Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone help me out?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Me again.. I tend to worry too much-

I know none of you can tell me what will happen exactly but just need a little honest reassurance hopefully.

I have written on here many times about my situation in Ireland. I am an American citizen who is in a 1 1/2 relationship with an Irish citizen. I came to Ireland a year ago for 2 weeks and then came back in January on a 90 day stamp. I was due to leave April 18 but my mom decided she wanted to come visit in July so I called the garda station and asked if I could get a permission to remain until then. The superintendent informed me that if I didn't tell the immigration officer at the airport, that I would have to write a letter to the DOJ. This was 2 weeks before April 18 and she said it would only take a week. After a few days, I received a letter with a processing number from the DOJ explaining that my application was in process. Well, I waited and waited, called and called, and spoke to her on several occasions just to make sure I wasn't in the country illegally while I waited on the decision. I ended up going over my 90 days when the letter came around May 6 saying that since I didn't tell the immigration officer at the airport, not even the DOJ could extend my stay so on that basis, I was refused. They said I had until May 25 to leave so I ordered the first ticket I could find which was May 11, because of the ash and arrived home.. sent in US entrance stamp on my passport (which took 2 weeks).. so in all honesty, I did everything above board and kept in contact with my garda station like I believed I should. Now I'm due to fly in on Sunday the 13th for only 3 weeks.. do you think all this will affect anything? I overstayed for 3 weeks but I was "processing" with the DOJ so according to my garda station, I was ok. I'm just freaking out that they will turn me away at Shannon on Sunday- I will be bringing all my correspondence and proof of mailing to the airport just in case.

Advice? Reassurance? Help? Anything to ease this mind?

Also, someone mentioned Ireland is 90 days in 180 period country. I had never heard that and the garda superintendent didn't mention it. I was under the impression that Ireland wasn't a part of the 22 countries that had this rule. Am I right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

Well if they say anything to you you have the back up of the Garda that you were informing what you were doing.I think as long as they know your being honest is the main thing I really would'nt worry about it.You could call the irish embassy here and tell them the story

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think you'll be fine. I think they're alot more lenient that one expects.

Advertisement