Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

45yr old going to collage

Options
  • 05-06-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all, 45 year old male going to collage for the first this September. I will be doing Fetac level 5 Sales & Marketing Management course at Limerick Collage of Further Education. Is there any one out there that has done this type of course before?
    I have done a variety of jobs such as retail, security, IT & driving before but none of high calibre so I’m hoping it will open a few doors for me. Any advice would be most helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not really clear what you want advice on :) If you are concerned about going to college at 45, don't be. Especially in Further Education you will find your classmates are all ages from school leavers, to your age and older. The teachers are well used to older students, most think it is an advantage to have a few mature students in a class, it creates a work ethic and a mature atmosphere in the classroom.

You will find fetac quite manageable so long as you hit the ground running and don't let yourself get behind with projects. You can do the bare minimum, which is unlikely for a mature student, or you can push yourself to really do well and come out with a distinction. Its really up to you.

I hope you enjoy your year, good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pben

Thanks for your advice
    I am looking forward to this course and will take seriously, was looking for advice about modules & assignments as I will need to work part time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You really can't get information on assignements until you start the course. Even if someone was there last year there is no guarantee that the assignments will be the exact same.

I have been trying to find certificate specs and modules for you, but in their wisdom Fetac have changed their website, and it is now almost impossible to find anything. I would not worry too much about reading the modules though, they would not really be very helpful at this stage. Some of the modules make the courses seem way more complicated than they are.

The list of modules on the LCFE is rather general, so unless you have been given specific information you would be better to just wait and see what is on the course.

Sure I'll just go with the flow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onthehorizon

Hi pben!!

Congrats on going to do your course this Sept. You should contact LCFE and ask them about the modules and timetable of your course. Although they may only have rough ideas based on last year, they should be able to give you an idea of what to expect.

I too am starting there this Sept on a different course, but I asked about which modules and about the timetable as I too will be looking to work part time plus I have kids and a household to run as well.
    I spoke to the Head of Department for my course and she told me how it all worked last year regarding timetable and said that they are hoping to run it the same this year as it worked very well and she didn't think it was going to change.

I am still going to have to wait till induction till I know for definate but at least I can make rough plans for now.

I found LCFE very helpful with answering all my questions about anything so it is worth giving it a go at calling them or e0mailing and finding out.

Hope that helps and best of luck in September:D

• Advertisement

Hi, onthehorizon congrats to you & good luck :)

I got a rough guide aswell hope to fit in some work around it. what course are you doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carja

Good Luck to both pben and onthehorizon on starting back i did feetac 5 in electronics in Galway last year and I was 38 then and worried but I enjoyed every minute of it and now starting degree in Computer and Electronic engineering. If you turn up and do whats asked of you within the time limits you'll pass with flying colours:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

Starting a Level 8 Hons Degree in Midwifery this September in Trinity. I'll be 40. Scared beyond belief and it's only July!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carja

Well done Terric and best of luck in September. You'll fly through the course :)

Advertisement