn't actually kill your brain cells.

Drinking to excess maybe, having a couple of pints isn't going to give you brain damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

fufureida wrote: »

Scientific medical research has actually demonstrated that the moderate consumption of alcohol is associated with better cognitive (thinking and reasoning) skills and memory than is abstaining from alcohol. Moderate drinking doesn’t kill brain cells but helps the brain function better into old age. Studies around the world involving many thousands of people report this finding.
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/HealthIssues/1103162109.html

But my point of waiting till after the exams still stands.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Drinking bad? good

There fixed:D

Seriously though OP just having a quite few and getting to relax with some friends will do no harm. Just don't be crawling back in the door when the birds are singing!

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Scientific medical research has actually demonstrated that the moderate consumption of alcohol is associated with better cognitive (thinking and reasoning) skills and memory than is abstaining from alcohol. Moderate drinking doesn’t kill brain cells but helps the brain function better into old age. Studies around the world involving many thousands of people report this finding.
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/HealthIssues/1103162109.html

But my point of waiting till after the exams still stands.... :rolleyes:

the key word is moderate. Sadly people forget the golden moderation rule alot! It's no secret in Ireland.

For better brain functionality I opt for brazil nuts... Lol and ofcourse the all important apple a day. Their are far safer ways to keep your brain in check rather than drinking IMO.

Saying that moderate drinking Is tottaly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

It won't do you any damage I would think. Just don't go too mad and you'll still be able to do plenty of study tomorrow.

If you keep it to 5 or 6 pints there'll be no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Depends what you're like. You can have a few scoops but do it sensibly. Also it depends on what your attitude is in the morning. If you're completely immobilised by a vicious hangover, I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, I can get work done better when I'm hungover, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Ruski wrote: »
    Depends what you're like. You can have a few scoops but do it sensibly. Also it depends on what your attitude is in the morning. If you're completely immobilised by a vicious hangover, I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, I can get work done better when I'm hungover, but that's just me.

That, my friend, is impossible.

pbowenroe wrote: »
    That, my friend, is impossible.

Nothing is impossible. Difficult, but hardly impossible.

Well... it only works with maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Strange it would work for maths as I'd believe you'd be more logically awake and aware after being well rested rather than hung over =/

Crow92 wrote: »
    Strange it would work for maths as I'd believe you'd be more logically awake and aware after being well rested rather than hung over =/

I dunno. Recently, I once did a maths exam hungover and managed to get the highest mark I ever got in honours maths. I seem to just be very relaxed but able to work after a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Well you know what you have to do before the maths papers than lad! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Ah no go out and enjoy yourself
    its good to have a few socials
    Just don't get hammered

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

go out get absolutely hammered thats what i saw if you dont care about the leaving sure why not

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

So did ya have a few last night? Were ya able to get up this morning and study?

Advertisement