Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Fibre Power Broadband in Kilkenny

Options
  • 05-06-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Anyone in Kilkenny using the UPC Fibre Power Broadband? I'm thinking of switching as Eircom is dog slow, especially for streaming video.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

UPC is the way to go... Eircom are terrible, blocking torrent sites and all this crack!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you can get anything else besides Eircom's resold Broadband service then go for it, paying phone line rental when all you want is ADSL is idiotic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

UPC are being taken to court by the music people in ireland because they are refusing to co-operate the way that Eircom did, so you should support them for this reason.

I am on the UPC 15 meg package, their product is excellent, I am getting savage pings, u/l and d/l speeds, but their customer 'service' will make you lose the will to live.

I repeat: THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE WILL MAKE YOU LOSE THE WILL TO LIVE see any of the numerous 'UPC made me lose the will to live' threads on this forum if in any doubt.

Once you get connected and are billed correctly and don't need to talk to anyone, you'll be sound but most people I speak to about it say they were overcharged, or had mistakes made on their bill, or had technicians calling round trying to install unsolicited hardware, or hardware that had been installed 3 months previously, or not closing accounts, or not opening accounts, or basically being a victim of the most fragmented, mis-managed wasteful installation and service organisation known to man.

God help you if you have to ring them to try and sort out a problem (usually of their doing).

But yeah, once you get past that, it's a good product. Watch your bill like a hawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 XavierMoreno

Yes Eircom is a joke now,especially as they are now rounding up all your calls to the next minute. Asked them could I block all outgoing calls and they said this is not possible. make about €20 of calls per month,added to Broadband package with Vat always comes in around €100 per month,which I expect to rise this month.

Their 'broadband' is fkin sh!t too.

You can get 30 meg with UPC, and they are bringing out 100 meg now as well (kinda pointless really with our current infrastructure) and Eircom go on about how their 3 meg service is the business.

They do have their act together customer service wise though, I'll give them that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 XavierMoreno

Anyone use 02 Home Broadband? My needs are basic and I see they charge €19.99 per month inclusive of vat for 15 gb and an initial fee of €89 for their router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

UPC have best broadband in Kilkenny ,way faster than anyone else and any problems i have had with upc just email them instead of ranting down the phone .I do this with all helpdesks if they are been difficult then you have time stamp and record of requests made .Always end of problem .Helpdesks want you stay ranting on phone its money spinner but in my experience always got sorted with UPC faster than any other provider .Email is the key :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyone use 02 Home Broadband? My needs are basic and I see they charge €19.99 per month inclusive of vat for 15 gb and an initial fee of €89 for their router.

Nobody can really tell you if it'll work great where you live, so called mobile broadband varys alot depending on your geographic location and how many users it has in your area.

An example of where I live it has both a Vodafone and O2 mast, Vodafone works line crap but O2 works fine...yet in other areas the opposite applys.

If you can get a lend of an O2 modem to test with before hand thats the best thing you can do

patrickk wrote: »
    UPC have best broadband in Kilkenny ,way faster than anyone else and any problems i have had with upc just email them instead of ranting down the phone .I do this with all helpdesks if they are been difficult then you have time stamp and record of requests made .Always end of problem .Helpdesks want you stay ranting on phone its money spinner but in my experience always got sorted with UPC faster than any other provider .Email is the key :)

You're actually dead right, I had forgotten that this is how I eventually got my problems resolved.

Usually it's like Ring, log in with customer details, listen to menus, press buttons, get frustrated and just hit zero to talk to an operator, log in with customer details, explain carefully that you already got your broadband installed and you didn't order the sports package and kindly ask in measured tones that they stop charging you for it, get told you need to deal with [insert department], get put on hold for 5 minutes while you listen to infurating jingles about how UPC's service is fking fantastic despite the fact that you are only ringing to complain about it, get transferred, log in with customer details, explain problem in detail to another minion, get transferred, get put on hold, get transferred, log in with customer details and explain problem once again.......

By the time you're explaining the problem for the third time you are so consumed with rage that you can't help but start shouting at the peon on the other end of the phone who's not at all to blame and is just doing the crappy job to service the 400k negative equity mortgage on their lego house in Portarlington, so they end up cutting you off for calling them a d!cksplash or whatever.

Then it's back to Ring, log in with customer details, listen to menus, press buttons, get frustrated and just hit zero to talk to an operator.......

Advertisement