Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistance

Options
  • 05-06-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

My mate and myself bought a domain(.com) he's hosting it and won't give me or anyone the hosting password . He is just hosting the website its wordpress btw as he doesen't know how to design the web page the website is currently offline.

The website I am hoping to design is one for football supporters I would like to have a few things on it:

Home
    Photo Gallery
    Forum ( linked to a already forum we have up and running )
    Shop
    Contact

Thing is I haven't got a notion how to design a website? Is there any free templates I can use that I can pass onto my friend who in turn can upload this to word press?

I can't for the life of me use photoshop so if anyone can help out with a few images I would be extremly greatful also.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Google Free wordpress templates

Google stock images or look at sites like istock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭one1

Is there any free website builders I can use that when completed I can give to my mate he can upload to wordpress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

There are two sites. wordpress.com gives you a signup for a blog. wordpress.org gives you the whole wordpress as a "content management system" (or i guess you could say the downloadable version).

If he's using wordpress.com you can already pick out the themes you want there and it should be easy to "install". There is no uploading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭one1

How can I link my forum to the website?
    And I want to have a donate section how can I link that to paypal?

I have downloaded a few plugins also how can I put these plugins on my pages?

There are plenty of tutorials out there on using wordpress if you put the time in looking for them on Google tbh.

Upload the plugins then activate them in the plugins menu in wordpress.
    To be honest if you are struggling that much with it you might consider getting someone to design the site for you and then you both can look after adding the content and updating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

After initial teething problems thankfully there all put to bed:D Only one minor problem I added a photo gallery but the only think is the gallery is located half way down the page :rolleyes: How can i re-locate it to the top of the page?

Also, could someone please do me a favour? :p Is there any chance someone could desgin me a wordpress template as i'm hopeless at photoshop

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

James_LWAU wrote: »
    After initial teething problems thankfully there all put to bed:D Only one minor problem I added a photo gallery but the only think is the gallery is located half way down the page :rolleyes: How can i re-locate it to the top of the page?

Also, could someone please do me a favour? :p Is there any chance someone could desgin me a wordpress template as i'm hopeless at photoshop

Wow, that is some request

There are loads of themes for wordpress online both free and paid if you do a search on google.

If you are looking for someone to do a custom one then I suggest posting it in the thread below and paying someone to do it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802922

aye, cheers

Does anyone know how can I reposition the photo gallery:rolleyes:

Lads, Is there any chance I could design the theme on normal " paint "?

Anyone?

• Advertisement

aye, cheers

Does anyone know how can I reposition the photo gallery:rolleyes:"?

Without seeing the website, the code and the css not really. If you post a link to the actual page the gallery is on we can take a look.

aye, cheers
    Lads, Is there any chance I could design the theme on normal " paint "?

Not really, paint is useless. Look up a program called GIMP which is free and a better option.

Would someone be able to edit a single image for me using photoshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yeah, use GIMP or Paint.NET, both free programs will do the basics of photoshopping your image (as much as you should need for a website anyway!)

Thing is i've no idea how to use those programmes mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Paint.NET is just like paint but with more options. Have you even tried them yet? You open the image and choose what you want to do with it. Its pretty straight forward.

"The website I am hoping to design is one for football supporters I would like to have a few things on it:"

"Thing is I haven't got a notion how to design a website"

"I can't for the life of me use photoshop

James,

I think if you look at the above quotes from you and your mate and then look at this thread so far its fair to say that you havent a notion where to start with this as you admitted. However if you want to design the site yourself and maintain it then you are going to have to spend some time learning some of the tools you are going to need to be able to use to do this. Coming on asking people for help or adivce is one thing but asking them to do everything for you will teach you nothing. You have been given

At this stage you should be looking at online tutorials and at least trying some of the software and tools that has been mentioned. From your posts it seems you havent given any of them too much time to be fair.

www.w3schools.com for web design tutorials

www.lynda.com for online tutorials

Multiple wordpress tutorials

http://www.gimp.org/ Gimp download

If you arent willing to put some time into learning and looking at the above then you would be better off paying someone to do the website for you and look to maintain it and add the content yourself or just abandon the idea.

Thanks for those websites axwell. I downloaded Artisteer trial and created a theme but when I upload it to the dashboard on wp I keep getting this error

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in

Advertisement